Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Suspended
    Will do L.J.

Did I read on PSN at your avatar where you were going on vacation again? Couple days later it said: AAAAAAAHHHHHHH.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich-n-Texas
    Will do L.J.

Did I read on PSN at your avatar where you were going on vacation again? Couple days later it said: AAAAAAAHHHHHHH.
    Had a fight with some family members and I was pissed. I'm all better now

Hey LJ,

How's it going? Sorry that I couldn't write more the other day. I was in the middle of a race and no one would wait for me.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Suspended
    Finish MGS4 yet L.J.?

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    HMMmmm... Very interesting. I've saved that link now. Tanx.
    Forgot to mention... that was the Parts Express price. Their part number is 248-599.

Cool. Tanx again.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Suspended
    Ya know I haven't seen much of kex-o-matic recently. Hope he didn't slip on a hockey puck and land on his laptop!

Looks like you've done a great job with working around that huge frequency cancellation. As LJ said, just boost the levels so that they're about 4 db higher than the mains, and you'll have a very high impact home theater experience. The whole point of doing the equalization is to eliminate the big peaks and valleys, and allow you to more accurately set the levels. With an unequalized sub, the wideband SPL meter reading will often be skewed by the peaks or cancellations. In the worst cases (like mine before installing the BFD), you wind up with anemic bass accompanied by occasional ringing notes that rattle your head. With the flatter response curve, you get fuller and tighter bass that's free from boominess.
    Wooch's Home Theater 2.0 (Pics)
    Panasonic VIERA TH-C50FD18 50" 1080p
    Paradigm Reference Studio 40, CC, and 20 v.2
    Adire Audio Rava (EQ: Behringer Feedback Destroyer DSP1124)
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Dual CS5000 (Ortofon OM30 Super)
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony Playstation 3 (MediaLink OS X Server)
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

The Neverending DVD/BD Collection

Subwoofer Setup and Parametric EQ Results *Dead Link*

Suspended
    Wooch, do you think that overall my sub level is too low? Right now I'm watching Roger Water's "In The Flesh" and after setting it's level using the receiver's pink noise tones; the sub's amp is turned all the way up, I'm not hearing bass like I was hearing before setting up the BFD.

I have Master and Commander and I'm going to watch it on Saturday, so I expect the LFE response will be better, but right now with "In the Flesh", with a DD soundtrack, I'm a bit dissapointed.

Wooch, do you think that overall my sub level is too low? Right now I'm watching Roger Water's "In The Flesh" and after setting it's level using the receiver's pink noise tones; the sub's amp is turned all the way up, I'm not hearing bass like I was hearing before setting up the BFD.

I have Master and Commander and I'm going to watch it on Saturday, so I expect the LFE response will be better, but right now with "In the Flesh", with a DD soundtrack, I'm a bit dissapointed.
    Of course you're not hearing bass like you used to, because you don't want to hear the same bass as before. You want BETTER bass, and a flat-EQ'd signal sounds a lot better.

If you haven't adjusted the overall level since measuring out that plot graph, then you definitely need to adjust it upward. If your amp has a two-channel L/R input, then you should get a line splitter and use it to split the subwoofer signal and use both the L and R input. That kind of signal coupling on a two-channel sub input will increase the output by 6 db.

Also, on the back of the BFD, there's a output switch that alters the output by 14 db. Generally, the recommendation is to leave the button pushed in (-10 db), but if you're already pushing the amp to max, then you might want to try it in the "studio" setting (+4 db).

You should also use your receiver to boost the subwoofer output. The overall level should be about 4 db higher than the mains, and with EQ'd bass, that will give you plenty of low end.
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Woochifer
    Of course you're not hearing bass like you used to, because you don't want to hear the same bass as before. You want BETTER bass, and a flat-EQ'd signal sounds a lot better.
    Understood. I should've remembered that from previous BFD discussions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wooch
    If you haven't adjusted the overall level since measuring out that plot graph, then you definitely need to adjust it upward. If your amp has a two-channel L/R input, then you should get a line splitter and use it to split the subwoofer signal and use both the L and R input. That kind of signal coupling on a two-channel sub input will increase the output by 6 db.
    Yes it does and yes I do. I was paying attention during that lesson.

I'll plot my latest graph with my sub's level at max later, but I have a new problem. After running the frequency sweep with the sub at max, I heard what I thought was the fan on the FiOS STB humming... nope. I did some troubleshooting including plugging the sub into a different outlet as well as plugging the BFD into another outlet, but each time when I turned the volume up on the sub, the hum was still present. When I put the BFD in "Bypass" the level decreased somewhat, but it wasn't until I removed the cables from the BFD and connected them together with an adapter, thus physically bypassing it, that the hum stopped. I think I've got a ground loop so next step is to work on eliminating that problem.

