Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 40
  1. #1
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    911

    Connecting DVD-A Player to a Receiver

    As I've ever really connected a DVD-A player to a receiver can someone tell me how many cables I need: Is it 6 component cables or 1 optical cable to get 5.1 sound. Will either of them produce the same sound or will one method give better sound then the other? Any recommended cables to get, or will I get the same quality results with something I get at Radio Shack than something I'd get at a high end store.

  2. #2
    Tyler Acoustics Fan drseid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Fairfax, VA
    Posts
    823
    Quote Originally Posted by hershon
    As I've ever really connected a DVD-A player to a receiver can someone tell me how many cables I need: Is it 6 component cables or 1 optical cable to get 5.1 sound. Will either of them produce the same sound or will one method give better sound then the other? Any recommended cables to get, or will I get the same quality results with something I get at Radio Shack than something I'd get at a high end store.
    6 quality individual RCA audio interconnects from Radio Shack should work fine... You can't use a digital connection due to copy protection issues (thank you record studios again)...

    ---Dave
    Last edited by drseid; 03-17-2005 at 06:39 AM.
    Integra DHC-40.2 Pre/Pro
    Coda 2 X 200 Watt Amp
    Rotel RB-985 5 X 100 Watt Amp
    2 Tyler Acoustics 2 Piece Linbrook Signature System
    1 Tyler Linbrook Signature Center Channel
    3 Tyler Taylo Reference Monitors
    1 ACI Titan II Sub
    Toshiba HD-A1 HD DVD
    Panasonic BDT-210 + 350 Blu-ray
    Consonance Droplet CDP-5.0
    Sony 55NX-810 1080p 3D-LED HDTV

    Office:
    Opera Audio Consonance CD-120
    Jolida 1301A 2 X 30 Watt Int. Amp (Sovtek Tubes)
    Opera Audio Consonance Eric-1 Speakers

  3. #3
    AR "Wisdom of Yoda"Member LEAFS264's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    171
    You most certainly CAN use a digtial connection if you have i-link on your player and receiver. Not everbody does,but to say it is not possible is just wrong.

    Jay

  4. #4
    Loving This kexodusc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Posts
    9,025
    Yes, those goofy i-links can support a digital hi-rez transfer. But, Hershon, I'm pretty sure you don't have an i-link input on your new Denon so 6 of the "gold" Radio Shack cables is fine...I used them, they'll do the trick.
    Alternatively, you can usually find some Acoustic Research cables dirt cheap on ebay. I tend to like the AR cables just a wee bit better, not so much for sound, but they just have a better, more snug fit IMO and feel like a higher grade of cable. I seriously doubt there's much of an audible difference, if any, though, but if it makes you feel better, the AR cables have a much higher retail price so maybe they are better?(as if price means anything). Not exactly a scientific approach on my part, but I sleep a wee bit better at night believing the AR cables are small step up on the Radio Shack cables.

    Of course, you'd have to wait for shipping...and Rat Shack is just around the corner from everyone...either way you'll get that player up and running!

  5. #5
    Tyler Acoustics Fan drseid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Fairfax, VA
    Posts
    823
    Quote Originally Posted by LEAFS264
    You most certainly CAN use a digtial connection if you have i-link on your player and receiver. Not everbody does,but to say it is not possible is just wrong.

    Jay
    This does not appy to Hershon, as he uses a JVC receiver. I was speaking specific to his system... Yes, I am aware of i-link, but most people don't qualify... Even my DVD-A Player from Denon does not have it, as it is not as recent (and I don't use a Denon receiver either, for that matter)...

    ---Dave
    Integra DHC-40.2 Pre/Pro
    Coda 2 X 200 Watt Amp
    Rotel RB-985 5 X 100 Watt Amp
    2 Tyler Acoustics 2 Piece Linbrook Signature System
    1 Tyler Linbrook Signature Center Channel
    3 Tyler Taylo Reference Monitors
    1 ACI Titan II Sub
    Toshiba HD-A1 HD DVD
    Panasonic BDT-210 + 350 Blu-ray
    Consonance Droplet CDP-5.0
    Sony 55NX-810 1080p 3D-LED HDTV

    Office:
    Opera Audio Consonance CD-120
    Jolida 1301A 2 X 30 Watt Int. Amp (Sovtek Tubes)
    Opera Audio Consonance Eric-1 Speakers

  6. #6
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    911

    Thanks but I'm a Bit Confused!

