Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7
    Is the 9.68 one too much?

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

Or maybe you could go all out and spend11.39 on this http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Rep points are my LIFE!! Groundbeef's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    So true. Pop for pop, it may have been cheaper to pay a pro.
    But wifey brings so much more to the table.

Sorry Rich,

I'm sure that misses Tex will came along when you aren't expecting her.
    Well, there have been several "prospects" in the last few years. But you keep ruining them at the Christmas Party.

You sir GM are a "ManWhore", and need to give Rich a chance. You've got your wife. Leave the others alone!
    Pioneer Reciever VSX-1015TX
    JBL Speakers
    Pioneer Plasma PDP-5071HD
    Xbox 360 (The Console to Own)
    Sony BDP-550
    DirecTV DVR HD20 Reciever
    1 Schnoodle
    2 Guinia Pigs

Quote Originally Posted by Groundbeef
    Well, there have been several "prospects" in the last few years. But you keep ruining them at the Christmas Party.

You sir GM are a "ManWhore", and need to give Rich a chance. You've got your wife. Leave the others alone!
    It's not like I'm attacking them. I just give them what they ask for.

Besides, I did bring a couple of new girls to the party. Never touched them myself. Who's gonna be the first bidder on the camera footage from Rich's visit to their room?
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Suspended
    Thanks GM. I appreciate your efforts.

I looked at the one with the "Fancy connector"; it would probably work fine but I was a little concerned that the connector would stick out so far that it would cause the cable to kink itself against the back of the opposite wall after I attach the wall plate. I need to get the wiring task completed by the weekend so I'm just going to skip that run for the time being. This is just a precautionary measure anyway in the event I don't get good response from the sub. The Hooters girls will be back crawling around on the floor soon so they can get the best vibration from the sub and this time I won't distract them from their appointed duty.

DAM I type slow. Look what I missed!

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Rich-n-Texas
    Thanks GM. I appreciate your efforts.

I looked at the one with the "Fancy connector"; it would probably work fine but I was a little concerned that the connector would stick out so far that it would cause the cable to kink itself against the back of the opposite wall after I attach the wall plate. I need to get the wiring task completed by the weekend so I'm just going to skip that run for the time being. This is just a precautionary measure anyway in the event I don't get good response from the sub. The Hooters girls will be back crawling around on the floor soon so they can get the best vibration from the sub and this time I won't distract them from their appointed duty.

DAM I type slow. Look what I missed!
    Seek professional help. Now.
    Yankees invading the south is bad enough, but CRAZY yankees....
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

Suspended
    Your posts are becoming less and less helpful Pix.

Rich,

If and when the time comes that you need or want to run that cable, you can cut out a larger hole in the back of the plate box so that the longer connectors work for you. I had to do this with my HDMI runs.

Pix,

What the heck are you talking about?

Suspended
    This is what I'm using for the wall plate assy:

This is the cover... http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=261-115

This is the mounting bracket... http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=261-432

And this is the insert where the cable is connected... http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=261-408

As you can see, there is no box in this type of application. I decided to go this route because the mounting brackets that come with the Leviton plates @ Home Depot suck IMO. I like the fact that these black ones actually pull the bracket tight to the wall when you screw them in place.

Obviously this means that I have 4 inches of clearance (width of the stud) between the connection at the insert and the other wall, but I don't know how long the "Fancy connectors" molding is that provides the strain relief. I don't want too sharp of a bend at the connector because I'm then putting a lot of stress at the cable insertion point.

(Hopefully I'm drawing a good picture here)

This is what I'm using for the wall plate assy:

This is the cover... http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=261-115

This is the mounting bracket... http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=261-432

And this is the insert where the cable is connected... http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=261-408

As you can see, there is no box in this type of application. I decided to go this route because the mounting brackets that come with the Leviton plates @ Home Depot suck IMO. I like the fact that these black ones actually pull the bracket tight to the wall when you screw them in place.

Obviously this means that I have 4 inches of clearance (width of the stud) between the connection at the insert and the other wall, but I don't know how long the "Fancy connectors" molding is that provides the strain relief. I don't want too sharp of a bend at the connector because I'm then putting a lot of stress at the cable insertion point.

(Hopefully I'm drawing a good picture here)
    Should work well. 4 inches is a lot more room than I had. I had to cut up the back of most of my boxes to get the connectors to all fit. It was my first stab at it. I'm learning from what you're doing this go around.

