Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smokey
    Heheheh.... I see Sir TT getting to you

If you enjoy your TV, that is all that matters.
    Kind of arrogant and self centered to think it was all about him. The problem is that he is too cheap to pay for televisions that perform better. Don't hate me because your reach is so low. It just so happens that pix has owned a third tier set, and now a second tier set.

At least he is improving, which isn't saying much..........
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

Forum Regular Jack in Wilmington's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Terrence the Terrible
    Kind of arrogant and self centered to think it was all about him. The problem is that he is too cheap to pay for televisions that perform better. Don't hate me because your reach is so low. It just so happens that pix has owned a third tier set, and now a second tier set.

At least he is improving, which isn't saying much..........
    TT, he may have a bigger problem than being to cheap. He may actually think the LG looks better than the Samsungs and Sonys and that what really bothers him. I'm all for "Buy What You Can Afford", but then don't go around and tell people that it's the best on the market. There are worse things in this world than looking cheap, looking stupid is one of them.
    2 Channel System
    Dynaudio Contour 1.8 Mk II
    Pass Labs X150.5 (Amp)
    Cary SLP-03 (Preamp)
    Music Hall MMF 5.1 (TT)
    Goldring 1012GX (Cart.)
    Pro-ject SE II (Phono Box)
    Rotel RCD-1072 (CD Player)
    Bryston BDA-1 ( DAC )
    Sennheiser HD-600 (Headphones)
    Musical Fidelity Xcan V3 (Headphone Amp) _

HT System
    Usher X-719 (Mains)
    Usher X-616 (Center)
    Usher S-520 (Surrounds)
    Rel T2 (Subwoofer)
    Anthem MCA20 (Amp)
    Yamaha RX-A830 (Receiver)
    Panasonic TH-46PZ85U (Plasma TV)
    Denon DBT-1713UD (BluRay/SACD)

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Jack in Wilmington
    TT, he may have a bigger problem than being to cheap. He may actually think the LG looks better than the Samsungs and Sonys and that what really bothers him. I'm all for "Buy What You Can Afford", but then don't go around and tell people that it's the best on the market. There are worse things in this world than looking cheap, looking stupid is one of them.
    "buy what you can afford" eh? I could have bought a Samsung, a Sony, you name it.
    Get off of your high horse. I had a 42" 1080p set that, despite TALKYS PROTESTATIONS TO THE CONTRARY was actually a very nice set. Not the best but great for the price.
    I still have a 60hz 1080p, the only reason, and I REPEAT ...the only reason I bought
    the LG was as an interim set, I REALLY THINK ITS AN EXCELLENT PICTURE.
    There is no "third", "second", or even "first" type of TV, thats just talky the troll making stuff up.
    Try to tell anybody in the industry that LG is "second tier" and they will laugh at you.
    Different brands of TV handle pictures in different ways. The LG is very good in the way it handles color. TALKY slams it because of his insecurities, hes' had his "Kuro"
    for awhile, its starting to dim a bit, and he knows he paid top dollar for second rate
    plasma crap. Bugs him, I guess.
    What a very sad and unhappy man, which is easy to tell by reading his posts.
    At first they come off as arrogant, but after awhile you see the bitterness in them.
    Sad, really.
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

Forum Regular
    Hello and thank you for your clinical contribution Sir Terrance the Terrible.
    No hard feelings, after all, as one would rather be forewarned before opening the cheque book. Information is what all this forum is about.
    As everybody seems to be playing the numbers game, I quoted the publicized 0.5 ms response time...... and as for the perfect pixel and perfect motion software, NO, they are NOT PERFECT, it is the term Philips applies to the software used to distinguish between their flagship and other lower end TVs. So rest easy, NOBODY has the PERFECT everything yet!!!
    Also, please note, I have as yet to find a 3D review of any Philips TV, so was hoping for somebody to point me in the right direction. On the other hand, there seem to be enough reviews of other brands for a person to make an informed choice.
    OK, the reviews give us an insight to tests most of us don´t have the time nor resources.

Quote Originally Posted by pixelthis
    "buy what you can afford" eh? I could have bought a Samsung, a Sony, you name it.
    Get off of your high horse. I had a 42" 1080p set that, despite TALKYS PROTESTATIONS TO THE CONTRARY was actually a very nice set. Not the best but great for the price.
    I still have a 60hz 1080p, the only reason, and I REPEAT ...the only reason I bought
    the LG was as an interim set, I REALLY THINK ITS AN EXCELLENT PICTURE.
    There is no "third", "second", or even "first" type of TV, thats just talky the troll making stuff up.
    Pix, you are the only idiot that makes his equipment an extension of himself. I think it has an excellent picture is meaningless if you don't calibrate your set, and you have admitted yourself that you don't.