    I just bought this Harmon Kardon 31 DVD(-A) player to go with the Denon 3801 Receiver I got on sale (I'll probably resell both on Ebay with my track record!). In the event I don't like this Denon Receiver , I'm also going to try to see if the HK 32 DVD(-A) player when attached to my
    JVC receiver improves sound quality.

    As far as I know, please correct me if I'm wrong here, if I connect this HD-DVA player via optic cable to my JVC receiver unit (which already has a built in DVD player to play DVD-A), it will play DVD-A right on the JVC? Therefore, why can't I just use an optic cable to connect the DVD-A player to the Denon 3802 receiver? If not, I'll probably take the suggestion here of buying on Ebay the Accoustic Research Cables. Thanks for your help.


    Quote Originally Posted by drseid
    This does not appy to Hershon, as he uses a JVC receiver. I was speaking specific to his system... Yes, I am aware of i-link, but most people don't qualify... Even my DVD-A Player from Denon does not have it, as it is not as recent (and I don't use a Denon receiver either, for that matter)...

    ---Dave
    Last edited by hershon; 03-17-2005 at 07:03 AM.

  7. #7
    Loving This kexodusc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Posts
    9,025
    Hershon: Did you get the 3801 or the 3802?

  8. #8
    AR "Wisdom of Yoda"Member LEAFS264's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    171
    Quote Originally Posted by drseid
    6 quality individual RCA audio interconnects from Radio Shack should work fine... You can't use a digital connection due to copy protection issues (thank you record studios again)...

    ---Dave



    It sounded like you ment it couldn't be done do to copy protection issues.
    Which is not true.
    I'm sorry if you ment it another way.

  9. #9
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    911

    Oh the 3801 My typo!

    Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc
    Hershon: Did you get the 3801 or the 3802?
    It's the 3801, thanks for corrrecting me.

  10. #10
    Forum Regular N. Abstentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    2,671
    Quote Originally Posted by hershon

    As far as I know, please correct me if I'm wrong here, if I connect this HD-DVA player via optic cable to my JVC receiver unit (which already has a built in DVD player to play DVD-A), it will play DVD-A right on the JVC? Therefore, why can't I just use an optic cable to connect the DVD-A player to the Denon 3802 receiver? If not, I'll probably take the suggestion here of buying on Ebay the Accoustic Research Cables. Thanks for your help.
    Because the optical cable will not pass the MLP signal for DVD-A..because of copy protection. If you use only the optical cable then you can only get DD and DTS and NOT DVD-A.

  11. #11
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    911

    Oh, thanks for clarifying that!

    Quote Originally Posted by N. Abstentia
    Because the optical cable will not pass the MLP signal for DVD-A..because of copy protection. If you use only the optical cable then you can only get DD and DTS and NOT DVD-A.
    Thanks for clarifying that. I am so sick of these fat cats with their copy protection noncense! Do they think we really care if Brad Pitt or Bruce Willis only makes $2 million a picture instead of $15 million or if U2 only grosses 5 million on an album instead of $20 million?

  12. #12
    JSE
    JSE is offline
    MIA - Until Rich is back! JSE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Denial
    Posts
    1,929
    Quote Originally Posted by N. Abstentia
    Because the optical cable will not pass the MLP signal for DVD-A..because of copy protection. If you use only the optical cable then you can only get DD and DTS and NOT DVD-A.
    Exactly right. The "ONLY" way for your to get DVD-A sound from your player to your particular receiver is to use the 6 individual cables. Anyone who tells you different is wrong.

    I have the 6 cables run for DVD-A, plus the optical cable for digital sources, plus component cables for video. That's 10 cables. Ug!

