Computer to HT....

Printable View

• 05-20-2004, 09:05 AM
    JStudrawa
    Computer to HT....
    Looking for the best/easiest/cheapest way to get 12gig of MP3s from my computer (located in bedroom, 25 feet away but walls, etc)) to play on the living room HT system.

Relevant info:

SB Live 5.1 sound card
    Denon 1801 AVR

Looking into iPod type avenues. Figuring a single stereo cable isn't good enough. Any other gadgets out? Maybe wireless router to a TIVO type receiver that inputs into the AVR (guessing)?

Edit: Also thought about a cheap laptop to sit on the AV shelf and direct play with a short cable.

Way out of the loop on this stuff. Thanks for any assistance.

Josh
  • 05-21-2004, 01:45 AM
    Wireworm5
    The easiest way I can think of to connect your computer to your receiver from another room is by using an external soundcard. You can use a long computer cable from puter to the external soundcard and connect soundcard to receiver with either shorter optical of rca wires. You could even use a very long optical cable for connecting an internal card, which I've never seen in stores but can be found online or coaxial cable inputs/outputs that newer puters and receiver have. The soundcard you mentioned I believe is internal and doesn't have the optical out that the Audigy 2 models have.I can't think of an approiate way to connect this card from another room. You could use 1 or 2 long mini stereo plug extension wires. But you run the risk of a bad connection with these which always happens to ones I've used. As for a wireless connection, It could be possible but I'm not familiar with this option and then there is a risk of signal interferance.
  • 05-21-2004, 06:44 AM
    IsmaVA
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Wireworm5
    The easiest way I can think of to connect your computer to your receiver from another room is by using an external soundcard. You can use a long computer cable from puter to the external soundcard and connect soundcard to receiver with either shorter optical of rca wires. You could even use a very long optical cable for connecting an internal card, which I've never seen in stores but can be found online or coaxial cable inputs/outputs that newer puters and receiver have. The soundcard you mentioned I believe is internal and doesn't have the optical out that the Audigy 2 models have.I can't think of an approiate way to connect this card from another room. You could use 1 or 2 long mini stereo plug extension wires. But you run the risk of a bad connection with these which always happens to ones I've used. As for a wireless connection, It could be possible but I'm not familiar with this option and then there is a risk of signal interferance.

OR, you can use a wireless (or wired) media router. It is like a network connection specifically designed for sharing audio and video files. You can find them at Circuit City, Best Buy and the like.
  • 05-21-2004, 06:53 AM
    lynn2c
    At the moment, I just use a laptop connected by a wireless connection to my network and have that hooked to my amp. I have a server that stores all my media files that I can access through this. I'm checking out this http://www.slimdevices.com for an alternative. I have played with the software, slimserver (by the way, it's free), and think it's pretty cool. You can stream your files to any computer that has a internet connection. Sure wouldn't suggest doing this on a dialup connection, but works well with cable or DSL. It's nice to access my collection of MP3's at work. Beware the open port though, already had to deal with a trojan, but am working on that problem
  • 05-22-2004, 01:53 PM
    vivisimonvi
    If you're ever interested in getting a DVD player, consider one that can play DVD-R/RW MP3's (provided your computer has a DVD burner)... There are few that can do this, though through research you can find one (like at www.dvdrhelp.com)

You can transfer about 4 gigs of mp3 music onto one disc to load into the player to your HT receiver. My 3-disc Apex 5131 can do this but I wouldn't recommend this particular player myself (I'm sure there are MUCH better players out there).