Denon AVR-3300

Printable View

• 04-11-2005, 04:45 PM
    MFC
    Denon AVR-3300
    I have the Denon AVR 3300 and want to install speakers on a porch outside of my house for music only. Is there a way to set up a separate zone outside without having to use an amplifier as shown in the Denon users manual? I obviously need to be able to turn the outside speakers on and off when I'm not out there. Any guidance is appreciated.
  • 04-12-2005, 04:50 AM
    Eric Z
    Do you know if the Denon has A/B speaker settings? If that's the case, can't you set it up where speaker zone A would be your main HT and then B would be the outside? Then on your receiver, there's usually an option to select A and/or B. I know this is how it was with my old Sony- not sure if it's the same with newer, higher tech receivers. I was thinking about doing something similar with my Yamaha 5760 set-up (however, speakers in the garage instead of porch), but haven't got around to it yet.

Good luck!
  • 04-12-2005, 06:07 AM
    shokhead
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MFC
    I have the Denon AVR 3300 and want to install speakers on a porch outside of my house for music only. Is there a way to set up a separate zone outside without having to use an amplifier as shown in the Denon users manual? I obviously need to be able to turn the outside speakers on and off when I'm not out there. Any guidance is appreciated.

I think it explains in the manual about a second set of speakers.
  • 04-13-2005, 04:57 AM
    kfalls
    You need to be careful using the A/B switch for this purpose, especially if your speakers are less than 8 ohm. Most receivers run their A/B in parallel. If your speakers are 4 ohm this will half the imdepance drawing more current from the amplifier. As long as you run the receiver in stereo, or direct the receiver may be able to handle both sets of speakers providing you're not cranking it too much. You definitely don't want to run DD in the house and run the 'B' speakers at the same time. This will most likely overdrive the amplifier's power supply heating up the output transistors and causing distortion which is a definite speaker killer.