    JSE

  13. #13
    BooBs are elitist jerks shokhead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Cal
    Posts
    1,994
    And dont forget,when playing DVD-A,the only thing your reciever does is volume so you have to set up the bass management in the DVD player.
    Look & Listen

  14. #14
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    184

    Whoa wait a minute.

    Are you saying that if i go spend a few hundred dollars on a dvd a player, i cant use digital optical or dig coax to hook it up to my receiver, and get surround sound from my disc? This only works with movies, not my $25.00 dvd auido discs?? I have to go buy the six individual rca cables? What about SACD?

  15. #15
    BooBs are elitist jerks shokhead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Cal
    Posts
    1,994
    Who said that? DVD-A and SACD uses the 6 analogs from player to reciever and uses the bass management from the player. Your dig outs are for cd's and DVD's and you use the reciever for everything.
    Look & Listen

  16. #16
    AR "Wisdom of Yoda"Member LEAFS264's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    171
    Quote Originally Posted by MomurdA
    Are you saying that if i go spend a few hundred dollars on a dvd a player, i cant use digital optical or dig coax to hook it up to my receiver, and get surround sound from my disc? This only works with movies, not my $25.00 dvd auido discs?? I have to go buy the six individual rca cables? What about SACD?

    Thats right you MUST use the 6 interconnects for SACD and DVD-AUDIO.

  17. #17
    Forum Regular paul_pci's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,246

    One little question so many responses

    Hershon, let me point one more thing out. If you send the Denon back to the rock from which it climbed out, your JVC does not have 6-channel analog inputs, therefore, no DVD-A from your Harman Kardon (or any other player). So, if you really want DVD-A, I think you and your new Denon should become fast friends.

  18. #18
    AR "Wisdom of Yoda"Member LEAFS264's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    171
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_pci
    Hershon, let me point one more thing out. If you send the Denon back to the rock from which it climbed out, your JVC does not have 6-channel analog inputs, therefore, no DVD-A from your Harman Kardon (or any other player). So, if you really want DVD-A, I think you and your new Denon should become fast friends.


    You hit the nail right square on the head!!!!!!!!


    Jay

  19. #19
    Suspended markw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Noo Joisey. Youse got a problem wit dat?
    Posts
    4,659
    Quote Originally Posted by MomurdA
    Are you saying that if i go spend a few hundred dollars on a dvd a player, i cant use digital optical or dig coax to hook it up to my receiver, and get surround sound from my disc?
    Welll, you CAN get surround sound from yer basic movie DVDs but not from DVD-A or SACD. For these you need those six analog cables.


    Quote Originally Posted by MomurdA
    This only works with movies, not my $25.00 dvd auido discs??
    Correctomundo!


    Quote Originally Posted by MomurdA
    I have to go buy the six individual rca cables?
    Only if you want to avail yourself of all that DAD-A and SACD have to offer. If all you want is a standard DVD player with no hi rez capabilities, then no.


    Quote Originally Posted by MomurdA
    What about SACD?
    Yep. They need those six analog cables just like DVD-A..

  20. #20
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    911

    Well I'm not really a DVD-A Fan!

    Quote Originally Posted by paul_pci
    Hershon, let me point one more thing out. If you send the Denon back to the rock from which it climbed out, your JVC does not have 6-channel analog inputs, therefore, no DVD-A from your Harman Kardon (or any other player). So, if you really want DVD-A, I think you and your new Denon should become fast friends.
    I'm hoping not to annul my marriage with the Denon 3801(I read various reviews which were extremely positive) but in the event I do, given my track record, my JVC actually does play DVD-A from the built in DVD player & actually I'm not that big a fan of DVD-A or even SACD as they stand now, in their early phases- which is to say there are some good DVD-A's out there like Yes's Fragile but most of the ones I've gotten (& resold on Ebay) have been either reprocessed stereo like the God awful Silverline Record Company releases of 60/70's English albums or mediocore like Tommy which Pete Townshend mixed himself, so that's not a deal breaker.

    I'm keeping my fingers crossed though. I was very impressed with your TV 5.1 surround sound on your Yamaha.

