AR Newbie Registered Member

Denon DVD1910 vs Samsung HD931

At the low end of DVD players, anyone have an opinion on the Denon DVD1910 versus the Samsung HD931 ?

Also, connecting to a RPTV Toshiba 57HX83, is the DVI upconverted signal from the DVD player better than a good progressive scan component output ?

Finally, in the mid end is there any opinion on the DVD2910 versus the Marantz DV6400.

spf
    Canuck AV Nut

Smile Some opinion and one fact :o)

OK. Opinion first. Between the Denon 1910 and the Samsung DVI player I would venture to guess (As I have used neither of these specific models) that the Denon should still outperform the Samsung unit simply for the higher quality image of previous Denons I've owned and used over the Samsungs I've seen and used. That said, the new pricepoint for this and the DVD-1710 by Denon sets a new precedent and I'm wondering if corners were cut.

For a bit of fact now the 2910 and the Marantz 6400 are close cousins because of the merger between the two companies. Any differences between them would be subjective I would think. Actually, now that I think about it. The DV6400 may not have a DVI output but that is a marginal choice when it comes to overall quality IMHO. Hope this helps.

Shane

Quote Originally Posted by spf
    For a bit of fact now the 2910 and the Marantz 6400 are close cousins because of the merger between the two companies. Any differences between them would be subjective I would think.
    Marantz and Denon did not merge. The are owned by the same conglomerate, along with McIntosh, and operate as sole and separate entities. They have their own supplier base and design teams. Both are good companies and I'd imagine the poster should be happy with either. I agree though, Denon's video quality is exceptional.

Forum Regular
    Dryoda; some of your questions can be answered by going to REVIEWS on the AUDIO REVIEW website and under dvd players look for 3 people who wrote reviews on the Denon 1910.

spf
    Canuck AV Nut

Wink Yes Topspeed you're right :o)

From the Stereophile website regarding D&M Holdings

"The research and development, production and purchasing, and financial control activities of the two companies are to be combined as soon as possible. The Denon and Marantz brand names will be maintained, as will their respective sales, marketing, and distribution operations."

Sorry for any misunderstanding....

Shane

AR Newbie Registered Member
    Thanks a lot ...... i think the fact that the Samsung HD931 only uses the Faroudja-deinterlacer through the DVI and not through the component would swing it for me.

Reagrds.

Thread Information