Crossover settings?

Printable View

• 11-06-2004, 03:19 PM
    Lord Nikon
    Crossover settings?
    I have Ascend Acoustics center and Mains... and a HSU 10" sub. My receiver, a Yamaha HTR5760 or whatever is doing the xover to the sub. I currently have it set to 90hz, how do I determine what my xover should be set at?
  • 11-06-2004, 03:26 PM
    cam
    With your receiver handling the bass management- 90hz and up to your center, mains, and surrounds and 90 hz on down to your sub, you must turn the subs crossover point to its highest setting as to not interfere with your receivers duties of bass management.
  • 11-06-2004, 07:38 PM
    kfalls
    I think what he means is whether 90Hz is the correct setting for the subwoofer. It depends on the frequency response of your Ascends. If the mains have a frequency response of say 55Hz-20KHz +/- 3db, a 90HZ setting may be too high. The higher in frequency you set the sub, the more directional the sound coming from it. I've read a true sub handles the frequencies from 80Hz down allowing the sub to be placed anywhere in the room without being able to determine its placement. Also within the room you will have peaks and troughs where the bass will sound louder or softer. Check the levels throughout the room and move the sub for the best level at your listening position. Placing the sub against a wall increases its output, in a corner even more. Experimentation is the best tool.
  • 11-10-2004, 05:44 AM
    Lord Nikon
    I have had it set to 80hz, when I ran YPAO it changed it to 120hz xover. I was sort of shocked...
  • 11-10-2004, 06:54 AM
    kfalls
    I noticed Ascend's most robust speaker has a low-end freq. response of 55Hz +/-3bd. Depending on microphone placement (wheter you're in a peak or a trough) and other room limitations the range could be much higher. Does the manual tell how they perform the test? Are tone controls bypassed? If not, then how the tone controls/equalizer is set will also affect the setting. At 120Hz the sub will be much more directional.