Forum Regular

Budget HT speaker question

Ok guys im looking to start getting some "newer" HT speakers. SOmething in a Mini Bookshelf for the WAF. Ok there is NOT a lot within a 50 mile radius of me to really audition. I have a Circuit City and they have Polk(which is what I currently have and I like them fine but they are older S4's and I cant "match" them with any of the new stuff) which is all id consider from there. The local Stereo Shop had Def Tech(too much so they are out of question),Boston,Klipsch,Snell(again too much $$$). And there is a shop thats about 50 miles away(in State College PA) that sells Paradigim. Ok I DID get out and get some auditioning done and here is what I did.
    OK, I got out a bit today and auditioned some speakers basicaly aside from Polks(that I have not audutioned yet but have a pair of S4's) its all I can audition in a 50-70 mile radius thats in my price range. I listened to the Klipsch RB-10($250/pair) and the Boston Acoustic CR57(180/pair) this was a A/B side by side test using the same reference material and receiver. The Klipsch seemed to "jump" out a little more and were kind of bright but not bad I don't mind that "horn" so much but could see mabey after a full days listening or over time where it may become harsh/old.
    The Bostons were more laid back and had mose Bass(well I think it had a bigger driver too mabey a 5" compared to the Klipsch 4". I think overall id like the Klipsch for just HT and the Boston for all around use although the Klipsch looks a lot cooler I think id take the Boston in that battle. I also got to listen to a Paradigm Atom but that was NOT a A/B test as it was at a store 50 miles away. It was nice but after listening to the others in a A/B it was hard to tell if the Paradigm would beat the Boston or not.
    Anybody have oppinions on these "mini" speakers and what do you think of them The Boston cr57/Klipsch RB-10/Paradigm Atom ? they all seem to be in that $200 a pair price range but since I could not compare all 3 side by side its hard for me to call. If there is anything else out there let me know in this $200 range for L/R but I don't think id be able to actually audition them these are all I could find localy since the audio store that used to carry some nicer brands went out of business.

Forum Regular
    Check out orb audio mod 1 speakers at www.orbaudio.com If you have a home theater I recommend you get 5 speakers and a sub
    Quote Originally Posted by C Bennett
    Ok guys im looking to start getting some "newer" HT speakers. SOmething in a Mini Bookshelf for the WAF. Ok there is NOT a lot within a 50 mile radius of me to really audition. I have a Circuit City and they have Polk(which is what I currently have and I like them fine but they are older S4's and I cant "match" them with any of the new stuff) which is all id consider from there. The local Stereo Shop had Def Tech(too much so they are out of question),Boston,Klipsch,Snell(again too much $$$). And there is a shop thats about 50 miles away(in State College PA) that sells Paradigim. Ok I DID get out and get some auditioning done and here is what I did.
    OK, I got out a bit today and auditioned some speakers basicaly aside from Polks(that I have not audutioned yet but have a pair of S4's) its all I can audition in a 50-70 mile radius thats in my price range. I listened to the Klipsch RB-10($250/pair) and the Boston Acoustic CR57(180/pair) this was a A/B side by side test using the same reference material and receiver. The Klipsch seemed to "jump" out a little more and were kind of bright but not bad I don't mind that "horn" so much but could see mabey after a full days listening or over time where it may become harsh/old.
    The Bostons were more laid back and had mose Bass(well I think it had a bigger driver too mabey a 5" compared to the Klipsch 4". I think overall id like the Klipsch for just HT and the Boston for all around use although the Klipsch looks a lot cooler I think id take the Boston in that battle. I also got to listen to a Paradigm Atom but that was NOT a A/B test as it was at a store 50 miles away. It was nice but after listening to the others in a A/B it was hard to tell if the Paradigm would beat the Boston or not.
    Anybody have oppinions on these "mini" speakers and what do you think of them The Boston cr57/Klipsch RB-10/Paradigm Atom ? they all seem to be in that $200 a pair price range but since I could not compare all 3 side by side its hard for me to call. If there is anything else out there let me know in this $200 range for L/R but I don't think id be able to actually audition them these are all I could find localy since the audio store that used to carry some nicer brands went out of business.

