Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Forum Regular

Multiple Subs- do they need to match?

Since my reciever will support it, I''d like to add another sub to my HT setup. My setup is all Paradigm monitor series with a single PS1200 sub. I've been quite happy with it but kind of have the "upgrade" bug.
    My question is: Do both subs need to match eachother in size/power/LFE? I don't really know what to expect for a benefit from a second and I'd probably use Audessey to help adjust the levels. Paradigm no longer makes the PS1200 so I'd be looking for a used one- or can I get something else? My room isn't large (15x25 plus a 12x10 opening)

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny B. Galt
    Since my reciever will support it, I''d like to add another sub to my HT setup. My setup is all Paradigm monitor series with a single PS1200 sub. I've been quite happy with it but kind of have the "upgrade" bug.
    My question is: Do both subs need to match eachother in size/power/LFE? I don't really know what to expect for a benefit from a second and I'd probably use Audessey to help adjust the levels. Paradigm no longer makes the PS1200 so I'd be looking for a used one- or can I get something else? My room isn't large (15x25 plus a 12x10 opening)
    Personally I would just go with a larger sub, but depending on its placement it may not be as balanced in the room as it could be (ie, one person slightly closer to it than the someone else).

I know there's been lots of discussion about matching speakers in general, but I really try to match the sub if you decide on a second just to keep your sanity in attempting to balance the sound from both subs with respect to layout and size of the room.

I know most setups say to put the sub at the front but in some situations to can put it in the back pointing towards the wall in the front where the receiver/tv is and get bounce back from the entire wall --- you'll need to adjust the phase otherwise some of the base form the front/centers will cancel each other.

M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    Your room is the same size as my theater room, and I have four subs in that room. Yes, your sub should be identical. This keeps one lesser sub from dragging a more powerful sub down with distortion from being driven too hard to keep up with the better more powerful sub. It also assures one that identical frequency responses are projected into the room which makes equalization easier to do.

Two subs in the two front corners of a room smoothens the bass response over the entire first row of seats. It also gives the system greater headroom which lower distortion coming from each sub. 2 subs work less hard to achieve X SPL level than one.

I don't know if Audessey will recognize two subs in its receiver implementation, or even work on two subs. I got Audessey sub software especially because it handles 2 or more subs.
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

Cool

What I like to do, when I have a spare sub is use it for the rears.
    Keep your main one for the main sub out, use the bypass on the sub for the rears.
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Terrence the Terrible
    Your room is the same size as my theater room, and I have four subs in that room. Yes, your sub should be identical. This keeps one lesser sub from dragging a more powerful sub down with distortion from being driven too hard to keep up with the better more powerful sub. It also assures one that identical frequency responses are projected into the room which makes equalization easier to do.

Two subs in the two front corners of a room smoothens the bass response over the entire first row of seats. It also gives the system greater headroom which lower distortion coming from each sub. 2 subs work less hard to achieve X SPL level than one.

I don't know if Audessey will recognize two subs in its receiver implementation, or even work on two subs. I got Audessey sub software especially because it handles 2 or more subs.
    No wonder you never listen to anybody.
    YOU'RE DEAF.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

Quote Originally Posted by pixelthis
    What I like to do, when I have a spare sub is use it for the rears.
    Keep your main one for the main sub out, use the bypass on the sub for the rears.
    That will do wonders for the acoustics when both subs are playing. You ever heard of bass cancellation? Aside from that, there is not enough bass in the rears to dedicate a separate sub to, it is a waste of money, and acoustically bad for accurate playback. Ever notice what size the surround speakers are in a movie theater? They don't do bass under 80hz, and we mixers don't mix deep bass there for fear of damaging a theater's surround speakers.
    Sir Terrence

Oppo BDP-103D
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    THX Style Baffle wall

No wonder you never listen to anybody.
    YOU'RE DEAF.
    I don't listen to people who do not know what they are talking about(much like yourself), and I wouldn't do so even if I didn't have subs at all. Besides, you don't go deaf listening to frequencies under 80hz, it is extended exposure to high and mid frequencies that does that. Our ears are not that sensitive at 80hz and below(where my subs operate) as they are at 1-4khz. That's science, not some crap you pull from your bum.
    Sir Terrence

Oppo BDP-103D
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    THX Style Baffle wall

Cool

That will do wonders for the acoustics when both subs are playing. You ever heard of bass cancellation? Aside from that, there is not enough bass in the rears to dedicate a separate sub to, it is a waste of money, and acoustically bad for accurate playback. Ever notice what size the surround speakers are in a movie theater? They don't do bass under 80hz, and we mixers don't mix deep bass there for fear of damaging a theater's surround speakers.
    Glad you agree with me, it does do wonders.
    And yeah, you get bass cancelation if you play the same material over all channels,
    and don't know how to set up a speaker system.
    For us peeps with brains it can work out, but is tricky so I dont do it much.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

Re:

