Bluray player help

Printable View

  • 11-22-2010, 08:04 AM
    L.J.
    Bluray player help
    Hey guys, I'm looking to finally replace my final 2 DVD players with BR players. Both will be bedroom players and my only real concern is having something affordable ( around $100 - $120) but decent. Netflix is a must and anything else would be a plus. Will be running ethernet to both so don't need wifi. Bedroom display is 720 & other display will eventually be HD as well.

    Not sure what's decent out there since I haven't looked at players in a long time. Any thoughts or input would be great. Also, I have family that works at Best Buy, so if the player comes from there, I may be able to get something a little more expensive, but the discount would bring it down to my price point :D
  • 11-22-2010, 09:49 AM
    Tarheel_
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by L.J.
    Hey guys, I'm looking to finally replace my final 2 DVD players with BR players. Both will be bedroom players and my only real concern is having something affordable ( around $100 - $120) but decent. Netflix is a must and anything else would be a plus. Will be running ethernet to both so don't need wifi. Bedroom display is 720 & other display will eventually be HD as well.

    Not sure what's decent out there since I haven't looked at players in a long time. Any thoughts or input would be great. Also, I have family that works at Best Buy, so if the player comes from there, I may be able to get something a little more expensive, but the discount would bring it down to my price point :D

    I vote for the Samsung C-5500. I own the one up C-6500 (wireless and analog outs). Great player, decent remote, firmware updates are easy. Plus, the startup is wicked fast. Low profile. Overall, a great set of players. You should find this model in your price range.

    Check out this link to BB. They have the 6500 for $139. Great player plus wifi!
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Samsung+...&skuId=9776791
  • 11-23-2010, 06:36 AM
    L.J.
    Thanks. Can you tell me if you have a full Netflix interface with your player? And ease of use? I would like to be able to browse their entire library, but want my kids to be able to do it on their own as well.

    I've also looked at the LG 570, Sony 570 and the mentioned Samsung. All seem to be pretty close in features. I've always had problems with Samsung in the past so I'm kinda wary. Anybody own the mentioned Sony or LG models?

    I will also be considering going with a Roku and bypassing BR altogether...
  • 11-23-2010, 09:22 AM
    ForeverAutumn
    I have the Sony BDP-560, the prior model to the 570. I bought the 560 because it has wifi which I needed for my house. The 370 doesn't have wifi and is quite a bit cheaper.

    I'm not sure about streaming Netflix. I've had the player for almost a year but only got around to setting up the wifi last weekend. And Netflix has just arrived in Canada so I haven't even looked into it yet.

    But otherwise, I like this player. Blu-Rays do take a few minutes to load though. DVDs start right away.
  • 11-24-2010, 09:59 AM
    kevlarus
    The Sony BDP-570 has even faster load times and built-in wifi. Plays DVDs just fine but haven't true bluray yet.

    Has built-in support for streaming netflix, pandora and several others. No 5.1/7.1 audio jacks though. Just hdmi or fiber audio with component out.
  • 11-24-2010, 11:13 AM
    noddin0ff
    I just got the Samsung C-5500 for ~$131

    Netflix works well. My kid is a tad on the young side (7) to browse, but she can select and play. I run ethernet to the player as well.

    Samsung has this Samsung apps platform their pushing that looks like it might have promise. Currently, there is ready access to Netflix, Vudu, Pandora, MLB.tv (off season so I don't know what it really does), google maps, usa today. weather...stuff.

    Decent player overall
  • 11-25-2010, 12:51 AM
    Woochifer
    It's at a point where most of the BD players now come with Netflix and other built in streaming services. The only thing you have to watch out for is if the wireless internet receiver is built into the player or if you have to shell out extra bucks for a dongle that contains the wi-fi antenna. Of course, all this is moot if you have a wired ethernet connection available.

