• 02-12-2005, 01:06 PM
    hershon
    CD players versus Progressive scan DVD Players
    Assuming your using the same speakers and same receiver, will a music CD sound better, the same, or worse, if played through a good progressive scan DVD player instead of a CD player?

Also, do regular CD's actually sound better when played through a SA CD player as opposed to a regular CD player?
  • 02-12-2005, 01:35 PM
    N. Abstentia
    Well there's no definite answer to that, the best thing to do is try them out on your system.

But keep in mind progressive scan has nothing to do with CD sound. That's for the video side of things.

But the more I think about it, the more I realize how impossible that is to answer. It's just too vague.

Will a $200 CD player outperform a $200 DVD player? Probably not. In fact if you use the digital connection they will sound the same. If you use the analog connections will they sound different? On a $500 system..probably not. On a $20,000 system..possibly. But then you wouldn't have a $200 player anyway.

Do regular CD's sound better through an SACD player? Well again...if you're talking an el cheapo SACD player like the Pioneer 578 then I wouldn't think so. Then again a regular CD player can't play SACD's and any SACD will blow a CD out of the water.

Tell us why you're asking this...maybe we can figure it out. Are you looking to get an SACD player? Personally I love my Marantz DV-6400 that does DVD/DVD-A/SACD/CD and I feel it was well worth the $550 because the sound quality is superb. Yes it does blow away my other DVD players on CD sound quality using the analog outputs.
  • 02-12-2005, 02:23 PM
    hershon
    I'm asking because I tried and returned a mid priced high end Marantz 5400 CD player and attached that to my DVD receiver via the auxillary inputs and I listened to the Beatles Rubber Soul and Revolver CD's both digitally via optical cables and then by analogue, and i hated the sound on both, they were substantially worse in sound quality then my receivers built in progressive DVD player. Of the 2 the digital sound was alot better. I also tried and returned a very high rate Onkyo C-390 & while the sound was alot better than the Marantz for the same Cd albums above, it still wasn't as good as my DVD players sound.
    Again, on this receiver, it sounded alot better digitally than hearing it on analalogue. Note, I did not change any of the tone controls or reEQ anything when I connected those 2 CD players. I'm happy with my CD sound on the DVD player, but if I can improve the sound quality by adding a seperate CD player for under $1,000 I'd consider it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by N. Abstentia
    Well there's no definite answer to that, the best thing to do is try them out on your system.

But keep in mind progressive scan has nothing to do with CD sound. That's for the video side of things.

But the more I think about it, the more I realize how impossible that is to answer. It's just too vague.

Will a $200 CD player outperform a $200 DVD player? Probably not. In fact if you use the digital connection they will sound the same. If you use the analog connections will they sound different? On a $500 system..probably not. On a $20,000 system..possibly. But then you wouldn't have a $200 player anyway.

Do regular CD's sound better through an SACD player? Well again...if you're talking an el cheapo SACD player like the Pioneer 578 then I wouldn't think so. Then again a regular CD player can't play SACD's and any SACD will blow a CD out of the water.

Tell us why you're asking this...maybe we can figure it out. Are you looking to get an SACD player? Personally I love my Marantz DV-6400 that does DVD/DVD-A/SACD/CD and I feel it was well worth the $550 because the sound quality is superb. Yes it does blow away my other DVD players on CD sound quality using the analog outputs.

• 02-12-2005, 02:24 PM
    Lensman
    Quote:

Originally Posted by hershon
    Assuming your using the same speakers and same receiver, will a music CD sound better, the same, or worse, if played through a good progressive scan DVD player instead of a CD player?

Also, do regular CD's actually sound better when played through a SA CD player as opposed to a regular CD player?

