Blu-ray and HD DVD Again

For what it's worth, and it might be worth a lot, Samsung apparently has plans for a dual-format deck, and Toshiba, of all companies, has made rumblings of doing so as well. If the single format decks hold to the projected price of $850 or so, these first dual decks, if they aren't red herrings, will certainly not cost less than $1000. I owe this news to The Perfect Vision.

AR Newbie Registered Member
    Even after HD-DVD and Blu-ray discs are released there will not be many of them sold until the following conditions are met

1. Manufacturers make players that will play both formats and offer these units at a reasonable price.

2. The price of HDTV's comes down significantly.

3. The number of titles on these formats grows.

NO matter how great they tell the general public these new dvd's look they're not going to take off until they are made cost effective and easy to use.

So we probably won't be seeing these formats become mainstream for at least 3-4 years IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Chief Wiggum
    Even after HD-DVD and Blu-ray discs are released there will not be many of them sold until the following conditions are met

1. Manufacturers make players that will play both formats and offer these units at a reasonable price.

2. The price of HDTV's comes down significantly.

3. The number of titles on these formats grows.

NO matter how great they tell the general public these new dvd's look they're not going to take off until they are made cost effective and easy to use.

So we probably won't be seeing these formats become mainstream for at least 3-4 years IMO.
    with the projecton that these units will be availible for consumer use this spring (cross your fingers), I don't think that it will take 3-4 years before they catch on. With the pace that technology is currently moving, I would put money on the line that next Christmas, they will be the hottest addition to any HDTV. Who knows, maybe both formats will live together peacefully as both camps parade around touting theirs as best (kinda like LCD and DLP projection). Will one be superior and have more success? More than likely. Kinda like how PS2 has outsold Xbox 2-1. As per the price of HDTV's comming down, have you looked at a flyer recently???? I mean, you can get a 51" CRT RP for under a grand! Hell, thats cheaper than a 36" non-HD tube! I don't know how much lower they have to go to be afordable. Its like saying the price of new cars has to come down as you look at Caddies- meanwhile ignoring the fact that you can get a Chevy Aveo for $13,000. The deals on HDTV's are there, and you would be smoking crack to say that CRT RP looks inferior to the LCD's and DLP's when you're watching a movie with the lights turned off (or down).

But, hey thats only my 2 cents.

Thread Information