Forum Regular
    Ive got a pretty decent sub(Atlantic Technology T70) and stuff. I have just always been skeptical about how good those Orbs can sound compared to a more "full range" speaker with a woofer and tweeter and stuff. I wish I had a local place to listen to them. Oh and im in that $200-250 range for just a front L/R right now adding more on later as I get more $$$$.

Forum Regular
    I have the Orbs and they're great. You're better off saving to get 5 good ones rather than doing things peacemeal- you'll wind up with good money chasing bad, take it from me, I know. Good luck.
    Ive got a pretty decent sub(Atlantic Technology T70) and stuff. I have just always been skeptical about how good those Orbs can sound compared to a more "full range" speaker with a woofer and tweeter and stuff. I wish I had a local place to listen to them. Oh and im in that $200-250 range for just a front L/R right now adding more on later as I get more $$$$.

Forum Regular
    lol I hear ya. Bad part is when im trying to save $$$ up I always find something else to use it on in the meantime. I had $400, needed another $200 or so for the front 3 speakers I wanted but took so long to get that extra $200 I ended up buying a new Pistol for $250 so now im back down to $200...........that $$$$$ just seems to burn a hole in my pocket.........luckily the wife does the finances .

I've listened to all three of these and personally find the Atom to be clearly superior to the others. Also within your price range are Paradigm's Titan at $230/pair. These have more bass that the Atom, though some prefer the Atom's midrange performance to the Titan's. If you can find dealers (or want some other choices), you might also check out PSB's Alpha B speakers at $250/pair and Energy's XL-150 which retails for $200/pair.

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    I'd also suggest you look at the Athena Audition series...I think the if you look on ebay there's usually a few sellers that sell the AS-B1 bookshelfs new for about $100 and will cover shipping for free if you buy 2 pairs...
    Yeah you buy them from ebay, but at that price it's hard to avoid it.
    I'd put them right up there with Polks at Circuit City, probably not quite as good as the PSB or Paradigms at $200, although some probably like them better...but at that price it's a no brainer. $200 bucks for 4 speakers....yippee.
    To tell you the truth, at $180 or whatever the retail price is on those, they impressed me...don't think you'd regret that decision.

Forum Regular
    Thanks guys! I would not be able to actually audition those other ones BUT I will do some research and see what they are all about.

Forum Regular
    I definitely have to agree with Kex on the Athenas. Without a doubt, they are an entry-level speaker, but the price/sound quality ratio is REALLY impressive. I'm certainly a home theater newbie, but listened to a lot of speakers (in my lowish price range) before deciding on the Athena Auditions, and for what I paid I am loving what I got. Agreed, probably not quite on par with the Paradigms, but again - value value value.

Also, if you are definitely constrained to a bookshelf setup, you might take a look at the AS-B2s. They can be had for almost as cheap as the B1s, but I found they had a richer sound and slightly better range. In a small room on a tight budget, they could certainly pull their weight as mains.

Good luck.

Thanks guys! I would not be able to actually audition those other ones BUT I will do some research and see what they are all about.

Forum Regular
    I have not listened to the others but I own the Atoms and think they provide wonderful sound for the price.

Forum Regular
    My vote goes for the Orbs...a very tough price/performance ration to beat. They sound muh fuller than you would ever expect from a sub/sat system.

Forum Regular
    Celestion F15 bookshelf speakers
    $220 pr retail
    Available in high WAF Dark Apple
    sound better than anything under $300 (give some depth to soundstage, fairly extended in bass, rolls off slowly to match well with subwoofer)
    Get 5 or six or seven of them depending on surround system desired and use identical speakers for all channels (sounds better than most overpriced under designed "center channels" or dedicated surround speakers).

If you need a new sub it is not wise to skimp on quality. A cheap sub will do more things wrong than it does right. Martin Logan Dynamo, Kef PSW2000, NHT SW10II.

Forum Regular
    Thanks guys! I kinda even forgot I started this post. I just got some Mirage Omni 60's. Just baout have them broke in now and I love them! Oh and no my sub is great the Atlantic Technology T70. Won't need a new one for a long time! Thats a GREAT value priced sub for a smaller living room! Can't think of anything in its price range thats better.

Thread Information