• 12-29-2005, 07:15 AM
    JeffKnob
    Buying a Factory Reconditioned Denon?
    I have been doing some shopping around for a new DVD player because my Panasonic is now noisy when it runs. I am liking the Denon DVD-1920 because it has DVD-audio, SACD, and the Faroudja processor. My local shop has this unit for $349 but I have noticed some online authorized retailers (according to Denon's website) have it for around $100 cheaper. These units are B stock or factory reconditioned. Should I be concerned about purchasing one of these units? Should I be concerned that there are so many places that are selling reconditioned units? Is Denon's quality not very good anymore?
  • 12-29-2005, 07:24 AM
    markw
    I haven't heard too many bad things about Denon on the whole.
    When you consider the number of units they pump out, some failures are to be expected.

As long as they were repaired at a Denon authorized repair facility and are being offered for sale at a Denon authorized "B" stock outlet I'd say you're fine. You might want be dang sure about these before jumping into a transaction.
  • 12-29-2005, 07:44 AM
    N. Abstentia
    I see way to many probleatic NEW Denon's to trust a refubished Denon. Of course maybe the initial problem is fixed on the refurb, who knows?
  • 12-29-2005, 08:10 AM
    noddin0ff
    I you purchase from an authorized dealer (which you've check with Denon) then you have full warranty and support. That's as good as new in my book. B-stock can become B-stock for many reasons. Some have nothing to do with the units function. I purchases a B-stock Denon reciever a couple years ago and am completely happy with it and saved a fair amount of cash too.
  • 12-29-2005, 08:33 AM
    jocko_nc
    I seriously doubt ANY "factory reconditioned" unit was ever actually defective or even repaired. I doubt it ever went back to the "factory".

The way products like this are manufactured, they would just as soon throw it away as even open it up. Think about the amount of labor time it would take to troubleshoot a receiver much less make a repair. Think about the caliber of worker it would take to handle the job. No way, too expensive.

I say "factory reconditioned" means surplus inventory at the warehouse(s) or wholesaler. That moniker is used to scare away 95% of the customers such that a full-fare sale is not lost in the process. I have bought a ton of such products, never a sign that it had ever been touched. Check the shipper, it usually ships from a wholesaler warehouse.

jocko
  • 12-29-2005, 09:40 AM
    noddin0ff
    I was talking to my local Paradigm deal who used to also perform refurbs (for Denon, I think). Some are actually repairs. But many are things like the customer not realizing you have to put batteries in the remote, or not understanding the manual. Some are just open box returns. But I couldn't distinguish my unit from a new unit.
  • 12-29-2005, 12:39 PM
    PDK
    I gave serious thought to buying a b-stock or refurb Denon 1920 as well (because of the outputs). I found the price at dakmart to be very attractive to buying a new one elsewhere. In the end, had I not already owned a DVD2200, I would have purchased one through them because they are Denon authorized. I've had several new Denon pieces and never had any trouble with them so the thought of refurb/b-stock didn't scare me too much.
  • 12-29-2005, 08:23 PM
    jocko_nc
    I am real curious how large lots (200+ units) of identical "refurbished" come up on the auction sites. Those are surplus inventory.

jocko
  • 12-30-2005, 01:08 PM
    JeffKnob
    I went into a Tweeter while seeing some family in Knoxville, TN to see if they would go down on the price for a new Denon 1920. They said they could only go down $25 on the normal price of $350. I think that is just a ridiculous. That isn't even 10%!

I think I am just going to go back home to WI and work with my local shop for a deal. If I can't get them to go down anymore at least I will save on the taxes. TN is 9.25% and WI is only 5%.