  21. #21
    Loving This kexodusc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Posts
    9,025
    Can't speak for all DVD-A's and SACD's, but the dozen or so I own are all absolutely fabulous improvements over their CD counterparts, though some excel only in the 2-ch hi-rez format which some gear might not faithfully be able to present to it's maximum potential (how audiophile of me was that to say?). See my review on Beethoven's 5th and 7th SACD in the Rave Recs forum for an excellent disc!!!

    Hershon, have any DVD-A's or SACD's left your looking to get rid of?
    Also, Hershon, does your JVC unit actually play the MLP/DSD tracks on DVD-A's/SACD's, or does it play the DD/DTS or CD layers?

  22. #22
    BooBs are elitist jerks shokhead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Cal
    Posts
    1,994
    Just a question? Why didnt you get the 2105 instead of a used older model?
    Look & Listen

  23. #23
    JSE
    JSE is offline
    MIA - Until Rich is back! JSE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Denial
    Posts
    1,929
    Quote Originally Posted by hershon
    I'm hoping not to annul my marriage with the Denon 3801(I read various reviews which were extremely positive) but in the event I do, given my track record, my JVC actually does play DVD-A from the built in DVD player & actually I'm not that big a fan of DVD-A or even SACD as they stand now, in their early phases- which is to say there are some good DVD-A's out there like Yes's Fragile but most of the ones I've gotten (& resold on Ebay) have been either reprocessed stereo like the God awful Silverline Record Company releases of 60/70's English albums or mediocore like Tommy which Pete Townshend mixed himself, so that's not a deal breaker.

    I'm keeping my fingers crossed though. I was very impressed with your TV 5.1 surround sound on your Yamaha.

    I may be wrong, but I have yet to see a receiver with a built-in DVD player that handles DVD-A. Any DVD player will play a DVD-A disk but you will not get the actual DVD-A sound unless it's a DVD-A player and the 6 analogs cables are connected. Without these, you are not listening to DVD-A sound. You are hearing the DTS, DD or 2 channel tracks.

    I bet there are a whole lot of people out there buying DVD-A disks and thinking they are hearing DVD-A sound when they really are not due to improper equipment or lack of the 6 analog cables.

    JSE

  24. #24
    BooBs are elitist jerks shokhead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Cal
    Posts
    1,994

    Talking

    That was my thought,most likly DD or DTS. DTS and its using all the speakers and thought is was DVD-A. See,the DTS sounds great to.
    Look & Listen

  25. #25
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    911
    Quote Originally Posted by shokhead
    Just a question? Why didnt you get the 2105 instead of a used older model?
    I originally got the Denon 2105 on sale from a place in LA called Magnolia for around (off the top of my head) $700 on sale. It didn't sound anything better than my JVC. I was going through Ebay a few days ago and they had the 3801 as a Buy it Now feature for $450 including shipping (no tax) & as I recall, and I may be totally wrong on this, the higher the Denon number the better the receiver is (the 3000 series is better than the 2000 series, and so on. The seller who has an excellent reputation listed it as being in perfect cosmetic & operating condition and hardly used. I looked up some reviews on this system, and they were all great (like when I read about Orb Audio for the first time). So I figured, why not give this one more shot especially for the money? If I'm not happy with it (or think that its an improvement over the JVC), I should be able to recoup most of the money by reselling it on Ebay. The Harmon Kardon 31 DVD player I bought for $250 including shipping I got on Ebay new also using Buy it Now after having researched it as well online and liking what was said. I didn't see any cheaper prices online anywhere.

    Anyway, I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. BUYING A New AV Receiver? Let me help and so can you!!
    By nick4433 in forum Home Theater/Video
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-12-2004, 12:28 PM
  2. Connecting a Subwoofer to an older Prologic receiver
    By Rono75 in forum Home Theater/Video
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-17-2004, 02:28 AM
  3. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-30-2004, 08:05 AM
  4. Question regarding SACD connections
    By Tyler in forum General Audio
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01-29-2004, 05:03 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •