Forum Regular

Further Subwoofer Questions & Recommendations

To follow-up & clarify on some of my other questions on this topic, I basically am looking to replace my second subwoofer (Acoustic Research ARS108 120 Watts 8" Sub) in my bedroom & I'm looking for a sub that will give deep sound but not huge vibrations , as I don't want my walls to shake or boom. My regular Orb Audio Supereight Sub which I use in my open living room is great & is around 400 Watts or so but is too loud in a closed confined medium sized room. The Acoustic Research Sub actually is fine for DVDS & CD's as its not an overbearing sound & does not cause my walls to shake or anything, but when I play CD's, I'd like a better sub sound. I live in an apartment with the manager below which is why I definately do not want this sub to make the floor shake.

Someone suggested Mirage Omni & it sounded good till I read about it being able to make the walls shake. Well I don't want the walls to shake. Maybe all subs can make the walls shake so I'm over reacting.

In short if anyone knows of any 8" subs that give a nice, smooth, deep bass but aren't overbearing & powerful for both CD's & DVDs, please make me any recommendations.
    My receiver is 735 watts. Thanks for any input.

You've got a 735 watt receiver?

you're kiddin', right? Didn't you learn anything while posting here over the last few years under at least two different monikers?

Forum Regular
    Ed
    Just turn the level down or the volumn on the sub until it gives you what you want.At what level does your reciever crossover your sub at?

bill

Every Sunday, Ken Cranes has an ad insert in the LA Times, advertising a Velodyne for $498. I think it's an 8-inch. Might be right up your alley, as it were.

Forum Regular
    The problem with my regular subwoofer when I tried to use it in the closed room (I actually did buy a second one which I still resold) was when I tried to lower the voluume, it just made the whole thing ineffective & at a normal volume, it was awful with the room acoustics (it's great in an open area though). The crossover for Denons I believe is 80 for the sub.

Forum Regular
    Yeah I forgot about my MarkW screen name which I use too which I named after my hero MarkyMark & sometimes I respond to my own alter ego posts.

Forum Regular
    Ed
    If your reciever is set at 80 then you have a midbass problem because your reciever sends everything below 80 to your sub as it should,but your fronts
    dont kick in till 120 so everything in the freuency range from 80 to 120 is being lost.I don't know if your reciever has an adjustable crossover or not but if it is you should change it to 120.

bill

Forum Regular

I thought the Crossovers on Denon Receivers Was 80

Now I'm a bit confused. I thought the crossover on all Denon receivers was 80. Can someone correct me on this if I am wrong.

Ever consider Bass Shakers?

Sounds like they were made for your situation.

Put em on the bed and don't disturb the folks next door.

Forum Regular
    There seems to be alot of people that seem to like the Sony Sa-wm250. I know you discounted using a Mirage, but I would reconsider that. My brother has the S-12. It is a great sub because of its fine tight bass definition, its quality sub-amp built in the unit and their design of the sub-woofer driver itself. However the S-12 would be too big for what you want to do, so I would consider the S-8. If it sounds anything like the S-12 in a smaller package it would do you good. The S-8 has a filter switch that bypasses the internal speaker crossover making your receiver crossover the dominant crossover, a major plus.

Quote Originally Posted by EdwardGein

My receiver is 735 watts. Thanks for any input.
    That means you need a subwoofer with 1500 watts. It takes twice as much power to drive a subwoofer. Anything less than that will sound like crap.

Forum Regular

Is NAbsentia Right (For Once)?

Assuming my Denon 3801 Receiver is 735 Watts total (105 per channel) is NAbsentia correct in saying you need a sub twice that wattage? I never heard that one before. Maybe he's still hitting the crack or maybe, God forbid, he's right?

Forum Regular
    ed

you are right,i checked the owners manual for your reciever and the crossover is set at 80.Many recievers have adjustable crossovers and this will let you fix problems with speakers with little bass output.Try finding a better location for the sub.Location is very important for a sub,move it around and see what happens.

bill

The bass shakers on the bed are a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by yogo
    Sounds like they were made for your situation.

Put em on the bed and don't disturb the folks next door.
    They'll improve his sex life immensely. ...even moreso should he ever get a partner.

Forum Regular
    Well it's been hard to get a partner since we broke up MarkW, you sweet thing you. Kiss Kiss

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Assuming my Denon 3801 Receiver is 735 Watts total (105 per channel) is NAbsentia correct in saying you need a sub twice that wattage? I never heard that one before. Maybe he's still hitting the crack or maybe, God forbid, he's right?
    LOL. He's pretty funny, but no, you don't need double the wattage. Some of the best subs I've ever heard have less than 300 watts. High wattage subs are usually used to compensate for either the low impedance of the woofer, which therefore needs high current. Especially in the class D, digital amps etc that can be quite poor at delivering strong bursts of current into low impedance. Or, high wattage subs are used to compensate for low sensitivity woofers that need many times more watts to do the same job a more sensitive woofer can do. This is especially true in car audio, but is also common in a lot of servo sub designs and crazy high excursion woofer subs.

If you're using this in your bedroom I doubt you'll be looking for even 80 dB SPL levels so probabaly any sub with 50 watts or more has enough power for you.

I love hittin da crack myself. PREPARE FOR MOUNTING !!!!!! If I were to buy a new sub I would take a look at the Paradigm's. Very high quality build and tight sound...check out the signature series models.
    In total pursuit of the velvet lining.

My God. You don't even know enough about this stuff to know when someone is yanking your chain.

And please stop saying your receiver is 735 watts total. You're using probably 10 watts per channel MAX since you can't even crank it up in your apartment. Theres no way you'll ever get 735 watts out of that receiver even on it's best day no matter how far you turn the volume knob. Haven't you ever wondered why a 7x100 standalone amp is 3 times as big, weighs twice as much, has a power supply 4 times bigger, and pulls twice as much current?

Well, at least you're not buying $1000 CD players that cost more than your entire system! Now THAT would be a total......what? He did what?

Nevermind.
    Last edited by N. Abstentia; 05-28-2006 at 06:22 AM.

Big science. Hallelujah. noddin0ff's Avatar
    Has anyone ever tried to cut out the frequencies that resonate through the floor? Maybe you wouldn't miss them?

Forum Regular
    How do you cut out the frequencies & what are the frequencies to cut? Looks like I'm going to try a Miller & Kreisel (M &K) K-9 Subwoofer which they promote on their website as being perfect for an apartment in regards to not ticking off neighbors which oddly enough is manufactured right near where I live. It looks like I can get a good price on these used on Ebay. My only worry is the drivers are not magnetically shielded but my TV is around 3' away.

BooBs are elitist jerks shokhead's Avatar
    I think what paul said about the deal at KC is a good buy but bass and LFE is bass and LFE. Its going to go right through the wall to the people next door. Low volume helps but then what good it it. I'm not big on a sub in an apart so i'd rather just upgrade my mains and go without a sub.
    Look & Listen

Forum Regular
    The powerful one in the open living room which is on about 2" of heavy duty isolation pads surpisingly has never caused any problem other then when I watched a DVD of Creams Reunion tour & Jack Bruce's bass apparently was heard major league below. When I tried this sub in the bedroom it just sounded awful with the acoustics in a closed in area & like you said what good is it if the volume is too low. The sub I have been using in ths room, Acoustic Research ARS 108, sounds OK for DVDs & TV but is a bit lacking for CD's but on the positive side, apparently has never annoyed my downstairs neighbor who is also the building manager. I've never gotten any complaints from the apartment above & there are not really any apartments right next to mine, so that hasn't been a problem. Hopefully the M & K sub will improve on my existing sub for CDs & not piss off the apartment below.
    I like the fact that they specifically promote this sub to not annoy neighbors in apartments.
    When push comes to sub, LOL, I'd rather have my existing sub then no sub at all. I envy people who have their own house & even condos. I wasn't about to pay $325,000 for an 850 foot condo here, which with the current interest rate, property tax, homeowners fee, would have been $2700 a month.

BooBs are elitist jerks shokhead's Avatar
    But at 850ft,you would need much of a sub. LOL
    Look & Listen

Hopefully the M & K sub will improve on my existing sub for CDs & not piss off the apartment below.
    I like the fact that they specifically promote this sub to not annoy neighbors in apartments.
    Well, it's all relative. That sub is not really designed not to annoy neighbors...it just will annoy them less than their bigger subs because it it not nearly as loud and does not go nearly as deep. It's just a standard 8" sub. Compared to one of their dual 12" models, of course it won't annoy the neighbors as much.

But as far as sound quality, you'll probably like it. Personally I don't like M&K subs, which means you probably will.

Thread Information