Denon 2808 and Oppo 981

I purchased a new oppo 981 less than a month ago to go with my sony 40" LCD. I also just preorded a denon 2808.Since the 2808 has a Faroudja chip, and the oppo does, do I need the oppo? Should I return the oppo and just buy a cheaper player and let the 2808 do the upscaling?

Forum Regular
    What is the native resolution of your set,it will rescale what you feed it to match its resolution.If you play a dvd,thats 480p,upscale to 1080p in the player or reciever,and send it to the tv,it may downscale it.The fewer times you scale it the better.See which device does the best job and use that device.I doubt it would be a reciever.

bill
    Speakers-Jm Labs
    Disc player-Sim Audio Moon Calypso
    Pre-amp-Sim Audio P-5.3 SE
    dac= sim audio moon 300d

Amp-Sim Audio Moon I-3
    Display-Toshiba CRT
    Wires and Cables-Kimber,Straight Wire, ixos, Gutwire and shunyata research
    Sacd-Cambridge Audio
    Bluray--Sony and Cambridge Audio
    Remote-- Harmony 1100

Power-- Monster

Quote Originally Posted by musicman1999
    What is the native resolution of your set,it will rescale what you feed it to match its resolution.If you play a dvd,thats 480p,upscale to 1080p in the player or reciever,and send it to the tv,it may downscale it.The fewer times you scale it the better.See which device does the best job and use that device.I doubt it would be a reciever.

bill
    How can you override the "chip"??? Or are you talking about connecting the OPPO direct to the TV?

Edit: Do you mean set the DVD player to 480p output and let the receiver upscale?
    Back in my day, we had nine planets.

Forum Regular
    I am not familiar with this reciever,can the scaling not be turned off.Or you could connect directly to the tv,less connections the better.

bill
    Speakers-Jm Labs
    dac= sim audio moon 300d

Amp-Sim Audio Moon I-3
    Display-Toshiba CRT
    Sacd-Cambridge Audio
    Remote-- Harmony 1100

Power-- Monster

Quote Originally Posted by musicman1999
    I am not familiar with this reciever,can the scaling not be turned off.Or you could connect directly to the tv,less connections the better.

bill
    Thanks Bill,

I have my OPPO direct to the TV with 1080i output but didn't really notice any difference when I had it run thru my 2807. I'm going to keep it this way for convenience (so as I can preview TV with the tunes still playing).

I asked more outta curiosity and knowledge. Thanks again.
    Back in my day, we had nine planets.

I believe you can bypass the scaling in the 2808. But I am pretty sure it is the exact same chip in both units, so I imagine that the quality would be the same. But I guess my point is should I get a nice DVD player with component output and run it through the receiver, or just HDMI straight into the TV. The upside is I save an HDMI port and possibly get a cheaper DVD player. The other side is I dont have any HDMI sources yet, and the DVD player wasnt THAT expensive. Although it would be nice to get a a player that handles the audio better.

Quote Originally Posted by SoundGuyDave
    I believe you can bypass the scaling in the 2808. But I am pretty sure it is the exact same chip in both units, so I imagine that the quality would be the same. But I guess my point is should I get a nice DVD player with component output and run it through the receiver, or just HDMI straight into the TV. The upside is I save an HDMI port and possibly get a cheaper DVD player. The other side is I dont have any HDMI sources yet, and the DVD player wasnt THAT expensive. Although it would be nice to get a a player that handles the audio better.
    Denon does an awesome job of "tweaking" the Faroudjia chip but Oppo seems to go even a step further. Maybe not noticable by most people but it is done. I don't consider the cost of the Oppo prohibitive and it does include SACD and DVD Audio so I think you are on the right track. Stick with your plan and I am sure that you will be happy. I doubt much money could be saved and still get the same quality and features.

Forum Regular
    SoundGuy

is your set 1080p or not,that is an important factor in your decision.You need to know if you can feed the set a signal in its native resolution or not.

bill
    Speakers-Jm Labs
    dac= sim audio moon 300d

Amp-Sim Audio Moon I-3
    Display-Toshiba CRT
    Sacd-Cambridge Audio
    Remote-- Harmony 1100

Power-- Monster

The set is 1080p

Forum Regular
    When you have all the gear in place,hook up dvd>reciever/tv,then dvd>tv and see which looks better.Also make sure there are no HDMI handshake issues.

bill
    Speakers-Jm Labs
    dac= sim audio moon 300d

Amp-Sim Audio Moon I-3
    Display-Toshiba CRT
    Sacd-Cambridge Audio
    Remote-- Harmony 1100

Power-- Monster