Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich-n-Texas
    ...I'll check out the Onkyo, but can someone tell me how I interpret the specs so I'll know how the output current is indicated as it relates to the speakers?
    I'd really like to know how, by looking at specs, I interpret what would be a good match to my speakers from a "current" standpoint. Is there something in the speaker's specs that will tell me what to look for in the amp section spec? Thanks.

Forum Regular
    Rich

If you are looking for a high current amp, i would stay away from the mass market receivers,
    have a look at a Rotel.

bill
    Speakers-Jm Labs
    Disc player-Sim Audio Moon Calypso
    Pre-amp-Sim Audio P-5.3 SE
    dac= sim audio moon 300d

Amp-Sim Audio Moon I-3
    Display-Toshiba CRT
    Wires and Cables-Kimber,Straight Wire, ixos, Gutwire and shunyata research
    Sacd-Cambridge Audio
    Bluray--Sony and Cambridge Audio
    Remote-- Harmony 1100

Power-- Monster

I'd really like to know how, by looking at specs, I interpret what would be a good match to my speakers from a "current" standpoint. Is there something in the speaker's specs that will tell me what to look for in the amp section spec? Thanks.
    What are the specs on your speakers. Then we'll know what specs you need in an amp/receiver.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by musicman1999
    Rich

If you are looking for a high current amp, i would stay away from the mass market receivers,
    have a look at a Rotel.

bill
    $$$$$$ But it would be great to add Rotel to my sig.

I'll scan and post my speaker specs ASAP.

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    $$$$$$ But it would be great to add Rotel to my sig.

I'll scan and post my speaker specs ASAP.

Actually they're not that expensive. If you decided to forgo a receiver with the newest vid processing you could probably have yer cake and eat it too. An Onkyo 605 and a Rotel 1066 six-channel amp will still probably come in les than a 905.

I still think you need to optimize your room before you throw any more money at this.

Suspended
    I agree Bobby. Replacing audio components ain't going to happen until the new year. I want to get the most out of my speakers, but I know just by virture of the fact that I'm a member here what the priorities are. This is the best time of the year to work in the attic and if I swap walls, rewiring will become much easier.

Gotta step up to the 705 to get preouts with Onkyo.

Suspended
    That new Onkyo 905 is listed at $2K. I really don't think I need any video processing from an audio component. The TV does 1080p, and I'm probably going to invest in Bluray down the road.

That new Onkyo 905 is listed at $2K. I really don't think I need any video processing from an audio component. The TV does 1080p, and I'm probably going to invest in Bluray down the road.
    Who said anything about the 905? The 705 is the first in line with preouts. Price is $600-700.

Bobsticks, have you got that 905 yet? I'm waiting to hear your thought on that.

Suspended
    Huh?

Bobsticks did L.J. The same guy you just asked about it.

Did I rub you the wrong way somewhere along the line dude?

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by L.J.
    Who said anything about the 905? The 705 is the first in line with preouts. Price is $600-700.

Bobsticks, have you got that 905 yet? I'm waiting to hear your thought on that.

Not yet. I went to Fry's a couple weeks ago and they didn't have any instock, and I kinda prefer to buy local just in case...

In the interim I have spent way to much money on Christmas for my peoples, though I have no regrets on that. It's also worth noting that I have already admitted to being a bad audiophile and not really a gearhead. Right now I'm pretty happy with the sounds I'm hearing but you know I'll get around to it sooner than later and I'll post up when I do.

Huh?

Bobsticks did L.J. The same guy you just asked about it.

Did I rub you the wrong way somewhere along the line dude?
    Yeah, you gotta problem with that?

I'm just joking, I wasn't trying to be rude. Sorry if I came across that way

Suspended
    Okay, if you're really serious, fix my remote!

Suspended
    Quit lurking LDB and say something!

Okay, if you're really serious, fix my remote!
    It's broke again! Man, mine got dropped in a cup of water and it's still working. I did loose the pause button though, but I just put pause on one of the LCD buttons so it's all good.

Suspended

Temporary Off Topic Alert

No no, it's not broke. As a matter of fact the tilt sensor is starting to work better now for whatever reason.

Here's my latest dilema:

1) I start up the Watch TV activity
    2) I press the media key which gives me my TV channel preset keys on the display
    3) I press the device key to access functions for say, my TV

The problem is, I don't know how to get my TV channel presets back because when I press the Media key, this time nothing happens and my channel presets are no longer accesssible. The only way I know of to get the presets back is to point the remote away and press the Activity button again and then the Watch TV preset.

No no, it's not broke. As a matter of fact the tilt sensor is starting to work better now for whatever reason.

Here's my latest dilema:

1) I start up the Watch TV activity
    2) I press the media key which gives me my TV channel preset keys on the display
    3) I press the device key to access functions for say, my TV

The problem is, I don't know how to get my TV channel presets back because when I press the Media key, this time nothing happens and my channel presets are no longer accesssible. The only way I know of to get the presets back is to point the remote away and press the Activity button again and then the Watch TV preset.
    You gotta keep pressing the "Activity" key until your "Watch TV" menu pops back up. Your media presets should be under there.

One thing you can do to avoid this is set whatever functions you want to the LCD buttons under that particular activity.

Suspended
    So it sounds like by repeatedly pressing the Activity key, the remote will scroll through each programmed activity right?

