Forum Regular

I Give Up This Ever Happen to Someone Else!

Well for my bedroom I finally got a Superight Orb Subwoofer that goes with my other 5 Orb Speakers (I have the same set up in the living room too) in my apartment. I had been using a cheaper less technically good Acoustic Research 108SP Subwoofer (100 watts). Luckily I hadn't sold my Acoustic Research Sub. Well the bottom line is because of the spacial structure/limitations of my bedroom, I couldn't get the subwoofer to sound as smooth and blend in as well as the Acousitic Research Sub and it was way to loud no matter how many different things I tried, setting wise. I felt I was in an area where the sound wasn't depressurized. It literally hurt my ears no matter what I tried. The same setup sounds great in my living room which is a much more open area & isn't in front of any wall. Anyway, I'm throwing in the towell & going to be selling this on Ebay. Am I the only person here this has happened to, that you replaced equipment with better equipment and couldn't get it to sound as good? Oh yes, both the living room and the bedroom have the same wall to wall carpet.

It's simply acoustics. Your bedroom is more enclose than the living room letting the bass waves stand and bounce around more, creating more harsh sounds. I'd suggest a bass trap, but I'm not too up on which ones are best or what the best placement would be, but you could screw around with that. Go back to acoustical-solutions and see what they offer.

I pretty much agree with Paul. It's room acoustics, so selling your speakers and buying different ones won't solve the problem.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by bjornb17
    I pretty much agree with Paul. It's room acoustics, so selling your speakers and buying different ones won't solve the problem.
    Yeah I realise that- not being sarcastic but as the other sub sounds good (obviously not as good as my living room setup which is what I thought I'd be able to more or less duplicate)
    I'm putting the Orb Subwoofer on Ebay- if anyone here wants it I'll lower my Ebay price, at a relatively good price & going back to my old sub which thank god I didn't sell. Also the Orb is 150 continuous watts peaking at 400 and the Acoustic Research is 100 watts so thats probably making a difference too. Too clarify this better, the sound was very good with my Acoustic Research Sub but I thought I would get even better sound with the Orb Supereight Subwoofer that goes with my orb speakers (as the sound is incredible in the living room). I don't understand though why an inferior sub like the ARS 108SP works better in this environment than the much better & more powerful Orb Sub. I realise acoustics can affect sound but didn't realise it would affect it by this much. The sound equilization in this room with the better sub is attrocious & perfect with the crappier less powerful sub. Again, the receiver & speakers are the same in both rooms.

Quote Originally Posted by EdwardGein
    Yeah I realise that- not being sarcastic but as the other sub sounds good (obviously not as good as my living room setup which is what I thought I'd be able to more or less duplicate)
    I'm putting the Orb Subwoofer on Ebay- if anyone here wants it I'll lower my Ebay price, at a relatively good price & going back to my old sub which thank god I didn't sell. Also the Orb is 150 continuous watts peaking at 400 and the Acoustic Research is 100 watts so thats probably making a difference too. Too clarify this better, the sound was very good with my Acoustic Research Sub but I thought I would get even better sound with the Orb Supereight Subwoofer that goes with my orb speakers (as the sound is incredible in the living room). I don't understand though why an inferior sub like the ARS 108SP works better in this environment than the much better & more powerful Orb Sub. I realise acoustics can affect sound but didn't realise it would affect it by this much. The sound equilization in this room with the better sub is attrocious & perfect with the crappier less powerful sub. Again, the receiver & speakers are the same in both rooms.
    Well i can kind of put myself in your shoes on this one. My Velodyne CHT-12 sounded amazing when i tested it out in a medium sized loft that opened up to the rest of the house. it sounded smooth and balanced, and not boomy. But on my smallish room (11x14 feet), it will get boomy quiet easily Nevertheless, I will probably be moving into a new apartment pretty soon which will have a living room larger than my current room. I'm anxious to see what happens

BTW... how is Hershon doing?

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by bjornb17
    Well i can kind of put myself in your shoes on this one. My Velodyne CHT-12 sounded amazing when i tested it out in a medium sized loft that opened up to the rest of the house. it sounded smooth and balanced, and not boomy. But on my smallish room (11x14 feet), it will get boomy quiet easily Nevertheless, I will probably be moving into a new apartment pretty soon which will have a living room larger than my current room. I'm anxious to see what happens

BTW... how is Hershon doing?
    Hershon is doing OK now that he has me taking his crap on this board, LOL!

I'm curious did you try to play around with your stuff in the small room to see if you could get the sound where you wanted, or close to it. If I didn't have the old sub I'd be doing that for the next week but with trepidation as if I play the same song over and over again testing things, chances are a neighbor will notice & complain & it doesn't help the manager is right below me. Luckilly, with my old set up no one has complained. I still can't believe the acoustics in a more wide open room are going to make the sub sound so much better than in a small enclosed room.

Quote Originally Posted by EdwardGein
    Hershon is doing OK now that he has me taking his crap on this board, LOL!

I'm curious did you try to play around with your stuff in the small room to see if you could get the sound where you wanted, or close to it. If I didn't have the old sub I'd be doing that for the next week but with trepidation as if I play the same song over and over again testing things, chances are a neighbor will notice & complain & it doesn't help the manager is right below me. Luckilly, with my old set up no one has complained. I still can't believe the acoustics in a more wide open room are going to make the sub sound so much better than in a small enclosed room.
    it does indeed seem counter-intuitive that it would sound better in a larger room. I believe the problem is that my smaller room is just littered with nulls and peaks, and it is just so unbalanced. Nothing i can really do about that. If i move my head about 1 foot to the right, it will sound much different lol. I've found that in my room, for movies, the crossover for the sub sounds best at 40Hz, and 60Hz for music. The probelm is that my receiver only allows one setting, so leave it at 60. In the larger room, everything sounded good at 60 Hz, and 80 Hz wasnt all that bad either

Thread Information