Forum Regular

Denon AVR-2307 vs Marantz SR-7500

Hi,

What should be my choice : Denon AVR-2307 or Marantz SR-7500 ??

Thanks,

Sukasem

Forum Regular
    These 2 items are not on an even footing, the Marantz SR 7500 (discontinued model) had an original SRP of $1999.. the Denon 2307 had a SRP of $799. the equivalent Denon model to compete with this for features would be the AVR 4306.

As such a direct comparison between the 2 receivers will naturally leave the 2307 lacking.

If you have found these 2 receivers for the same price, you are giong to get a lot more for your money with the Marantz, hands down. Be mindful that is is a discontinued model, however, and could possibly even be reconditioned.

Forum Regular
    Thanks, Daedilus. How about Denon 2805 ?

Sukasem

Forum Regular
    The 2805 is a fine receiver, i like dneon products, i have personaly installed a hella lot of them. you are hard pressed to find a receiver with as many features per dollar as a denon.

That said, in comparison to a SR-7500 it is still edged out by the class of the receiver, but only just... primary differences are 12 volt triggers, IR loop pass throughs, and one extra compontnent video input.

It is again edged out slightly by wattage, not enough to hear...

i think most telling about the comparison is the fact that you are comparing a 850 dollar original SRP receiver to a 1999 dollar original SRP one... and it is only just slightly better in a couple of principle areas for your extra 1000 dollars in original price.

Now to be fair, the Marantz is 4 models out of date, and the denon is only 2, however into that consideration you should also weigh the fact that the denon is 2 models below its equivelant playing field.

If the 2 models are the same price or the marantz is less expensive, i would go with the marantz... Both are far enough out of date not to be warrantied, so thats not a consideration at this point. However, if you are going to pay more for the marantz, then i would go with the Denon. In fact... this may surprise you, but i might spend LESS money and buy a Brand new Denon 1907...

Obviously i know nothing about your system, however the 1907 delivers a very honest 85 watts per channel, if you are running very large mains, and feel you need the extra wattage, then disregard, but i will qualify that with the fact that i have run 2 altec lansing voice of the theater A-7s, 16 ohm, on a denon 85 watt amplifier, and achieving ear bleeding sound even into those monsters, with plenty of Dynamic headroom was not a problem.

The main thing i like about the idea of a New denon receiver is their customer service. Their policy of replacing, not repairing, any amp within 2 years of purchase (when purchased form an authorized dealer and returned in its serial stampeed box) with a brand new amp, of the current equivalent incarnation (EG: return your 1804 damaged and receive a 1906 replacment) is unequaled in the industry. what more could you ask for?

Just some food for thought. Again, at the last, equal or cheaper the marantz, anything more, the Denon, with some thought towards a new denon as well.

Would also love to hear what you plan on running with it?

Quote Originally Posted by csukasem
    Thanks, Daedilus. How about Denon 2805 ?

Sukasem
    how much are you looking to spend...
    I got my 2805 because I wanted all the digital inputs (and I used them for a time)...
    in the same price range, I could have gotten a pioneer elite or nad which may have been a bit better...

I would suggest if you go with denon, don't go below the 3805/6 series
    the preamp in the 2805 is lacking...
    HT: Anthem AVM 50 / PVA-7; Focal JM Lab 4x Chorus 716 S, CC 700 S, 2x Chorus 706S; 2x 12s - Homebuilt Sub
    2CH: B&K PT3 s2, Anthem PVA-2, VonSchweikert VR-1
    Computer: Denon AVR 2805, Old Tecnic & Optimus Speakers
    2004 KTM 200 SX
    2003 Spyder
    2002 Single Cab, 3" cornfed lift, 34"LTB & 31" AT's
    ONLINE PHOTO ALBUM

Forum Regular
    Thanks guys.

I am using Denon 1507 (7 x 70W) with 5 A'Divas Ti (Anthony Gallo’s). My room is a bit large, around 85 sq. meters but the viewing distance is only 2.8 meters. I am thinking of having more power.

I live in Thailand where AV choices and opportunities are limited. But price is not, I mean its bloody high.

Marantz and Denon are offering sales promotion at the moment at the same price. I mean price of Denon 2805 is being equal to Marantz 7500 (approx. USD 790 for each).

I do not care much about newer or older model. But wonder if any of those two is behind in technology which will offer less in sound quality. I am using only 5.1 channels and having no plan to expand the system with more speakers.

Also I would like the receiver to have removable power cord for upgrade.

Waiting for your further guidance.

