Thread: Dvi - Hdmi ?

Forum Regular

Dvi - Hdmi ?

My toshiba tv has a hdmi hookup, my 811 hd dish satellite receiver has only dvi out put , would i gain anything buy going with a cable with hdmi on one end and dvi on the other end, vs the way i have it hooked up now with component cables . the component cables im useing are the ones that came with the satellite receiver. or would i be better off upgrading the component cables with some 70 or 80 dollar rat shack stuff. thank

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    At this point in time there is no picture quality benefit in going with HDMI or DVI over component video. If you receive analog stations, you could actually find your picture quality deteriorate.
    HDMI does offer a smaller, less messy way of connecting your TV though...not as bulky as component video. Not sure if that's reason enough to fork out the money for one though.

The component video cables that came with my STB were actually remarkably well constructed. There's no reason to fork out $80 on component video cables. They are the exact same cable as the standard "yellow" video cable. Buy 3 of those and save some money. If you prefer red, blue, green component video cables, Ebay is a great source for find quality component video cables cheap - especially Acoustic Research...I picked up a set of $80 AR cables for about $18. Can't beat it.

Might be worth checking out.

HDMI also has audio. DVI doesnt. stay with a good quality component like monster video 3. and dont use a optical audio, use digital coax. its a true digital signal and you dont lose any high and low signals like you would with optical, regaurdless of price.

Thread Information