Design ideas wanted

I am posting two pictures below of my home theater closet, a before Hurricane Katrina and the new improved closet. What I am looking for is ideas of how to build in my equipment into the new closet.

As you can see there are two doors on the back side of the closet so that I have access to all the connections without having to pull equipment out to get to all the wiring.

I have widened the opening of the closet to 84inches with a height of 80 inches. What I would like to end up with is my TV in the middle and it measures 50 1/2 inches square. Also I would like to have storage for my DVD's and CD's without having them being seen while watching the TV. Also I don't want to be able to see the rear access doors from the front either. The doors are only for ease of access to the rear of the equipment. The doors are normal height and five foot across for the opening.

I would also use some of the space to put some of my Knome figurine collection if space is available.

I plan on using oak to build this with. The floors of the room will also be oak.
    Any ideas you might have can be posted here or leave me a PM as my computer is down while the house is being repaired. Any ideas and suggestions you have would be great. I would like to end up with the best design I can come up with, thanks Jeff.

The equipment that needs to go into this closet will be a large center channl speaker, DVD recorder, CD player, VCR and room for one more unit. In the original closet there was only about seven inches of space on either side of the TV and now there is about seventeen inches of space on each side of the TV.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by Grandpaw; 05-16-2006 at 08:31 AM.
    I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days...Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days. I just refuse to have bad ones!!!, Jeff

I would like to add that the speakers will not be in the closet, they will be on either side of the opening where the outlets are just up from the floor. I will also have lights that dim on either side about eye level. I wired in the surround speakers as well while I had everything taken apart.
    My idea for this unit was to have about six drawers down each side of the TV for DVD's, CD's and tapes with a shelf across the top of the TV for equipment and cubicles above that to set things in. I just thought I would ask here to see if there might be any better ideas.
    I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days...Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days. I just refuse to have bad ones!!!, Jeff

Sounds like a great plan. My question is this....do you toy around with your gear often once it's in place or do you set it up and then leave it alone? I ask because if you are lik me...I toy around often....therefore I like to have accessibility to move things and try new equipment etc etc.

I don't change mine a lot but I do like being able to check things and change things as needed. Below is a picture of what I think I want. I would like to use the entire opening and make it look like it is built into the wall.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Forum Regular
    check out salamander designs, go to the "configurer" page and create your own wall cabinet

Thanks to both of you for taking the time to respond to my post. I am really surprised that I didn't get more replies. If anyone has any more suggestions feel free to post them. Thanks again, Jeff

Thread Information