• 10-11-2006, 08:22 AM
    Tarheel_
    can i use my AVR as an external amp?
    see my earlier thread for my situation (is .2% THD too high)

My HK receiver has '8 channel direct inputs' ...the manual says,

"8-Channel Direct Inputs: These jacks are used
    for connection to source devices such as DVD-Audio
    or SACD players with discrete analog outputs.
    Depending on the source device in use, all eight jacks
    may be used, though in many cases only connections
    to the front left/right, center, surround left/right and
    LFE (subwoofer input) jacks will be used for standard
    5.1 audio signals.."

can i purchase a separate processor with 7.1 pre outs and connect it to these inputs for an amp and use the processor to control the 7.1 sound?
  • 10-11-2006, 08:41 AM
    paul_pci
    No, those inputs do not bypass everything and go straight to the amplifier. You'd need somethink like "main in" inputs on your receiver that would then reduce your receiver to an amp. Some have such an input, like mine, but many do not. Consult your manual for further clarification.
  • 10-11-2006, 08:48 AM
    markw
    do you mean "can you use my AVR as a power amp", right?
    Well., yes and no. Normally, the output of a pre/pro is fed directly to a power amp with no additional processing (like a preamp) between them. Some receivers offer "preamp outputs" in order to allow it's internal pre/pro to feed an external power amp.

Also, some offer, along with these outputs, "power amp inputs" in order to take everything out of the circuit except the power amp, and generally these have provisions to link the internal pre/pro to the power amp so it can be a standalone unit. These are not as common as the ones I mention in the previous paragraph.

Ideally, you want to feed the optput of your pre/pro directly to the "power amp inputs".

But, to answer your original question, yes, you CAN feed the output of a pre/pro to these terminals, but you'll be running the two preamps in series before the signal will see the power amp. Running two preamps in series will work, but this can cause it's own problems. Is this really what you want?

Personally, I would stick to using these with SACD/DVD-Audio units.
  • 10-11-2006, 09:00 AM
    Tarheel_
    i want to bypass all processing inside the HK and just use it as an amp....sounds like i cannot.
    I'll do some more research and maybe contact HK directly.

thanks guys.
  • 10-11-2006, 03:45 PM
    paul_pci
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tarheel_
    i want to bypass all processing inside the HK and just use it as an amp....sounds like i cannot.
    I'll do some more research and maybe contact HK directly.

thanks guys.

If this is something you are serious about, then maybe you could look for a HK model that has "main in" inputs that go straight to the amp. Or if you're not married to HK, then another brank av receiver.
  • 10-12-2006, 05:33 AM
    markw
    Or, even better,...
    Quote:

Originally Posted by paul_pci
    If this is something you are serious about, then maybe you could look for a HK model that has "main in" inputs that go straight to the amp. Or if you're not married to HK, then another brank av receiver.

...some multi-channel power amps, or even some monoblocks.