Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Suspended
    No it isn't you fvckin dumbass. It's been said over and over here that the BD player in the PS3 is far superior to the players in it's price range, and is easily upgraded via internet. It loads disks faster, provides excellent PQ and can handle the lossles audio formats without batting an eyelash. Take your head out of your ass okay? Just because you don't own one doesn't mean it's only a gamers option. Now admit you're wrong pig.

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Easy characters...
    So, I broke into the palace
    With a sponge and a rusty spanner
    She said : "Eh, I know you, and you cannot sing"
    I said : "That's nothing - you should hear me play piano"

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Uh oh. Rich is drinking coffee again.

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    LOL

Quote Originally Posted by pixelthis
    But the basic question is, do you want to play games enough to put up with the drawbacks of using a gaming console day in and out(well, a computer disguised as
    a gaming console)?
    THE PLAYSTATION IS VERSATILE, but a lot of standalone players these days can sream video, so it boils down to, are you a gamer?
    Thats really all it amounts to.
    I believe that the PS/3 also streams video.

Uh Rich? Are you OK man? I could send a couple ladies to help you relax if you like.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Put up with what drawbacks?

Only thing that comes to mind is the already mentioned lack of analog outputs. If this isn't a problem, you got yourself a KILLER BR player that has all the media center capabilities you could want.

M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LMB
    Thanks for the info
    Still prefer the Oppo
    I am not interested in changing your preferences really. I am just outlining the differences between a software solution and a SOC solution. One is infinitely more flexible than the other, and outlining those differences was my only goal. .
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

But the basic question is, do you want to play games enough to put up with the drawbacks of using a gaming console day in and out(well, a computer disguised as
    a gaming console)?
    I use a gaming console day in and day out, and it has never bothered me or the millions that use the PS3 as a Blu ray player/streaming device.

THE PLAYSTATION IS VERSATILE, but a lot of standalone players these days can sream video, so it boils down to, are you a gamer?
    Thats really all it amounts to.
    Most Blu ray players can stream only what widgets are loaded on to them. Netflix, Amazon, or youTube. The PS3 can stream just about anything with Playon, and no other Blu ray player can do that. So you can take the gamer question out, I don't play games on my PS3. It is not limited to that use.
    Sir Terrence

Oppo BDP-103D
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    THX Style Baffle wall

And it looks like he chased that down with a Red Bull as well.

Rich, enhance your calm!
    Sir Terrence

Oppo BDP-103D
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    THX Style Baffle wall

LMB
    Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Terrence the Terrible
    I am not interested in changing your preferences really. I am just outlining the differences between a software solution and a SOC solution. One is infinitely more flexible than the other, and outlining those differences was my only goal. .
    Thank you
    Have a good evening

I leave for 15 minutes and come back to find live ammo being used. Will someone please post a body armor advisory the next time? Sheeesh!
    *Panasonic 60" Plasma HDTV
    *Marantz AV7005
    *Marantz MM7055
    *Oppo Digital BDP-95
    *Silverline Audio Sonatina MK II
    *Silverline Center Stage
    *Silverline Audio SR11
    *SVS SB12

http://www.panasonic.com
    http://www.marantz.com
    http://www.oppodigital.com
    http://www.silverlineaudio.com
    http://www.svsound.com

Quote Originally Posted by BadAssJazz
    I leave for 15 minutes and come back to find live ammo being used. Will someone please post a body armor advisory the next time? Sheeesh!
    Sorry about that. I only rested my eyes for a second, I swear.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Cool

I guess the people with the white coats ran outta Thorazine again.
    Yes that is the "main" point.
    I saw a friends PS3 and it was nice, but didnt have a signifigant edge over dedicated players, IMHO, and my friend didnt like it either, because he didnt play games and
    didnt like the compromises , basically just wanted a player to load a disc into.
    Thats the most important point, if you're not a gamer you need a dedicated BLU
    player, is all I am saying.
    NOW call the nurse, and this time remember you're not Sarah Conner running from a terminator, okay?
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

I saw a friends PS3 and it was nice, but didnt have a signifigant edge over dedicated players, IMHO, and my friend didnt like it either, because he didnt play games and
    didnt like the compromises , basically just wanted a player to load a disc into.
    NOW call the nurse, and this time remember you're not Sarah Conner running from a terminator, okay?
    What are the the compromises you speak of? It does just as good a job as most BR players and will continue to get better as time goes on. With a BR player, what you have it all you will get. The only compromises I know of is the lack of 7.1 analog out. If all he wants to do is loads the discs and play, it does that, and it does it faster. Gamer or not, it's a great BR player and shouldn't be left off anyone's list for that reason alone. Even if you don't play games, it still does so much more. You might want to take a closer look at all the things it can do.

because he didnt play games
    Well thank goodness I'm a gamer

Pix, IMHO you are out of your mind.......I have several PS3's and I am not a gamer. Some of us can think out of the box and realize that no dedicated Blu ray player has the flexibility that the PS3 has. Just because it does not look like a traditional disc player, does not make it inferior. It is only sheeple like yourself who are so locked in to traditional dogma that you insist that a good Blu ray player has to look like an ordinary electronic box to be considered good. You are a prime example of a old dog that cannot learn new tricks, or anything for that matter. Why don't you leave comments about the PS3 to those who actually own one. Nobody wants to hear the opinion of your friend filtered through you.
    Sir Terrence

