center below or above projector screen?

building a DIY 106" projector screen and now have a delimma on center speaker placement. Screen is not cloth so the center must be moved.

Room is 9' high and I have room on both top or bottom of screen to place a center.

I plan to build a mount and slightly angle the center toward the listening spot.

Anyone experiment or read which method is preferred?

oh yeah, the left and right speakers are full range and stand about 4' high and the tweeter will be about level with the lower part of the screen.

I would say under for your set up. Your mains have the mids & tweeters at about the lower end of your screen right? Try to get them as close to the same level as you can.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Angling the center will alleviate some of the height-difference issues compared to the other speakers, but I'd advise placing it below the screen. You'll tame more reflections if its closer to the floor, even a place mat on a bare floor is easier than absorptive panels/tile on the ceiling. There's likely to be more stuff to absorb and diffuse sound in the lower half of the room than the top half...easier to mount, to boot!!!

Kex and G...both good points....i may just go that route, plus i have more room on the bottom to work with.

I may also try both positions and see which sounds best, but that will be a PIA.

does THX or DD or DTS have anything paper-wise referring to this delimma? Maybe not since all commerical screens have the center behind the screen.

I agree with below the screen. As GM mentioned, try and get those front 3 as level as possible.

Man, I wish I was having those sort of problems.

L.J.

yeah, these are great problems to have....i've been into HT since 99, and had a basement for 5 years, but unable to do anything about it. Now, we decided to do a HT room on a budget and so far so good.
    I need to take some pics and post 'em.

I've been building my audio stuff for years (7.1) and now turned my focus to video....really waiting for HD to evolve. Heck, i've never even seen a DVD via progressive scan...only viewing on my analog 50" Hitachi (which really looks good still).

Now i gotta nice used panny 720p projector coming and cannot wait to throw that video up and see my dvd collection in all their glory!!!

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    The THX/DD specs call for them being placed in the same plane, or same height, but that's impractical for most.

Think of it this way...your ears are probably closer, and separation from the mains is probably less, when its mounted below the screen.
    Ergonomics/convenience/looks would be the only valid arguments for mounting on top, but they can be compelling reasons.

I have purchased two HD projectors. One is going into the living room. I have plenty of room here to do what I want. The center is going to be under the fixed screen for many of the reason's Kex has pointed out. ( Easier, more in line with the mains and now that he said so, fewer reflections)
    The one for the bedroom as some space issues. No room for floor stands or towers. No room for a center under the screen. I have no choice but to put in ceiling mounts and angle the three front speakers down at the bed. At least they'll all be at the same level.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

BELOW! Putting it above would mean angling it down into the floor...not good. Down below and pointing up will fill your front soundstage properly

...from everyone's suggestion, i'm going to place the center below the screen and just slightly angle upward...this should put my front tweeter array within a foot....maybe 16 inches with the center being the lowest of the 3 tweeters.

bonus: since i use a matching monitor for my center, i can set it upright like god intended and now wonder if that'll increase my sound quality (oh, this is a disease!!!)

Thread Information