Also, on the back of the BFD, there's a output switch that alters the output by 14 db. Generally, the recommendation is to leave the button pushed in (-10 db), but if you're already pushing the amp to max, then you might want to try it in the "studio" setting (+4 db).
    Okay, but I'll first try your suggestion below after I work on my hummmmmmmm.

You should also use your receiver to boost the subwoofer output. The overall level should be about 4 db higher than the mains, and with EQ'd bass, that will give you plenty of low end.
    For some reason I thought that adjusting the sub level at the receiver would exagerate the peaks and nulls. Guess not.

Yeah that smooth bass takes a couple of days to get use too.

Wooch said it perfectly. I couldn't set my level correctly in the past due to the huge peaks I had. I was shocked at how much I could increase the sub's volume after it was EQ'd. The smooth bass blends well with the rest of your system and you should have no clue that the bass is coming from your sub. Basically, I'm saying that your sub should be invisible once your all finished.

Rich,

Are you runing the AVR's "pink noise" before or after turning your sub up? You should have the sub set below half power when runing the set-up, and then turn it up as needed after.

Suspended
    I ran the pink noise test after setting up the filters. The level at the sub was at max and I was still 2dB lower than all other speakers that were at 70dB SPL (Dolby recommendation).

To get 70dB on all speakers I set the receiver volume to -5dB reference. When running the sub EQ test tones, I used -18dB receiver reference since that's about the level I was at when I was playing a movie to get the sub's output to just this side of clipping when the BFD was in bypass. Yes, the amp gets turned off when I'm running the sub's test tones, which BTW reside on the PS3 now.

Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    Hey LJ,

How's it going? Sorry that I couldn't write more the other day. I was in the middle of a race and no one would wait for me.
    Hey what's up GM? Sorry I missed this. Everything is going great with me. I'm losing weight, my marriage has hit a new level, I have a killer sound system and my 10 year old is an honor roll student I gotta say that I'm happy and I'm enjoying life right now.

Now if I could only get my 3 year old to use the freakin' toilet

Suspended
    This is what someone I work with recommended I use for my ground loop problem:
    http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...14&tab=summary

I should plug this thing in-line between the BFD and the sub. The problem I have is I'm introducing more connection points including another adapter since both in & out are male ends, and I'm also losing shielding due to those scrawny wires. The other thing, I'll only be using one side (i.e. red to red) so I wonder what issues might occur with the other two unterminated connectors.

Quote Originally Posted by L.J.
    Hey what's up GM? Sorry I missed this. Everything is going great with me. I'm losing weight, my marriage has hit a new level, I have a killer sound system and my 10 year old is an honor roll student I gotta say that I'm happy and I'm enjoying life right now.
    Glad to hear that things are going well.

Quote Originally Posted by L.J.
    Now if I could only get my 3 year old to use the freakin' toilet
    Well, my (almost) two-year old has taken to using her potty as a hat! AND she thinks it's funny when she tries putting her "hat" on daddy's head. Fortunately, she hasn't figured out how to use the potty for its intended purpose, so we've had no accidents ... so far!
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

Quote Originally Posted by Woochifer
    Glad to hear that things are going well.

Well, my (almost) two-year old has taken to using her potty as a hat! AND she thinks it's funny when she tries putting her "hat" on daddy's head. Fortunately, she hasn't figured out how to use the potty for its intended purpose, so we've had no accidents ... so far!
    Two? TWO!? It's been two years already? Time sure is picking up steam.

Suspended
    YO! What about ME?!?!?! WTF???

Should I buy that RS thingy or not?

YO! What about ME?!?!?! WTF???

Should I buy that RS thingy or not?

Well Rich, if you gone thru all the basic steps to get rid of this hum then you may not have any choice. At that price, I would give it a try.
    Back in my day, we had nine planets.

Suspended
    The cheapest and easiest fix would be to just use a cheater plug, but that's against the rules in my house. At HomeTheaterShack they recommend one that costs $59 bucks and another one that's like $40... no thanks.

Let us know what you do Rich.....lol. Being a test dummy is pretty hard but we appreciate your efforts

Suspended
    Being a test dummy isn't hard, it's (kind of) expensive.

BTW, I'm expecting my Behringer sound card today.

Being a test dummy isn't hard, it's (kind of) expensive.

BTW, I'm expecting my Behringer sound card today.
    It's a good thing you are rich.

Maybe he is writing a very long post.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread Information