Bestbuy still offer a healthy selections of LP players.

That is amazing considering that they don't offer any stand alone [single] CD players. There must be alot of record spinners out there for the Bestbuy to still offer such a wider selections of LP players (seven to be exact).

I have more LPs than CDs in my collection which was collected over the years (from late 70's), and a LP player that is collecting dust. CD's sound is good enough for me, and hopefully new formats such as DVD-A/SACD will be better...that is when I get on their band wagon

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....000%2Bcat03030

Those all seem like DJ turntables, though...execpt for the 2 cheapo ones which are not for the vinyl enthusiast.

J&R actually has a great selection of turntables, the Thorens TD170 is actually still at the top of my list and they have the best price I've found on it. They have all the models that Best Buy has, along with some higher end stuff from Thorens and Music Hall.

http://www.jr.com/JRSectionView.proc...11627&Ne=10000

Thanks for the link N. Abstentia.

I always wanted to ask this question:what make an LP player a DJ turntable?

If it's a Gemini or Numark it's probably a DJ turntable

Plus the direct drive gives it away, 'audiophile' turntables will be belt drive and have a nice thick wood plinth..generally speaking of course. DJ turntables also use different style cartridges made for scratching and abuse.

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey
    Thanks for the link N. Abstentia.

I always wanted to ask this question:what make an LP player a DJ turntable?
    Pretty much an S-shaped tonearm, direct drive, heavy duty isolation feet, and a very large range on the pitch control. The Technics SL-1200 is the benchmark for DJ decks (and the Numark, Gemini, and Stanton decks are all trying to imitate the Technics, which can sell for upwards of $600 brand new) and will probably be the last turntable standing in 1,000 years, give or take a few centuries, long after all the digital formats of today have gone by the wayside..

Thanks guys for info.

It will be interesting to know how many LP players are sold per year given that [local] large music stores such as Bestbuy/circuitcity do not carry any LP albums. LP players are not as finicky as CD players and last much longer. Just change the belt and cartridge once a while, and it will be like new

Thanks guys for info.

It will be interesting to know how many LP players are sold per year given that [local] large music stores such as Bestbuy/circuitcity do not carry any LP albums. LP players are not as finicky as CD players and last much longer. Just change the belt and cartridge once a while, and it will be like new
    Uh, how long have you owned a turntable? (BTW, NOBODY calls them LP players!) Believe me, turntables can be MUCH fussier to deal with than CD players! If you swap out the cartridges, then you have to deal with the tonearm counterbalancing, VTA, overhang, anti-skating, and tracking force. With normal usage, a stylus will typically wear out in 1-2 years, so if you're using a MC cartridge, you have to deal with those issues every time a needle wears out. With a MM cartridge, you swap out the stylus assembly, but if you ever want to upgrade, then you have to swap out the entire cartridge body. Also, you need to periodically check the pitch accuracy, since it will vary with the age of the belt and sometimes other factors.

LPs can be hard to find at chain appliance/audio/video/music superstores, but what self-respecting vinyl junkie would want to shop at those places anyway? With the turntables that BB sells, they are mostly geared to the DJ market. And the thing about the DJ market is that they are entirely geared towards 12" singles suitable for beat matching and mixing, which you also won't find at the chain superstores (you really need to shop at more places than BB and CC, if you're looking for a more serious selection of music).

Go to independent and deep catalog chain music stores (like Tower, HMV, or Virgin), and you will find a section with 12" singles, and very often it's larger than the LP section. The DJ market is the one music niche where vinyl is the dominant format. A lot of the music that makes up the DJ market (hip hop, nujazz, house, trip-hop, electronica, etc.) you can't find on CD, or you'll have to wait months and hope that it shows up on a compilation (and even then, it will likely show up on a mix track that was done with turntables).

Quote Originally Posted by Woochifer
    Believe me, turntables can be MUCH fussier to deal with than CD players!

That is true. But if cd player stop playing, then it is either repair shop or in trash. A LP player (every body I know call it LP player ) usually can last a life time as long as the motor holds out, and belt is periodically changed. The tune up you mentioned such as tonearm counterbalancing, overhang, anti-skating and tracking force can be usually be adjusted by the owner with right literature.

The only [user] adjustment my turntable have (which is totally manual) is tone arm counterbalancing. And the cartridge is plug-and-play type where one would plug in the new cartridge, and we are back in business.

The reason I am saying LP albums might be a little scarce (expect may be on-line) is that we had two large local music stores that used to carry large selections of new and used LPs. But now, one is out of business, and the other one don't carry LPs any more

Forum Regular
    A LP player (every body I know call it LP player )
    ROTFL!

Sorry, couldn't help it. In my 25 years dealing with audio, I have NEVER heard them called "LP players". Maybe I'm just too American.

All in good fun,
    James

PS: Wait, I noticed you have "Smokey..the only American hero with his own zip code! (20252)." in your siganture. Hmmm, maybe I'm too Yankee American. lol

Quote Originally Posted by hifimaster
    ROTFL!

Sorry, couldn't help it. In my 25 years dealing with audio, I have NEVER heard them called "LP players". Maybe I'm just too American.

PS: Wait, I noticed you have "Smokey..the only American hero with his own zip code! (20252)." in your siganture. Hmmm, maybe I'm too Yankee American. lol
    Yes, you are "too" Yankee American

If you ever travel down to deep south, you will hear words and terms you have never heard before. LP player might be one of them

Thread Information