Ah! Nevermind. By repeatedly pressing the Activity key, it toggles back-n-forth between the activities and the TV activity presets, and the Media keys reappear when I stop with the TV presets displayed. Thank you!

:Back to original topic:

Suspended
    Here are the specs for my 804's:

Is the Sensitivity spec or the power handling spec the one used to match up with the amp?

Here are the specs for my 804's:

Is the Sensitivity spec or the power handling spec the one used to match up with the amp?

both actually...

they do have a big impedence swing, so I'd give them enough power, sensetivity rating seems normal at 89 db/m/2.83v (about 1watt);

I'd say a 100 watts for normal playing without cranking them, 150 or (and preferably more) more to get the most out of them. Also, since they have a pretty big impedence swing, get an amp with enough current...

Does your receiver have pre-outs? you could get a poweramp too and get a dedicated pre later on...
    for High Current receivers, check out denon (but not the cheap ones) and rotel, or when you get a poweramp, definately check out parasound too...

usually, when the power increases noticably from 8 ohm to 4 ohm (not one wat more in 4 ohm than in 8 ohm or so eh), it's probably a higher current amp, the more it increases, the more current.

Keep them spinning,
    Bert.
    Life is music!

Mcintosh MA6400 Integrated
    Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-103 in midas body
    *Denon DL-304
    *Graham slee elevator EXP & revelation
    *Lehmann audio black cube SE
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Sonic link Black earth IC's
    Siltech MXT New york IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable
    Furutech powercord and plugs.

I'm a happy 20 year old...

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by basite
    both actually...

they do have a big impedence swing, so I'd give them enough power, sensetivity rating seems normal at 89 db/m/2.83v (about 1watt);
    2.83 volts is what the crossover at the speaker sees right? Is that a constant value? Decibels, in this regard are a measure of volume or loudness? 89dBm divided by 2.83v = a large impeadence swing?

I'd say a 100 watts for normal playing without cranking them, 150 or (and preferably more) more to get the most out of them. Also, since they have a pretty big impedence swing, get an amp with enough current...
    What I think I need to read here is a more specific explanation of "more current". That sounds too vague. More minimum RMS output current, more Dynamic power current... am I over-complicating again?

Here are the specs for the amp in my 5740:
    Minimun RMS Output for front, center, surround, surround back: 85 watts
    Dynamic power @ 8/6/4/2 ohms: 115/150/185/230

Does your receiver have pre-outs? you could get a poweramp too and get a dedicated pre later on...
    No, and this compounds the problem I'm having trying to decide between an all-in-one or separates. Budget considerations don't seem to be a factor from what I gather here.
    for High Current receivers, check out denon (but not the cheap ones) and rotel, or when you get a poweramp, definately check out parasound too...
    Thanks for those suggestions

usually, when the power increases noticably from 8 ohm to 4 ohm (not one wat more in 4 ohm than in 8 ohm or so eh), it's probably a higher current amp, the more it increases, the more current.
    That I understand. If resistance drops and voltage remains constant, an increase in current will increase power, in watts.
    Last edited by Rich-n-Texas; 12-02-2007 at 01:31 PM.

Forum Regular
    Rich

don't over think your receiver search, there are more things to take into account than high current.Sound quality is more important than measurements.
    Do you have any Cambridge Audio dealers in your area, if so give their 640r receiver a listen, it is far superior in sound to the mass marketers of the world.It does not have a lot of features, they concentrated on sound quality rather than a bunch of bells and whistles that you may never use.
    But fix your room first.

bill
    Speakers-Jm Labs
    dac= sim audio moon 300d

Amp-Sim Audio Moon I-3
    Display-Toshiba CRT
    Sacd-Cambridge Audio
    Remote-- Harmony 1100

Power-- Monster

Suspended
    I did some quick searches for higher end audio shops locally but haven't found any yet. Tweeter doesn't have a store in the Dallas area anymore, and the last time I went to the Magnolia HT room in my local BB, they were concentrated mostly on Denon audio equipment and Klipsch speakers. I'll check Cambridge's site and see if they have any dealers in my area.

Forum Regular
    Be careful because you will like the Cambridge.

bill
    Speakers-Jm Labs
    dac= sim audio moon 300d

Amp-Sim Audio Moon I-3
    Display-Toshiba CRT
    Sacd-Cambridge Audio
    Remote-- Harmony 1100

Power-- Monster

Cool

Outlaw.com has a nice line of amps you can hook into your receiver, then later you can upgrade to a pre-pro, replacing your receiver..
    And you are overthinking the requirements on your speakers, B&W speakers love power,
    true, but as long as your amp has an honest 100wpc or so dont worry.
    As for current, a decent amp will be high current, this basically means robust.
    With a standalone amp you can get by with 75w if your damping factor is high enough.
    With a receiver you'll probably need 125 or so.
    And dont worry about overpowering them, this is a rookie mistake, your speakers could handle 200 watts easily. This is because you'd be deaf and in jail for disturbing the peace before you could get them loud enough to do damage, however underpowering them
    could send them into clipping.
    Your current receiver can probably power these speakers fine if you dont get carried away, but its basically like a KIA 4 banger in a vette.
    Outlaw has a decent seven channel amp for a decent price, check it out
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread Information