Thread: Component video

Forum Regular

Component video

I have a TV that says a dvd player must be set to 480i interlaced mode in order to use the component video jacks. I have a DVD player that has 525i and 525p as options for component video output. This dvd player does not work with either setting on my tv. I tried another dvd player that only had "s-video" and"component video" as video output settings. I chose "component video" and this dvd player works fine.

Has anyone ever heard of 525i? Is 480i the standard? Can anyone explain component video technology to me?

eqm
    Quote Originally Posted by tpcounty
    I have a TV that says a dvd player must be set to 480i interlaced mode in order to use the component video jacks. I have a DVD player that has 525i and 525p as options for component video output. This dvd player does not work with either setting on my tv. I tried another dvd player that only had "s-video" and"component video" as video output settings. I chose "component video" and this dvd player works fine.

Has anyone ever heard of 525i? Is 480i the standard? Can anyone explain component video technology to me?
    from the sound of it you'll probably need to make sure you've switched the dvd player (either through the menu or with a physical switch on the back). what kind and brand of dvd player is it..? what are you trying to accomplish with the component hookup?

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by eqm
    from the sound of it you'll probably need to make sure you've switched the dvd player (either through the menu or with a physical switch on the back). what kind and brand of dvd player is it..? what are you trying to accomplish with the component hookup?
    I am using component video with the dvd player because it is supposed to provide best picture quality and also I have my PS2 hooked to the s-video connection. I want to be able to use both DVD and PS2 without having to switch cables.

The Samsung dvd player provides two settings for component output 525i and 525p. Neither setting works with my TV. The Cyberhome dvd player offers only "s-video" and "component video" settings. When I use the "component video" setting it works fine.

My question is why would the cyberhome dvd player work and the Samsung not?
    What is 525i?
    What is 480i?

Thread Information