    The prices have gotten to ridiculous levels for what you get. The Black Friday deals look very inviting if you're in the market. I recall that the ad featured a Panny for $100 and a 3D Sony or Samsung ? model for about $130. Those all came with built in Netflix, Pandora, and other goodies.
  • 12-21-2010, 11:57 AM
    L.J.
    Hey thanks for the help everyone. I tried going with 2 LG BD570 players and ran into issues with both. In the short week that I owned both players, LG issued 2 updates. Both players had major issues with the updates so I said screw it and took em both back. Went with a Vizio with internet apps TV for my kids room and went with yet another PS3 for the other room. Amazon had a $75 credit with PS3 purchase so I jumped on that.
  • 12-21-2010, 12:28 PM
    ForeverAutumn
    I think that a PS3 was wise. Now that Netflix is in Canada I wish I'd gone with a PS3 instead of either my XBox or Sony BDP. I need our last DVD player to die so that I can justify an upgrade. The only problem is that we never use it...hard to kill it that way. :(
  • 12-21-2010, 12:55 PM
    recoveryone
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    I think that a PS3 was wise. Now that Netflix is in Canada I wish I'd gone with a PS3 instead of either my XBox or Sony BDP. I need our last DVD player to die so that I can justify an upgrade. The only problem is that we never use it...hard to kill it that way. :(

    I know the feeling Autumn, I have 2 older Pioneer Elite DV 45a that are great units and still work flawlessly. But I am moving into the Blu Ray and with the upscaling on legacy DVD's I see no need to hold on to them. I will probably pass them along to a family member or close friend that is still dragging their feet into real HT.
  • 12-22-2010, 12:13 PM
    pixelthis
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    I think that a PS3 was wise. Now that Netflix is in Canada I wish I'd gone with a PS3 instead of either my XBox or Sony BDP. I need our last DVD player to die so that I can justify an upgrade. The only problem is that we never use it...hard to kill it that way. :(

    Waiting for it to die? Thats what relatives and thrift stores and want ads are for.
    I don't even bother selling cast offs anymore, just pass em on to relatives.
    A NEW dvd player can be had for as little as 25 bucks, the residual value in your player
    can't be that high. Chuck it and move on.:1:
  • 12-22-2010, 12:52 PM
    GMichael
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    I think that a PS3 was wise. Now that Netflix is in Canada I wish I'd gone with a PS3 instead of either my XBox or Sony BDP. I need our last DVD player to die so that I can justify an upgrade. The only problem is that we never use it...hard to kill it that way. :(

    Maybe you could accidentally bump into it and knock it down. (With a 3 pound hammer) Totally by mistake of course.
  • 12-25-2010, 07:53 PM
    winston
    L.J" as i write this post I'm watching my 13 yo baby boy streaming with the PS3 250 that I bought him, (this is one amazing machine) if I ever decide to work on my "controller skills" I maybe buying one more for myself, he just throw the Internet cable in the back of that thing and have it updated, (I didn't even realized that this thing is a damn computer as I watch him attached Google chrome to it)

    we just finish watching the expendables on vudu and I'm really impressed with this PS3 !! that said "you being a PS3 man an all, I know you would be getting another.

    I didn't think that I would be saying PS3 is a good value but after seen my "son work this thing, the "game mode" is really just the (gist) of this machine
  • 12-26-2010, 01:42 AM
    pixelthis
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by winston
    L.J" as i write this post I'm watching my 13 yo baby boy streaming with the PS3 250 that I bought him, (this is one amazing machine) if I ever decide to work on my "controller skills" I maybe buying one more for myself, he just throw the Internet cable in the back of that thing and have it updated, (I didn't even realized that this thing is a damn computer as I watch him attached Google chrome to it)

    we just finish watching the expendables on vudu and I'm really impressed with this PS3 !! that said "you being a PS3 man an all, I know you would be getting another.

    I didn't think that I would be saying PS3 is a good value but after seen my "son work this thing, the "game mode" is really just the (gist) of this machine

    You have just scratched the surface. I DISS the PS3 fanboys on this site to stir debate,
    but it really is a great compu--- game system.
    Yeah, right.
    Sony just bought out the CELL proc that powers this bad boy, see my post in the news section.:1:
  • 12-27-2010, 11:37 AM
    L.J.
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by winston
    L.J" as i write this post I'm watching my 13 yo baby boy streaming with the PS3 250 that I bought him, (this is one amazing machine) if I ever decide to work on my "controller skills" I maybe buying one more for myself, he just throw the Internet cable in the back of that thing and have it updated, (I didn't even realized that this thing is a damn computer as I watch him attached Google chrome to it)

    we just finish watching the expendables on vudu and I'm really impressed with this PS3 !! that said "you being a PS3 man an all, I know you would be getting another.

    I didn't think that I would be saying PS3 is a good value but after seen my "son work this thing, the "game mode" is really just the (gist) of this machine

    The $75 Amazon credit made it impossible to pass up :wink5:

    I get plenty of use well beyond BR playback so worth every penny.