Richadoo- As already suggested, entertainment center in the middle of your west wall. Front speakers on either side but well out in front of the plane of your EC and nearer to the ends of your EC than to your room’s corners. The width may be determined by the distance to your listening/viewing position , which should not be shorter. Your surrounds could mirror the placement of your front speakers or be on the opposing north and south walls behind your listening position. In either case, they can be nearer the wall. Put your chair in the virtual center. Your front speakers should be at an equilateral triangle and equidistant with your surrounds with your head at the apex. In this configuration, entry to the room may be a bit of a challenge but it will be worth it to you. I’m assuming that your surrounds are smaller than your front speakers. Sofa on the south wall or behind you. In your rendering, your room is just long enough to accommodate this. Open legged end tables. Carpet or rug on the floor (I use a higher than normal grade of foam plus a peat mat). In this configuration you needn’t worry about reflection obscuring imaging or detail. Your presentation might sound a little more atmospheric if you leave your walls untreated is all, not necessarily a bad thing. We bad . . that’s right, we bad!!

Ps- If your EC is a big, deep, bulky affair with doors and all that, you may want something more discreet down the road.
    designer/manufacturer of custom made time and phase correcting real wool surrounds

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    Rich,

If and when the time comes that you need or want to run that cable, you can cut out a larger hole in the back of the plate box so that the longer connectors work for you. I had to do this with my HDMI runs.

Pix,

What the heck are you talking about?
    Rich and his imaginary hooters girls.
    AND dont tell me they ARENT imaginary, as much as I love this hobby, if I had a bunch
    of hooters girls running around HT would be the last thing on my mind.

And you want some helpfullness?
    HERES SOMETHING THAT WILL WORK IN ALL ASPECTS OF LIFE,
    if you are having a lot of trouble doing something, chances are that you're doing it wrong.
    this falls under the old "fighting gators so long you forget your original task was to drain the swamp".
    I have seen some installs with looong cable runs, but for myself I try to limit that,
    for a variety of reasons.
    Maybe you ought to rethink the concept of what you're trying to do.
    Just a thought
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

Rich'n- Re-read your earlier info and see that you don't want to put TV in front of window. The same principles I suggested could apply if you were to use the north or south walls altho in that case your surrounds may need to adjusted, Remember equidistant with the front speakers to your listenng position if that can be made practical. Sofa, out of the way. BTW, there is some buzz starting in high places about 14awg Dayton High Definition Speaker Wire available in the current Parts Express catalog (part# 100-020) for . . get this . . $35.99 for fifty feet! Read about it in The Audiophile Voice. The author says not only he but 5 of his friends all with systems in excess of 35k (and a lot more in some cases, he adds) are currently using this. He challenges people to try it.
    designer/manufacturer of custom made time and phase correcting real wool surrounds

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by jim goulding
    ...BTW, there is some buzz starting in high places about 14awg Dayton High Definition Speaker Wire available in the current Parts Express catalog (part# 100-020) for . . get this . . $35.99 for fifty feet! Read about it in The Audiophile Voice. The author says not only he but 5 of his friends all with systems in excess of 35k (and a lot more in some cases, he adds) are currently using this. He challenges people to try it.
    I bought a 50' roll of 12 guage OFC from PE a while back so I want to use that to bi-amp the mains and also use it for the CC.
    http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshow...TOKEN=28747731

This wire is a breeze to work with. It lays down flat and was real easy to snake down the wall.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by pixelthis
    Rich and his imaginary hooters girls.
    AND dont tell me they ARENT imaginary, as much as I love this hobby, if I had a bunch
    of hooters girls running around HT would be the last thing on my mind.
    Just for you Pix...

Quote Originally Posted by Pix
    And you want some helpfullness?
    HERES SOMETHING THAT WILL WORK IN ALL ASPECTS OF LIFE,
    if you are having a lot of trouble doing something, chances are that you're doing it wrong.
    this falls under the old "fighting gators so long you forget your original task was to drain the swamp".
    You seem to have an aversion to animals.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pix
    I have seen some installs with looong cable runs, but for myself I try to limit that,
    for a variety of reasons.
    Maybe you ought to rethink the concept of what you're trying to do.
    Just a thought
    Well, like I said, the 50' digital coax run will be postponed. IF I still don't get good response from the sub after all the room treatments are in place I'll revisit that possibility. The nice thing about the wall plates I'm using now and have used in the past as well is that you can plug blank inserts in and just pop them out later if need be.

Cool

Just for you Pix...

You seem to have an aversion to animals.

Well, like I said, the 50' digital coax run will be postponed. IF I still don't get good response from the sub after all the room treatments are in place I'll revisit that possibility. The nice thing about the wall plates I'm using now and have used in the past as well is that you can plug blank inserts in and just pop them out later if need be.
    Is that the same as "shooting" blanks?
    And I have a ton of pics of hooters girls, doesnt mean they come to my house.
    The only one I know is now a nurse, thats how she worked her way through school.
    Anyway, good luck on your system, I am afraid I would have to be "hands on" to be much help
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7

Thread Information