Forum Regular

Talking Are Yamaha DVD player's any good?

My HT setup is 98% Yamaha gear and i have been looking at the Yamaha 5750 DVD player at BB for $149.99,are these good DVD player's?It looks to be a pretty plain DVD player for the $149.99 there asking but might consider it if the Yamaha players are worth it.Right now i own a 2001 Sony DVP-NS500V that also plays SACD (I don't use the SACD capability so that's a feature i really don't need) that still works perfect but might want to go with the Yammy to go with the rest of my gear.Is the Yamaha better than the Sony i already have to justify the $149.99 for the Yammy or should i just keep the Sony?Thanks for any advice.Keith.

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    They make decent DVD players, right up there with similarly priced Denon and Marantz IMO, they're chipsets are generally well regarded and not outsourced like some. Though, at that price-point I wouldn't expect it to be an improvement over what you have already.

I wouldn't drop money just to get the gear to "match", there must be something better you can spend $150 on, or, put it away and start saving for something that will give you more improvement.

JSE
    Like Kex explained, no need to upgrade just to upgrade. Your not going to hear a difference in sound between the Sony and the Yammie. Unless there is something functionally wrong with your Sony or the Yammie has a feature(s) you want that the Sony does not have, I would stick with the Sony. Of course if looks supercede everything else, then go for it.

JSE

Upgrade just to upgrade. I'm so guilty of that. I got 2 DVD players sitting right now just collecting dust. I dont even use my CD player anymore thanks to my 2910. I gotta start gettin on ebay.

Thread Information