It is possible to run two different sized subs, pending on how you set the crossovers and power on them, You can get a very nice sounding bottom end. I would not run different brand subs.
    HT system:
    Marantz SR7001 receiver
    Emotiva UPA-2 Amplifier
    Adcom GDV-870 DVD-A/CD player
    Yamaha S1800 DVD/SACD player
    Panasonic DMP-BD60K blu Ray player
    PSB Image series speakes s/s
    Dayton RSS210HF 8" reference sub
    Hitachi 46" HD projector screen

Glad you agree with me, it does do wonders.
    And yeah, you get bass cancelation if you play the same material over all channels,
    and don't know how to set up a speaker system.
    For us peeps with brains it can work out, but is tricky so I dont do it much.
    You are full of $hit Pix, just full of it. Now, tell us how you peeps with brains assemble a multiple subwoofer system that covers both the rears and the fronts and avoids bass cancellation? Can you do that? Keep in mind, the mix has already been established, and you cannot change it.

I anxiously await your answer to this.....
    Sir Terrence

Oppo BDP-103D
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    THX Style Baffle wall

tell us how you peeps with brains assemble a multiple subwoofer system that covers both the rears and the fronts
    I personally would not run a sub using the rear channels, just a mix of the fronts.
    HT system:
    Marantz SR7001 receiver
    Emotiva UPA-2 Amplifier

You are full of $hit Pix, just full of it. Now, tell us how you peeps with brains assemble a multiple subwoofer system that covers both the rears and the fronts and avoids bass cancellation? Can you do that? Keep in mind, the mix has already been established, and you cannot change it.

Why do you even bother? You know he is simply provoking you..

Forum Regular
    Sir Terrance-
    So your preference would be for two matched subs in equal positions in front? I've only got one row of seats (aka "couch") and there is a definite "sweet spot"- so play to that? I ran multiple coax lines to different locations in the room so I could play with positions. I was originally thinking of one in front (roughly 11 oclock) and one in the back offset (5 oclock).but don't know what this would accomplish. Also, the back third of the room is tile.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_a
    It is possible to run two different sized subs, pending on how you set the crossovers and power on them, You can get a very nice sounding bottom end. I would not run different brand subs.
    You are going to inevitibley run into one subwoofer performance peaking before other, which will cripple the entire bass region. The only thing crossover will do is control how much upper frequency information get's into the subwoofer system, it will not control how much deep bass is running into each system. You could turn the weaker one down, but then that eleminates the very reason for having two - driver coppling, and the smoothing of the frequency response over the first row.
    Sir Terrence

Oppo BDP-103D
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    THX Style Baffle wall

Sir Terrance-
    So your preference would be for two matched subs in equal positions in front?
    Correct!

I've only got one row of seats (aka "couch") and there is a definite "sweet spot"- so play to that?
    I would, unless you plan on adding more seats later.

I ran multiple coax lines to different locations in the room so I could play with positions. I was originally thinking of one in front (roughly 11 oclock) and one in the back offset (5 oclock).but don't know what this would accomplish. Also, the back third of the room is tile.
    I would not locate a sub on tile, as it would emphasize the floor to ceiling resonance by boosting it with a strong first reflection. Having two mono sources widely spaced apart reproducing the same signal is an open invitation to multiple cancellation nodes Both subs will have very different frequency responses, and it is likely you will not really gain much boost in output with them being spaced so far apart. Also, neither sub will have much LF support when placed that close to the center of the room. I would only locate my sub in the 11 oclock position if my room was square, had a VERY powerful sub, and good EQ to create a house curve to support the lack of LF support.
    Sir Terrence

Oppo BDP-103D
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    THX Style Baffle wall

Quote Originally Posted by audio amateur
    Why do you even bother? You know he is simply provoking you..
    This is not for my benefit, I know he doesn't know anything. This is for everyone else. If he responds to anything, they learn not to take what he says seriously. Not everyone here knowns that he is a audio airhead.
    Last edited by Sir Terrence the Terrible; 05-21-2010 at 02:38 PM.
    Sir Terrence

Oppo BDP-103D
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    THX Style Baffle wall

Your room is the same size as my theater room, and I have four subs in that room. Yes, your sub should be identical. This keeps one lesser sub from dragging a more powerful sub down with distortion from being driven too hard to keep up with the better more powerful sub. It also assures one that identical frequency responses are projected into the room which makes equalization easier to do. .
    Ditto. The very best systems I've heard use symmetrical sub arrangements ranging between two and twelve drivers. Duke LeJeune's SWARM subwoofer system operates on that principle as well.

rw
    Last edited by E-Stat; 05-21-2010 at 01:50 PM.

Sir TT,

I have a Def Tech 15" sub...it's nice, but older model. In your opinion, would I be better off buying another identical Def Tech sub or selling mine and going with a single Revel 15a sub (no way I can afford 2 of those puppies)?
    Guess i'm asking if 2 inferior subs are better than 1 great one.
    HT is 12x26x8 basement room.

Quote Originally Posted by Tarheel_
    Sir TT,

I have a Def Tech 15" sub...it's nice, but older model. In your opinion, would I be better off buying another identical Def Tech sub or selling mine and going with a single Revel 15a sub (no way I can afford 2 of those puppies)?
    Guess i'm asking if 2 inferior subs are better than 1 great one.
    HT is 12x26x8 basement room.
    It really depends on if you are trying to optimize for one seat or more, and if you are happy with the performance of your current sub.