Sukasem

perhaps try used on ebay or something?
    $790US is more than the 2805 was 2 years ago at a store...
    HT: Anthem AVM 50 / PVA-7; Focal JM Lab 4x Chorus 716 S, CC 700 S, 2x Chorus 706S; 2x 12s - Homebuilt Sub
    2004 KTM 200 SX
    2003 Spyder
    ONLINE PHOTO ALBUM

Forum Regular
    Thanks, Rock789.

Like I said, the price here is .... Anyway, although they are old models, how about sound quality ? Is it "up to date" quality ?

Sukasem

I forget the exact models of receivers I directly compared to prior to purchasing the 2805, but all in that price range seemed similar (pioneer elite, integra, ...) not bad...
    if you want to jump up in quality, it would be a jump in price too...
    maybe someone will have more info on that marantz?
    2004 KTM 200 SX
    2003 Spyder
    ONLINE PHOTO ALBUM

Forum Regular
    If local prices are high, buy off internet, and ship...

Since we are talking about older models here, the sound quality on a denon is going to be higher, primarily because the model you are looking at is newer than the marantz... that said, in general Denon and Marantz are both on a similar footing as mid/high level equipment on a scale of low, mid low, mid, mid high, high...

Both the marantz and denon you are looking at have removeable power cords, and are avialable in 240/120 switchable AC voltage versions.

The only substanitve difference between the 2 models you are considering, discounting the afor-mentioned inputs, triggers and loops, which you are more than likely not going to use anyway since you arent trying, as far as i know, to integrate multiple systems, is wattage, and that difference is moot, you're not going to hear 7 watts...

When i comes to audio ability the one thing the Denon will offer than the marantz will not is DTS decoding, the marantz is 1 year too old to have it, the denon is 1 year inside its release...

Sound quality is a different issue, imho marantz's amps are better than denons amps, while denon has the better integration and preamp section... i would like to be able to recommend that you listen to both, but you are unlikely to find either amp at a store because they are out of date... If it were me, i woul buy the Denon 2805, because their integration flexibility and its more recent production gives it an edge in technology and compatibility.

That said, if i were buying one of these 2 receivers to use at a stereo power amp i would go with the marantz for lower thd and more power... but that doesnt seem to fit yourr situation.

Btw.. here are 3 denon 2805's on ebay...
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Denon-AVR-2805-9...QQcmdZViewItem
    http://cgi.ebay.com/DENON-AVR-2805-D...QQcmdZViewItem
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Denon-AVR-2805-7...QQcmdZViewItem

one buy it now for under 500, no bids over $120 currently, im sure you can ship for less than 200 dollars

Quote Originally Posted by Rock789
    the preamp in the 2805 is lacking...
    Just curious, what did you find lacking about the preamp section on the denon?

Quote Originally Posted by Daedilus
    Just curious, what did you find lacking about the preamp section on the denon?
    I found the Denon was not as clear and dynamic on 2 ch audio as my B&K PT3 s2...

specific test
    2ch SACD's
    Marantz DV6500 - 2ch output (SACD Player)
    Denon 2805 vs B&K PT3 s2 (preamp)
    Anthem PVA-7 (amp)
    Focal JM Lab Chorus 716S (speakers)

Reason I even tried this test, about a month prior, I listened to a set of Chorus 714S on an anthem PVA-2 and an anthem preamp, and it was worlds better than my denon receiver...
    so I figured I would half upgrade by purchasing a pva-7, and use the denon as the preamp...
    I was rather dissaponted with the results... I did not know what the problem was, so I figured an easy way to compare different components was swap things one at a time with a similar component...
    ... the B&K, althought still not as good as the anthem preamp from the store, provided a much better signal to the amp...
    also, I do not recall the cd player, so this also could be the remainder of the differences...
    2004 KTM 200 SX
    2003 Spyder
    ONLINE PHOTO ALBUM

Forum Regular
    hmm.....

did you have both speaker sets disenguaged to throw the denon into preamp mode, and were you using the 7.1 variable front outs?

only reason i ask is i put my denon head to head with a Madrigal Proceed DSP and was pleased with the result, so im a little dumbfounded to hear that you were disappointed, cant help but wonder if a setting was wrong or perhaps a hardware problem.

~~or maybe i just lucked out and the preamp factory was on some good drugs that day...

I will not rule out a setting wrong, or a possible hardware issue with the denon...

I used the rca preouts on the denon to the pva-7, and used the cd input..
    I was in direct mode... so I thought it was just a basic preamp without eq settings... (I did not mess with the eq on the B&K either...)

do you have the same model?
    perhaps a different firmware? how do I even check/upgrade the firmware in the denon?
    2004 KTM 200 SX
    2003 Spyder
    ONLINE PHOTO ALBUM

Forum Regular
    Negative on the same model, but close, AVR 2105.

