Forum Regular

Buying used receiver -- need help!

Hi all, it's been ages since I posted on AudioReview!

Just wondering what you would do if you were in my shoes. I just build a theater in my basement and I'm looking for something to power it so I can leave my Denon AVR-3300 upstairs in my other system (75% music, 25% HT). The basement will be 95% HT and 5% multichannel music (no 'serious' music listening). Also, I only plan on running a 5.1 set-up for the foreseeable future.

Here are my options for the new HT room:

Denon AVR-2803 - $340
    Pioneer VSX-1015TX - $300 (THX Select II certified)
    Marantz SR-19 - $450 (THX Select certified)
    Harmon Kardon AVR-430 - $300

Keep in mind that I originally set-out with a budget of $300 but I will stretch it a little if it is really worth it. I guess the big questions I have are: is the Pioneer a good HT receiver? Is it worth $300 (CAD); would the Denon be a step-up and would the Marantz be a really big step up?

Let me know what you think!
    Last edited by Keith from Canada; 10-31-2007 at 05:16 AM.

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    I'd probably go with the Marantz myself, those Pioneers seemed to have cheaped out at some point after the 1014TX set the world on fire.

IMO, the Pioneer isn't that great a price used considering what they sell for new.
    If the new receiver is going to be a secondary unit and you're worried about money, the Denon is probably the best of both worlds in terms of price and performance. Maybe that's the way to go.

I second the Denon.
    The Marantz may have an edge in sound, but when buying used, I'd go for the Denon reliabillity.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Thread Information