Connecting blu ray player

Printable View

• 02-12-2010, 08:43 AM
    rayh78
    Connecting blu ray player
    Getting a new sony blu ray player.
    I guess I will hookup to the TV with the HDMI cable.
    I do have a Yamaha HTR-5560 that I use for sround sound but really dont use that often. Its connected to the audio out from the TV.
    For to use with playing music CD's can I hookup the DVDplayer with the HDMI to TV and then also use the digital out from the DVD to go to the Yahama so I dont have to have on the TV to hear music.
    Will this work and my choices are to use optical or coaxial which is better.

Or can the dvd player only use one of its outputs like just the HDMI

thanks.
  • 02-12-2010, 11:21 AM
    Hyfi
    Quote:

Originally Posted by rayh78
    I do have a Yamaha HTR-5560 that I use for sround sound but really dont use that often. Its connected to the audio out from the TV.
    For to use with playing music CD's can I hookup the DVDplayer with the HDMI to TV and then also use the digital out from the DVD to go to the Yahama so I dont have to have on the TV to hear music.

thanks.

Can't say for sure about that model but I use both outputs on my CDP, RCA and Digital, to supply both my main 2 ch system and my HT system.

Have you gone to MFG website and downloaded the user manual and read thru it?
  • 02-12-2010, 11:49 AM
    GMichael
    Quote:

thanks.

It should work. Optical and coaxial are about even. As I understand it, when using optical, the player will have to convert an electrical signal to a light signal and then the receiver converts it back. Some will say that this adds another chance to loose quality. Others will say that the optical cable is not affected by electrical interference the way coaxial can be. In the end, unless you have golden ears, I doubt that you'll hear a difference.
    Maybe if you live in a big city, then optical is better. If not then,....
  • 02-12-2010, 10:52 PM
    canuckle
    Quote:

I'd question getting a bluray player if you're not going to hook it up in a manner that lets you hear the new-format audio. The audio is half the fun :)
  • 02-12-2010, 11:52 PM
    Mr Peabody
    I personally prefer coaxial digital connection over optical, simply because I've had optical cables go bad where that's never happened to coaxial. Also, I've read when optical is bent it causes light distortions which are read as errors when received, as well as jitter.

I agree the Blu-ray audio is better than DVD but I doubt the Sony's bass management and speaker settings compare to the receiver if using the multichannel input and you don't have HDMI on the receiver. So run the HDMI to TV and either optical or coaxial to Yamaha, disconnect the digital audio from TV to receiver because you won't need it since getting the sound from the BD player. You only get 2 channel from the TV any way, not sure why those are even on a TV. You can also run an audio connection from satelite/cable box if using surround sound while watching TV programming. As a side note even the coaxial/optical sound is an improvement from BD over DVD, still less compressed.

To expand on something I mentioned above, when connecting the BD player via multichannel hook up to a receiver, the signal is already converted to analog by the BD player so it will bypass your receiver's internal processing. So if the BD player does not provide adequate speaker set up adjustment it could sound....... not so good. So according to me, it's better to have 5 channels of properly set up sound with some degree of compression verses 5 lossless channels gone wild :)