Forum Regular

Bose, Don't bash them to bad please LOL I need advice

Ok, so I couldn't help myself despite the reviews I read before purchasing my first ever speaker system. I bought a pair of Bose 701's, a pair of 301's series IV, Bose center VCS-300 and a pair of Bose AM-5 cubes on craigslist for $300.00, they were mint.

My question is what would be a good 7.1 receiver for these speakers and should I get a subwoofer for this as well. I am also trying to figure out speaker placement. This is going to be used for Theater style listening more than music, way more actually. Any help would be appreciated and for my first system I hope I didn't do to bad with the speakers. Thanks

Ajani
    at $300, I think you did just fine... I've heard Bose with both Yamaha and Denon... either brand should be fine for your setup...

Forum Regular
    I was looking at this on Ebay, Yamaha HTR 5790 7.1 channel 770 Watt Receiver. I am thinking this should do the trick. What Bose sub or any should I get?

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by dliebe32
    I was looking at this on Ebay, Yamaha HTR 5790 7.1 channel 770 Watt Receiver. I am thinking this should do the trick. What Bose sub or any should I get?
    "Doze" is big on the sub-sat concept, dont know about the ones you got but betcha
    a sub would help.
    A buddy loves his velodyne, I had a klipsch , and currently have a B&W ASW1000
    with a bad plate amp, but it sounds great when its working.
    Yamaha is one of those great "secrets " of HT, for some reason their subs tend to be quite good, and cheap.
    Go figure
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

It's the Bose cubes used for mains that most of us don't like. The speakers you picked up are not bad at all. The rear surrounds don't get much use, so the cubes should be fine there. You also got a great deal. Congrats.
    I'm not sure of the specs or power requirements on those though. A basic AVR may be all you need.
    You should get a sub. Bose does not make very good subs, but those don't have to match the rest of your speakers. Take a look at one of these. They are cake to assemble. http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage....ctGroup_ID=536
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

wow $300 for all those speakers is a steal.

yamaha or denon or onkyo all make good receivers. are you getting into bluray? if so you might want to make sure the receiver has at least 2 HDMI 1.3 inputs and can decode TrueHD and DTS:MA. might be good to get this stuff to futureproof yourself anyway.

what kind of budget do you have? the onkyo 605 can be had for like $300 on ebay right now and would be very nice.

also, stay away from bose subs, they are made for those cube speakers and wont complement the 701s very well.

Forum Regular
    I am looking at an 605 now that I am going to buy on Ebay. Looks like the perfect fit for what I have. I am also going to switch to bluray dvd as well. Was thinking of getting a Yamaha powered sub. It does need to be a powered sub correct? I was thinking about placing the cubes in the front 2 corners but guessing they will sound better on top of the rears. correct? Thanks and very grateful for all of the advice thus far.

Sell the whole lot on ebay and get something good.

Sorry, just my opinion.

Oh, and there is no such thing as a "bluray dvd". It's Blu-ray Disc or BD for short.

OK, enough lecturing...

Even though I hate Bose for a number of reasons, the Onkyo 605 would be a great receiver and, yes, you would want a powered sub. Yamaha is not exactly a high end sub, but it may do the trick. Not sure what you are looking at or what your budget is. I would recommend a sub that is at least 150-watt, but preferably more. It all depends on what you want to spend.

I put the Gee in Gear.... thekid's Avatar
    For the price paid you did alright though you will get beat up by some just because you have Bose. For what it is worth my Bose set up did/does alright on either of my Pioneer's VSX-815 or VSX-517. I am assuming it was a typo when you mention a VCS-300, I think you meant a VCS-10 but it seems to do best with lots of power. Last thing regarding the reciever choice; the local Bose store has all their gear set up to Onkyo's. Not sure if that is a quality choice or marketing choice.

Forum Regular
    Well I just purchased online from circuit city the silver onkyo TX-SR605S and the Onkyo 230 watt SKW204 Powered Subwoofer. I think that should do it. I am also going to get the Samsung P1000 BD player as well just because of the pretty blue lights lol.

I put the Gee in Gear.... thekid's Avatar
    Well I just purchased online from circuit city the silver onkyo TX-SR605S and the Onkyo 230 watt SKW204 Powered Subwoofer. I think that should do it. I am also going to get the Samsung P1000 BD player as well just because of the pretty blue lights lol.

D

Congrats on your purchase and I hope you enjoy it!
    Welcome to AR!

Now comes the best part:

an-tis-a-pa-ya-tion.

Enjoy your new system when it shows up. Don't forget to stop back in and tell us what you think. Maybe even post a picture or two of it.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

dax
    Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    It's the Bose cubes used for mains that most of us don't like.
    Over the weekend a friend purchased a Samsung 52" LCD HDTV, a Samsung Bluray player, and one of those Bose cube systems. He was all excited about it because they were being delivered this Friday. Another guy and I were dissing his Bose selection for a couple days. Yesterday he told us that he cancelled the Bose system and replaced it with a Yamaha receiver and Klipsch speakers.

I am looking at an 605 now that I am going to buy on Ebay. Looks like the perfect fit for what I have. I am also going to switch to bluray dvd as well. Was thinking of getting a Yamaha powered sub. It does need to be a powered sub correct? I was thinking about placing the cubes in the front 2 corners but guessing they will sound better on top of the rears. correct? Thanks and very grateful for all of the advice thus far.
    to answer your question on placement, do something like this, except with the sub at the front of the room

701s at the front, 301s at the "sides" and cubes at the rear.
    Home Theatre:
    50" Panasonic TH-50PZ77
    Denon AVR-3808CI
    B&W 603 S3
    B&W LCR600 S3
    Paradigm Cinema ADP v.3
    SVS PB12-NSD
    Xbox 360 250GB
    Playstation 3 60GB
    Explorer 8300HD PVR 320GB
    Netgear ReadyNAS NV+ 8TB
    Harmony One

2-Channel:
    Paradigm Studio 20 v.5
    NAD C320BEE
    NAD C521BEE

Forum Regular
    You guys are awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I just tracked it and it will be here Friday. I am going to work on everything over the weekend and snap some photos. I am very excited to finally have a surround sound setup... Thanks for all of your advice..

Thread Information