I actually covered this in my reply on the thread about your results with the Bedini cleaner. Geoffcin moved this post to the Audio Lab forum, so please look there for my take on it.
  • 02-13-2005, 04:14 AM
    Geoffcin
    It may not be as simple as that.
    Quote:

I'm asking because I tried and returned a mid priced high end Marantz 5400 CD player and attached that to my DVD receiver via the auxillary inputs and I listened to the Beatles Rubber Soul and Revolver CD's both digitally via optical cables and then by analogue, and i hated the sound on both, they were substantially worse in sound quality then my receivers built in progressive DVD player. Of the 2 the digital sound was alot better. I also tried and returned a very high rate Onkyo C-390 & while the sound was alot better than the Marantz for the same Cd albums above, it still wasn't as good as my DVD players sound.
    Again, on this receiver, it sounded alot better digitally than hearing it on analalogue. Note, I did not change any of the tone controls or reEQ anything when I connected those 2 CD players. I'm happy with my CD sound on the DVD player, but if I can improve the sound quality by adding a seperate CD player for under $1,000 I'd consider it.

I'm not sure what equipment your using, but I have never used a receiver with a built in DVD player. My guess is that such a receiver is designed specifically for that use only, and it's AUX input is most likely designed for a GAME console input, and may not be of high quality. If this is the case, whatever you hookup to it, no matter what quality will never sound as good as the internal DVD player.
  • 02-13-2005, 04:21 AM
    N. Abstentia
    Quote:

I'm happy with my CD sound on the DVD player, but if I can improve the sound quality by adding a seperate CD player for under $1,000 I'd consider it.

Well if you're willing to spend $1000 to improve the quality with a CD player, why not spend $800 for a nice receiver and $200 for a good universal player? Replacing an all-in-one unit with these will definitely improve the quality.
  • 02-13-2005, 05:04 AM
    shokhead
    That would be better,maybe a nice Denon 2105 with a 2815 DVD player.
  • 02-13-2005, 07:54 AM
    hershon
    Your Denon 2105 got great reviews I'm going to check this out at Good Guys
    Thanks for the recommendation. Your system got great reviews from customers & you could get one new for as low as $455 new with shipping, online, it retails for about $650. it looks like Good Guys carries this system & I'm going to check this out at their store, albeit with alot different variables and conditions that I'd have at home. I'm going to bring in 2 of the Beatles CD's I mentioned and see if they sound noticeably better through the Denon 2105.

Quote:

Originally Posted by shokhead
    That would be better,maybe a nice Denon 2105 with a 2815 DVD player.

• 02-13-2005, 08:42 AM
    hershon
    NAbstentia or anyone What Exactly is a Universal Player?
    I'm a little confused here. Is a Universal Player a progressive scan DVD player that also plays
    DVD-A & SACD? Is the sound quality for playing normal CD's as good on a universal player as a regular CD player? What about regular DVD's- are they as good as a regular progressive scan DVD? Appologize for my ignorance on this & welcome your input. Thanks

Quote:

Originally Posted by N. Abstentia
    Well if you're willing to spend $1000 to improve the quality with a CD player, why not spend $800 for a nice receiver and $200 for a good universal player? Replacing an all-in-one unit with these will definitely improve the quality.

• 02-13-2005, 11:18 AM
    paul_pci
    Quote:

Thanks for the recommendation. Your system got great reviews from customers & you could get one new for as low as $455 new with shipping, online, it retails for about $650. it looks like Good Guys carries this system & I'm going to check this out at their store, albeit with alot different variables and conditions that I'd have at home. I'm going to bring in 2 of the Beatles CD's I mentioned and see if they sound noticeably better through the Denon 2105.

Hey Hershon,

I was at Good Guys yesterday and they're having a sale on all Yamaha equipment (a plug for my preferred brand). In particular, you may wish to check out Yamaha's universal player DVC750 which got a stellar review on Audioholics.com. It's only $299. I just might get it myself one of these days.

But I'd definitely ditch the DVD-receiver.
  • 02-13-2005, 12:08 PM
    N. Abstentia
    Quote:

I'm a little confused here. Is a Universal Player a progressive scan DVD player that also plays
    DVD-A & SACD? Is the sound quality for playing normal CD's as good on a universal player as a regular CD player? What about regular DVD's- are they as good as a regular progressive scan DVD? Appologize for my ignorance on this & welcome your input. Thanks

Yeah you pretty much got it. A universal player should play all formats out today. A higher end universal player will definitely sound better on CD's than any low end CD player. The fact that it plays SACD normally means that the audio stages are pretty good.

Don't forget if you get a universal player you'll need a receiver with 6 channel analog inputs so you can use SACD and DVD-A.