Forum Regular

Yamaha RX-V467 vs. Denon AVR 591

I'm looking at HDMI receivers to replace my nearly 10 year old Yamaha RX-V520 5.1 receiver (80wx5 20hz to 20khz). Of prime importance is the sound quality, but a few features are really desireable, like HDMI standby pass through and speaker calibration. I'm running 5.1 and don't see going 7.1 any time soon.

For the immediate future, I'll have my Oppo DV-970 HD upconverting DVD/SACD player connected (using analog audio outputs currently) and the cable box and maybe my old Kenwood DP990SG beast of a CD player (may simplify and just use the Oppo). In the future, I'll probably add a Blu-Ray player, and maybe a gaming system and/or a streaming device (Apple TV?). Actually, I'll have my turntable connected too. The receiver will be driving Klipsch Reference series speaker all around (RF-25 fronts), so more power isn't really an issue.

I almost pulled the trigger on a Denon AVR-391 recently, but, while a great price, it just seemed to be missing too many key features. So now I'm looking at the Yamaha RX-V 467 and the Denon AVR-591. The Yamaha fits better into my budget but the Denon gets great reviews as well. Which one of these better fits my needs? Is there something else I should be looking at? Thanks in advance for your wisdom!

mb

I used to be a manager of a better audio shop in the 90's and we sold both Yamaha and Denon and really both units were very good for home theater receivers and had good features and quality. As far as power output they both are pretty close as output power vs ratings. If you are not going to add an outboard amplifier and also with the bright character and sensitivity the denon might have a slight edge in the treble since Denons seem to have a slightly smoother treble response and with Klipsch speakers this will be a lot more noticeable than with other speakers. Now Yamaha has a new Aventage lineup that I have not had a chance to audition so I can not tell you if they are different from the Yamaha that I know. As far as reliability goes and overall use either one should work fine.

Marantz SR5008(HT)
    Nu Force P8 Preamp (2 channel)
    Pass Labs X150.5(2 channel)
    Adcom 545 mk2 power amp(rear channel amp)
    Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S Mains Speakers
    Dayton 8" HO custom sealed subwoofer(2 channel)
    Yamaha NS-c444 center channel
    Emotiva ERD-1 surround speakers
    JBL e250p subwoofer highly modified
    Samsung 46" LED TV
    OPPO BDP-83 blue ray/multi format player
    ps-audio NuWave dac (2 channel)
    Dell I660 music server running fidelizer windows 8 audio optimizer
    PS Audio Quintet power center

Thread Information