Oppo BDP-103D
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    THX Style Baffle wall

LMB
    Forum Regular
    WoW

Sorry I brought up the OPPO

Quote Originally Posted by LMB
    WoW

Sorry I brought up the OPPO
    Meh, the Oppo is not the issue here, it is profound ignorance consistently exibited by one of our oldest senile members.
    Sir Terrence

Oppo BDP-103D
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    THX Style Baffle wall

Suspended
    What SIr T says is EXACTLY right, and is the reason I get so pissed off when dumbass spews his tired old and highly opinionated tripe despite the facts that people here, who actually know something, provide for the members and casual passers-by alike.

To everyone else who's eyes may have bled a bit due to my outburst, I apologize, a little.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Rich-n-Texas
    What SIr T says is EXACTLY right, and is the reason I get so pissed off when dumbass spews his tired old and highly opinionated tripe despite the facts that people here, who actually know something, provide for the members and casual passers-by alike.

To everyone else who's eyes may have bled a bit due to my outburst, I apologize, a little.
    YEP, Rich is back on coffee, with one or two lumps of crack?
    Believe it or not not everybody is technically oriented, they just want to play a movie,
    and with net connected BLU players the difference really boils down to game playing.
    Anything else is redundant, you can do with a laptop.
    And the blu tooth remote is pretty stupid also, a friend of the non tech type was told by a salesman that a Harmony remote would work with a playstation.
    YOU CAN GET a USB adapter, sure, but that ties up your USB, integration into a
    unified HT with a single remote is still troublesome.
    Sony tried to be a leader with Blu-tooth, and a blu setup HT would be great, but they should have checked to see if anybody else was following.
    RICH, THE DOC'S GONNA BE PISSED when he finds out you stole his laptop, speaking of which.
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

Suspended
    This is just dumb.

Believe it or not not everybody is technically oriented, they just want to play a movie,
    and with net connected BLU players the difference really boils down to game playing.
    And the blu tooth remote is pretty stupid also, a friend of the non tech type was told by a salesman that a Harmony remote would work with a playstation.
    Sony tried to be a leader with Blu-tooth, and a blu setup HT would be great, but they should have checked to see if anybody else was following.
    RICH, THE DOC'S GONNA BE PISSED when he finds out you stole his laptop, speaking of which.
    You don't have to play any games on a PS/3. You can just slide your BD in and it starts to play. How much easier can it get?
    My PS/3 has 4 USB ports. Tying one up is really no big deal. My remote works just fine.
    Not sure why you are so anti PS/3. It's a great option that should at least be explored before being easily dismissed as "just being for gamers". That's a little too narrow minded for me.

Making a mountain out of a mole hill. Pix, go back to your Vizio, you have no experience with he PS3, and that invalidates any opinion you have on the issue.

Bluetooth was perfect for the PS3, as it allows the player to be put out of sight, and still work with a remote. IR signals cannot do that, which is why they went Bluetooth. With four USB connections, having one tied up is no problem. You have two for a keyboard and mouse, and a third for your 3D glasses.

Most net connected Bluray players are confined to set widgets that only allow them to access those sites. Netflix, Blockbuster, Facebook(who needs that in AV) and youTube. The PS3 supports those and perhaps hundreds more streaming sites out there. Hulu is not supported on other Bluray players, and neither are other sites that require a DNLA device for streaming.

Without owning a PS3, you are unqualified to discuss the merits or drawbacks of it versus a standard Blu ray player.
    Sir Terrence

Oppo BDP-103D
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    THX Style Baffle wall

...because he didnt play games and didnt like the compromises , basically just wanted a player to load a disc into.
    It's a shame the wife's WII doesn't have the same flexibility. She enjoys the WII-Fit programs and I enjoy some of the games as well. It would have been very convenient for that to be Blu-Ray compatible as well (installed on a 32" Vizio in a spare bedroom).

rw

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Terrence the Terrible
    Making a mountain out of a mole hill. Pix, go back to your Vizio, you have no experience with he PS3, and that invalidates any opinion you have on the issue.

Bluetooth was perfect for the PS3, as it allows the player to be put out of sight, and still work with a remote. IR signals cannot do that, which is why they went Bluetooth. With four USB connections, having one tied up is no problem. You have two for a keyboard and mouse, and a third for your 3D glasses.

Most net connected Bluray players are confined to set widgets that only allow them to access those sites. Netflix, Blockbuster, Facebook(who needs that in AV) and youTube. The PS3 supports those and perhaps hundreds more streaming sites out there. Hulu is not supported on other Bluray players, and neither are other sites that require a DNLA device for streaming.

Without owning a PS3, you are unqualified to discuss the merits or drawbacks of it versus a standard Blu ray player.
    pix isn't qualified to discuss much of anything on this entire website (Off-Topic section included); wouldn't last a day on the AVS, Audioholics, Home Theater Shack forums, but, here he is... and here we are.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information