Forum Regular

Either of these receivers a good deal on the used market?

Did some looking around a bit today and found 2 possible candidates that should improve my receiver situation. Either of them worth getting at their respective prices? and if not, what would be good prices for the model?

1. Onkyo TX-SR601 $159
    2. Yamaha RX-V2092 $169
    3 Denon AVR 2800 $249

Suspended
    I owned a Yamaha RX-V2092. Its MSRP was $1599. It depends on what you want to use it for. It doesn't support any of the new formats Dolby Digital, DTS, DPL II, so doesn't have digital inputs. Rated power is 100W/ch x 5. Like all Yamaha RX-V receivers it has excellent low inpedance drive capabilities.

The Onkyo is "digital-ready" so is already a leg up on the Yamaha. This receiver would be more compatable with todays media. At 85W/ch power's not bad, but I wouldn't use too demanding a speaker load.

The Denon is also a digital receiver very similar to my AVR-3300. It has 85W/ch and a good compliment of analog and digital inputs. This would probable be my choioce of the three. I think the Denons have a more audiophile sound than either the Yamaha or the Onkyo and good drive capabilities. The remote is a little less intuitive than most, but once you get the hang of it, it's not too bad. Surround formats are different and less configurable than the Yamaha line, but the five-channel stereo and direct formats are great for two channel listening. Surround modes are as good as the Onkyo and better (more current) than the Yamaha.

Forum Regular
    Doesnt the yamaha support DD with its 1 optical and 2 coax inputs?

Suspended
    It would seem that the 2092 does support DD. It also has pre-outs for an external amp.

Forum Regular
    its strange. i cant find anything about the digital inputs in the specs, but they are shown in the pictures, and described in the manual.

Suspended
    I went to Yamaha's website to find out about the DD support. I didn't see anything that stated there were Digital inputs either. I also wasn't able to see any pictures of the back panel. Where are you getting your pics and manual?

Forum Regular

Suspended
    My bad. You are correct it does support DD. I've had three different Yamaha HT setup over the years, R8/DPR-100Pro, RX-V2092 and my current RX-V2095. I'd forgotten it was digital. It also has 7 amps 5x100w and 2x25w. These points would change my recommendation slightly.

The Yamaha would be a good HT receiver because it's much more dynamic than either the Onkyo or Denon, But I think the Denon has better sound quality for music. The Denon is more three dimensional and projects into the room, where the Yamaha is more up-front. With the difference in price you could go either way. Either would make a good HT choice. The extra two channels on the Yamaha are for front effects speakers. They do a pretty good job of providing a little more ambience, but not a feature you can't live without. They are not configurable for another zone like many current receivers are. Thanks for correcting my mistake in a courteous manner. I wouldn't want to propogate mis-information.

Forum Regular
    No problems. Like I said, everywhere I looked, i found no info about DD, or digital ins. But I could see them plain as day. I had to research the manual in order to find anything at all. Its good to come here and talk to someone with experience with particular pieces..

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by bfalls
    Thanks for correcting my mistake in a courteous manner. I wouldn't want to propogate mis-information.
    Looks like you flunked out of the "Pixelthis School Of Mis-information".

Suspended
    Whoa is me. Please don't tell anyone. There goes my forum rep.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Rich-n-Texas
    Looks like you flunked out of the "Pixelthis School Of Mis-information".

If you'd follow some of my "misinfo" (like read a friggin manuel every once in awhile)
    you'd do better by yourself.
    Always gettin nipped at by my inferiours
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

Just buy a new onkyo 605. Search the net, you can find them for a little under $400. Then you wont be buying some else's headache.
    B&H photo has it for sale at $389.
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp