Thread: Crt Hdtv?

Crt Hdtv?

I'm thinking of making the jump to HDTV and have a few questions about the type of TV to purchase. I keep my television in an armoire, so there is no need for a flat panel. However, I cannot figure out the pros and cons to going with a DLP (e.g., Samsung) rather than a CRT (e.g., Sony XBR). I'm hoping someone can give me some insight as to the major differences between these two. I'm working within the 34 - 42 inch range (I have only 39.5 inches to work with for the width of the television - as I said, I'm keeping it in a cabinet). Thanks!

My Gear:

Marantz SR7001
    NHT SB-3 (Mains)
    NHT SC2 (Center)
    Boston Acoustic In-Wall (Surround)
    Sony DVP-NC875VB Black (DVD/CD/SACD)
    SVS PB-10 (Subwoofer)
    Samsung 42" DLP

Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar

I like my CRT based tv

Quote Originally Posted by Olivertmc
    I'm thinking of making the jump to HDTV and have a few questions about the type of TV to purchase. I keep my television in an armoire, so there is no need for a flat panel. However, I cannot figure out the pros and cons to going with a DLP (e.g., Samsung) rather than a CRT (e.g., Sony XBR). I'm hoping someone can give me some insight as to the major differences between these two. I'm working within the 34 - 42 inch range (I have only 39.5 inches to work with for the width of the television - as I said, I'm keeping it in a cabinet). Thanks!
    It's a 36" Panasonic Tau with 1080i capability. CRT's have more dynamic range, can output a true black, and up until just recently offered better resolution. They would still be my first choice in an under 36" screen size.
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio Classic 250. 500wpc into 4 ohms.
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,
    Marantz 6170 TT Shure M97e cart.
    Arcam Alpha 9 CD.- 24 bit dCS Ring DAC.
    Magnepan 3.6r speakers Oak/black,

Agreed. If you don't want or need the cool factor of a flat panel, stick with CRT. It still offers the best picture and does SD broadcasts a lot better than any fixed pixel unit. I'm partial to Hitachi Ultravisions, but the Sony WEGA's always get great reviews as well (although reliability is a question).

Thanks. From the advice of both of you I will focus my search on CRT's. One other question: Will my Tivo continue to work with an HDTV? I know that Tivo cannot record HD broadcasts, but I assume I can still record in standard resolution. Is this correct?

My Gear:

Marantz SR7001
    NHT SB-3 (Mains)
    NHT SC2 (Center)
    Boston Acoustic In-Wall (Surround)
    Sony DVP-NC875VB Black (DVD/CD/SACD)
    SVS PB-10 (Subwoofer)
    Samsung 42" DLP

Forum Regular
    I just got an HD DVR from comcast for an extra $5 a month. It can record full seasons, individual episodes, automatically records what you're watching, all that fun stuff. I also agree with what everyone else said. I had a Toshiba CRT RPTV that I got a few months ago. For the $1300 price tag, (for a 51 inch) it can't be beat. The fixed pixel displays usually don't do sd as well, and while they do look cool, I don't think their picture is really better overall, despite the much higher prices. In your size range, you should be able to get a pretty good crt hdtv, and for much much cheaper than non-crt options. If you can get a non-projection crt at those sizes, that would probably be your best bet as far as straight up picture quality goes. I know there are a number in the low 30" range, but you probably want to get as close to your max as possible, depending on your room.

M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by agtpunx40
    I just got an HD DVR from comcast for an extra $5 a month. It can record full seasons, individual episodes, automatically records what you're watching, all that fun stuff. I also agree with what everyone else said. I had a Toshiba CRT RPTV that I got a few months ago. For the $1300 price tag, (for a 51 inch) it can't be beat. The fixed pixel displays usually don't do sd as well, and while they do look cool, I don't think their picture is really better overall, despite the much higher prices. In your size range, you should be able to get a pretty good crt hdtv, and for much much cheaper than non-crt options. If you can get a non-projection crt at those sizes, that would probably be your best bet as far as straight up picture quality goes. I know there are a number in the low 30" range, but you probably want to get as close to your max as possible, depending on your room.
    Word on the Toshiba. I paid $1700 for my 65inch widescreen on clearance. Chose this model on a recommendation from Joe Kane. Also Woodman(God rest his soul) highly recommended Toshiba televisions based on his experience

I have never been satisfied with the picture quality of current flat panels.
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

Quote Originally Posted by Olivertmc
    Thanks. From the advice of both of you I will focus my search on CRT's. One other question: Will my Tivo continue to work with an HDTV? I know that Tivo cannot record HD broadcasts, but I assume I can still record in standard resolution. Is this correct?
    Yes, you can use your tvio with an HDTV. It just won't be in HD. I just got a new Sony 30" HD CRT, and I love it. check out the thread:

My new TV

I also got an HD-DVR (same as tivo, but from comcast and records HD content) from comcast for a few extra bucks a month. It's great. HD and DVD's look fantastic, the widescreen aspect ratio of the TV really adds something. HBO and football in HD is awesome.

eric

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Terrence the Terrible
    Word on the Toshiba. I paid $1700 for my 65inch widescreen on clearance. Chose this model on a recommendation from Joe Kane. Also Woodman(God rest his soul) highly recommended Toshiba televisions based on his experience

I have never been satisfied with the picture quality of current flat panels.
    Sir T. Do you know why the 65H84 costs less than the 65H83? Is one any better than the other?
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Thread Information