• 04-22-2006, 04:21 PM
    EdwardGein
    Can Someone Speculate What Temporary Caused This Problem?
    Someone reliable sent me a Pioneer PD-65 CD player by Ground Service & something was internally wrong with it that must have been damaged during the shipment. I'm getting my full money back for it, that's not at issue. What I'm & the seller trying to figure out is what the original damage was as it doesn't make sense. Specifically, originally when this arrived- it was sent by ground from Ohio to LA & decently packed, no sound that came out whatsoever from the analog outputs yet the digital outputs worked fine. At first I thought this was either my cables or a problem with my input/input settings on my receiver but I was able to play my other CD player fine through the same analog settings, cables & inputs. The CD player also was set correctly on analog & I also tried various settings on it as well & it made no difference when connected by analog cables, there was no sound. A few hours later, I retested this again & this time the CD's weren't being read either- when I pressed play it wasn't playing. Out of curiosity, I looked under the CD door & there was alot of white gook on the bottom of it & other parts around it. Anyway, the seller who I know said he did not have a problem with the analog connections & just said to return it & he'll give me a full refund. He asked me to wipe the white goop off it. Today, I was about to pack this & I noticed that most of the white goop 2 days later was all but gone. Out of curiosity, I put in a Cd & connected this by the same analog cables in the same inputs & it played fine & there was no problem getting analog sound out. I'm still returning this though & he didn't have a problem with that, as I can't chance this reocurring. As an aside, I also liked the sound of my less highly rated PD-59 player better. Anyway, can someone please speculate what could have made analog sound temporarily not come out of this CD player while digital worked & why 2 days later it worked?T he only thing I can imagine is maybe the shipping caused some oil or something to leak which froze from the cold in Ohio if that makes any sense & maybe it took 2 days to thaw out?
  • 04-22-2006, 06:01 PM
    N. Abstentia
    The 'white gook' is commonly known as 'good sound paste'. The more white gook inside, the better the player will sound. You might need to order a new tube of sound paste and put more in your player. The pure silver sound paste sounds better than the white.
  • 04-23-2006, 05:14 PM
    Eric Z
    Get the good gook!
    Quote:

Originally Posted by N. Abstentia
    The 'white gook' is commonly known as 'good sound paste'. The more white gook inside, the better the player will sound. You might need to order a new tube of sound paste and put more in your player. The pure silver sound paste sounds better than the white.

I highly recommend going with Monster Gook; it's a little more expensive, but well worth it :D