If you have more than one seat, then you would be better off with 2 subs. If you are trying to optimize for just one seat, then a single sub in the corner will do the trick nicely. That Revel sub is a monster in and a half. It will definately fill that room size easily with deep tight bass. But you can only optimize a single bass module no matter how powerful it is for a relatively tight sweet spot. It takes more than one to cover more than that.

That sub is powerful enough that you could do center of the front wall placement, and create a house curve that counters the LF rolloff a sub would have when placed in that position. It still won't be optimized for more than one seat, but you could avoid exciting any of the most audible modes when you place it there.
    Sir Terrence

Oppo BDP-103D
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    THX Style Baffle wall

Cool

I anxiously await your total breakdown when you flunk your GED.
    You might get some trouble if the front channels are the same as the rears.
    But they are not in a 5.1 system, so "bass cancelation " wouldnt be a serious problem.
    If the rears are the same as the front signals you might get problems.
    I have seen several systems, but rarely do it myself because it can be trouble, but
    then again I DONT EVEN LISTEN TO A SUB on two channel, only use one for movies.
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

I anxiously await your total breakdown when you flunk your GED.
    You might get some trouble if the front channels are the same as the rears.
    But they are not in a 5.1 system, so "bass cancelation " wouldnt be a serious problem.
    If the rears are the same as the front signals you might get problems.
    I have seen several systems, but rarely do it myself because it can be trouble, but
    then again I DONT EVEN LISTEN TO A SUB on two channel, only use one for movies.
    I knew it, you are BS'ing. If there is any bass in the rear speakers(and there is usually none below 50hz hence why a sub is not needed), it is usually copied into the LFE to give it more punch, so the potential for cancellation is very high, and why the practice is not recommended. Even if you didn't know this mixing practice, if you just gaze up at the surround speakers in any theater, you would see that they are too small to accomodate bass at very high levels, even when they are arranged in an array. Hence, why a subwoofer is not needed in the surrounds.

If you are just going to spread bad information, why in the hell are you here?
    Sir Terrence

Oppo BDP-103D
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    THX Style Baffle wall

You are going to inevitibley run into one subwoofer performance peaking before other, which will cripple the entire bass region. The only thing crossover will do is control how much upper frequency information get's into the subwoofer system, it will not control how much deep bass is running into each system. You could turn the weaker one down, but then that eleminates the very reason for having two - driver coppling, and the smoothing of the frequency response over the first row.
    I have a friend with a very nice HT system that uses 3 subs, (two matched 10" and one 15") the bottom end of his systems is ridiculously huge but sounds very good. I’m not trying to prove some crazy off the wall point, but I have listened to this set up that you say will not work. Simply, if done right, you can do it.
    HT system:
    Marantz SR7001 receiver
    Emotiva UPA-2 Amplifier

Quote Originally Posted by rob_a
    I have a friend with a very nice HT system that uses 3 subs, (two matched 10" and one 15") the bottom end of his systems is ridiculously huge but sounds very good. I’m not trying to prove some crazy off the wall point, but I have listened to this set up that you say will not work. Simply, if done right, you can do it.
    Did you know that the bass from this system can be huge, but measureable very inaccurate? Do you know that your sub can be deep in distortion, and there is a chance you might not hear it? I didn't say you can't do it(you can do anything you want with your system), I said it is not adviseable if accuracy and low distortion is desired. Very good means different things to different people. It may sound good to you, but lousy to me or someone else.
    Sir Terrence

Oppo BDP-103D
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    THX Style Baffle wall

Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar
    Your room is similar in size to mine and I run multiple subs in my setup. It would be much easier for you to get a similar sized Paradigm than to try to match the output of another brand or sized sub. It can be done, but it's a bother that I wouldn't recommend. The only one I would think of trying mix-match is a Paradigm 15" Servo Sub. That sub is extremely powerful and you could run it as the main, and let your 12" fill some of the dead spots at -3dB. The servo sub cannot be driven into distortion and has an output in excess of >105dB across it's range in your room.

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...05-part-1.html

With your sub secondary you sould be able to reach 108dB or better. More than most non-reinforced structures can stand!
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio Classic 250. 500wpc into 4 ohms.
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,
    Marantz 6170 TT Shure M97e cart.
    Arcam Alpha 9 CD.- 24 bit dCS Ring DAC.
    Magnepan 3.6r speakers Oak/black,

Did you know that the bass from this system can be huge, but measureable very inaccurate? Do you know that your sub can be deep in distortion, and there is a chance you might not hear it? I didn't say you can't do it(you can do anything you want with your system), I said it is not adviseable if accuracy and low distortion is desired. Very good means different things to different people. It may sound good to you, but lousy to me or someone else.
    hahaha! yes, it probably sounds distorted and inaccurate since you have listened to it. I don't have highend ears so lousy is what I like.
    HT system:
    Marantz SR7001 receiver
    Emotiva UPA-2 Amplifier

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information