However i do see one flaw in your usage, the Direct mode indeed bypasses the internal EQ settings on the Denon, but does not disconnect the internal amps on the unit.

When both A and B speakers are switched off on the unit, the display on the Denon will read, " Preamp Only"... after disenguaging the speakers, you will hear a relay fire in the amp, and if you monitor its power usage you will see a massive drop in power consumed, this is the AC power being completely disconnected from the amplifier section, canceling their interferance and cutting the resulting distortion because the amp is driving channels into an empty load.

Im the first to admit that Denons amps are not the best. Their primary selling point isnt their watts per dollar but features and integration per dollar, removing those amps from the equation in preamp mode should make a huge difference in the quality of sound passing through the unit, particularly in analog format such as you were using.

As far as firmware updates, its a discontinued model, so none are listed for it, that doesnt mean that there werent any, however, a quick phone call to Denons tech support line would yield the answer, but updates will have to be installed by a factory authorized technician, they require an interface module to go between the I/O on the PC and the port on the receiver. That particular little monster isnt for sale to the public, they are given by Denon to their service centers, and remain denons property.

humm I'll have to try this...

ok
    I tried the speaker button... but it rotates.. A, B, AB, A, B, AB...
    I also checked in settings but did not find anything...
    how did you turn off the A & B speakers with the 2105?
    2004 KTM 200 SX
    2003 Spyder
    ONLINE PHOTO ALBUM

Forum Regular
    Has both an A and a B speakers button... hmm wonder if the 2805 didnt come in right under the wire for the preamp only ability, the lack of independent speaker buttons makes me wonder... Should have it though, its 05 series...

Read the manual, its odd, it doesn't even mention its 7.1 preamp outputs at all, has a section on zone 2 out, but not the pre-out.. there is something funky with this particular model, I'll call Denon tomorrow at work and talk to a tech about it, this has me intrigued... I'll post again on this tomorrow afternoon and let you know what he says

Quote Originally Posted by Daedilus
    Has both an A and a B speakers button... hmm wonder if the 2805 didnt come in right under the wire for the preamp only ability, the lack of independent speaker buttons makes me wonder... Should have it though, its 05 series...

Read the manual, its odd, it doesn't even mention its 7.1 preamp outputs at all, has a section on zone 2 out, but not the pre-out.. there is something funky with this particular model, I'll call Denon tomorrow at work and talk to a tech about it, this has me intrigued... I'll post again on this tomorrow afternoon and let you know what he says
    wow,
    I wasn't expecting all that, but for sure Thanks Man!
    perhaps I made a mistake by going with the 28xx series ?
    2004 KTM 200 SX
    2003 Spyder
    ONLINE PHOTO ALBUM

Forum Regular
    Hi,

I would like to have some comments on Yamaha RX-V1600.

Thanks.

Sukasem

Forum Regular
    Yamaha RX-V1600 is a outstanding receiver.

Its more powrfful than either you have spoken of previously, newer, current production model, HDMI *yawn*, XM ready, lots of features previously unavailable for your other 2 considerations, also undoubtedly more expensive, i wholeheartedly condone it

Whats not to like?

(always liked yamaha, ever since their "natural sound" series)

Forum Regular
    Hi Daedilus,

Thanks for your prompt reply. It's price is approx. USD 1,260.

I can't buy from e-bay since they do not ship to Thailand.

Also, is this RX-V1600 good for music ?

Sukasem

Forum Regular
    Yamaha amps tend to have a warmer sound than amps in similar price ranges, at least their mid to upper line does. depends on your listening tastes though, as does everything, i persoanly find them more pleasent to listen to than many of their peers

If music is your goal you could do a lot worse, (and not much better, for the money), than the Yamaha.

Rock789, i didnt get a chance to call Denon today, we had some bad information on a job and it knida left us in the lurch of having more to do than we really had time for, got it all done, but without a moment to spare. I'll try to call them tomorrow.

Forum Regular
    I made my decision to take Yamaha RX-V1600. It sounds much better and more classy than Denon 1507. And it has enough power.

Thanks a lot.

Sukasem

Forum Regular
    Hi everybody,

I spent more time with Yamaha, which I bought it alreday, and found that it is really a great receiver like Daedilus said.

Sukasem

Quote Originally Posted by csukasem
    Hi everybody,

I spent more time with Yamaha, which I bought it alreday, and found that it is really a great receiver like Daedilus said.

Sukasem
    sweet! glad you like it ;o)
    2004 KTM 200 SX
    2003 Spyder
    ONLINE PHOTO ALBUM

Thread Information