AR Newbie Registered Member

connect laptop to receiver?

I have an Onkyo receiver - don't recall the model number but it's one of their higher end models from 2 years ago. I want to be able to play my on-line music service (via a laptop computer with wireless network) through my receiver. Is that connection possible?

Thanks

Forum Regular
    yes, it is possible.
    you would want something to pass a digital signal to the Onkyo (assuming it has digi in).
    Edirol UA-1D comes to mind. relatively inexpensive for 16bit I/O.
    The UA-5 (edirol as well) is a great little box for 24bit I/O over USB 1.1. Not a bad sounding DAC either, probably better than that in your reciever. Those run about $200ish.
    check EBAY.

M-Audio Audiophile USB

Also in the $150 - 200 range is the M-Audio Audiophile USB external sound card:

Which has digital and analog I/O, and sounds great. makes my MP3's sound very impressive out of my computer. I am currently using the digital out to stream into my msb link dac. I'm pretty happy with it. also has a nice headphone out, and you can record your analog/vinyl sources into your computer with this, if you have them (although I haven't tried this feature yet). I got mine for about $160 on ebay.

-Eric

Couldn't you just connect the speaker output to a preamp input? I've done that plenty of times, and requires only a $3 cable you can get at Radio Shack.

Quote Originally Posted by N. Abstentia
    Couldn't you just connect the speaker output to a preamp input? I've done that plenty of times, and requires only a $3 cable you can get at Radio Shack.
    Oh yeah, that works too, and is much cheaper.

-eric

AR Newbie Registered Member
    Thanks for the help. I was hoping for a "$3 cable from Radio Shack" solution.

Yeah it's a mini plug on one end (plugs into the speaker output on laptop) then dual RCA's on the other which go to your receiver.

Forum Regular
    I've had problems with ground loops when connecting my laptop to my reciever this way.

If the laptop is plugged into the wall, then I get an odd humming sound. If its working off a battery, it sounds fine. Its certainly worth <$10 to test out, but don't be shocked if you have the same issue. I still haven't worked around it, but may end up buying a DVD player (Go Video) that allows you to stream audio and video over a network. Since my HT is next to the router, this should work for me. I just have to buy the DVD player to see if it works.

Good luck

Thread Information