Bad news for sony RPTV fans

It turns out that by feb of 2008 sony will stop producing rear projo tvs that includes lcd tv and the beloved SXRD.

here are two websites that have more info.

http://www.twice.com/article/CA6514401.html

http://www.strategyanalytics.com/blogs/dmercer/123

i myself is very sadden by the shocking news that this has came up. I will miss the sxrd set that i see being sold at my circuit city that i work for firedog home theater install here in the Plano, TX area. But i am still happy for my Sammy DLP set that I own. but i know it is a matter of time for the DLP sets.

Cool

Thanks for the heads up.
    When I predicted earlier in the year that DPL in paticular and RPTV in general
    was a doomed form factor there were several on this forum who nailed me to the cross for it.
    Glad to see I am vindicated, when the number one seller of these gets out its all but over
    (phillips, tosh, and hitachi are all getting out)
    People want thin wall hanging sets that dont intrude into the living room and that
    the old ball and chain will approve of. There are several DLP and l-cos models that are
    wall hangable, but the disadvantages outweigh the advantages.
    I am not saddened by the loss of a consumer choice, because money and treasure not wasted on a dead format can be spent on the future, which is LCD
    (plasma will be the last to go, but with larger screen sizes it will soon be extraneous also)
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

This is a real bummer. I just happened to run across the news yesterday. Went immediately to Sony Style site and tried to bring up the KDS-Z70XBR5 but they've gone and taken it off!!!!??!

I currently own the Sony KDS-R70XBR2, and was planning to get the Sony KDS-Z70XBR5. The SXRD technology, especially at 70" offers the best value for money IMO. The picture is the most detailed by far. The downside is that with less than good source material you can see everything thats wrong, and things tend to look a little pixelated. Another weakness, Ive always felt, is the screen, which has the effect of making large white areas in motion look greasy - as if one wer looking through grease paper. Funnily enough I did get sort of used to it over time. I was anticipating that the new set would use a form of glass as the specs indicate(d) much heavier weight despite the overall depth dimensions been a lot less The upside is that given a really good source feed, at 1080i or 1080p, the picture is simply fantastic. Sorry news indeed. But Sony will not let us down and I'm sure there is better yet to come... But still a major letdown.

Thread Information