Secondly, Pix there has been tiered manufacturing of televisions for years, and your denial is not going to change that one bit. Both Wooch and I have posted link after link that supports that fact.

Try to tell anybody in the industry that LG is "second tier" and they will laugh at you.
    Different brands of TV handle pictures in different ways. The LG is very good in the way it handles color.
    Everyone knows that LG is a second tier manufacturer, you know as well, but you are in the deepest part of denial a person can be(almost close to drowning in it as a matter of fact).

TALKY slams it because of his insecurities, hes' had his "Kuro"
    for awhile, its starting to dim a bit, and he knows he paid top dollar for second rate
    plasma crap. Bugs him, I guess.
    My insecurities, over your cheapness? I think not. It would be stupid(and typical of you) to come up with that lame excuse. Vizio is what it is, a third tier television supplier(that don't manufacturer anything). LG is a respectable second tier manufacturer(they do make their own sets).

I actually got my Kuro's at a substantial discount from Best Buy, so your top dollar claim is bogus. The Kuros has never been a second rate plasma, it was, and still is the plasma panel that all others are compared to. It's performance(even after being off the market for two years now) has only been bested by Panasonic 65" professional plasma(of which I also own). No other plasma has yet touched it for performance - especially in contrast, color, and black levels. So much for your uniformed(and ignorant)claims.

What a very sad and unhappy man, which is easy to tell by reading his posts.
    At first they come off as arrogant, but after awhile you see the bitterness in them.
    Sad, really.
    Pix, you need a mirror. I think this is what everyone else thinks about you, except substitute the word arrogant, for damn right pitiful, and it has you pegged.
    Sir Terrence

Oppo BDP-103D
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    THX Style Baffle wall

Cool

Pix, you are the only idiot that makes his equipment an extension of himself. I think it has an excellent picture is meaningless if you don't calibrate your set, and you have admitted yourself that you don't.
    Picture calibration is increasingly less necessary.
    My set has a great picture wizard, its not an ISF calibration but it does have their name.
    As computers take over more and more of a TV's functions calibration is becoming
    more and more irrelevant. My owners manual has a whole page of acknowledgements
    for various software gizmos used in my set, from Linux to you name it
    Of course plasmas still benefit from calibration, as they are basically a squished CRT,
    yesterdays tech.

Secondly, Pix there has been tiered manufacturing of televisions for years, and your denial is not going to change that one bit. Both Wooch and I have posted link after link that supports that fact.

Everyone knows that LG is a second tier manufacturer, you know as well, but you are in the deepest part of denial a person can be(almost close to drowning in it as a matter of fact).
    LET ME ask you, don't you think that for what I PAID for the LG that I COULDN'T BUY A samsung? Or a Panny?
    As a matter of fact SAMSUNG has several models that are somewhat cheaper
    than the set I bought.
    You throw this cheapskate crap around all of the time, and its just silly.
    I have had two Samsungs, BTW, and wasnt impressed with either, although the Tau
    30" was nice(you'd like it, a CRT) THE 47" was a piece of RPTV junk.
    Only one reason I got the LG, the picture is exelent.

My insecurities, over your cheapness? I think not. It would be stupid(and typical of you) to come up with that lame excuse. Vizio is what it is, a third tier television supplier(that don't manufacturer anything). LG is a respectable second tier manufacturer(they do make their own sets).
    If you understood anything about ISO and other quality control methods you would know that its increasingly irrelevant weather or not a manufacturer makes his own or outsources.
    I can name off the top of my head at least a dozen manufacturers that dont "manufacture"
    a bloomin thing, from Cambridge to Emotiva to, well, JUST ABOUT ANYBODY.
    Vizo is a great brand, especially for those on a budget, and since they are no. one,
    a lot more agree with me than you

I actually got my Kuro's at a substantial discount from Best Buy, so your top dollar claim is bogus. The Kuros has never been a second rate plasma, it was, and still is the plasma panel that all others are compared to. It's performance(even after being off the market for two years now) has only been bested by Panasonic 65" professional plasma(of which I also own). No other plasma has yet touched it for performance - especially in contrast, color, and black levels. So much for your uniformed(and ignorant)claims.
    For that matter no other plasma has touched even a cheap LCD panel in
    performance.

Pix, you need a mirror. I think this is what everyone else thinks about you, except substitute the word arrogant, for damn right pitiful, and it has you pegged.
    Well, you certainly know about "arrogant", and I THINK MOST would agree with me.
    One thing you need to know, I will enjoy my new set regardless of what the troll thinks.
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

Forum Regular Jack in Wilmington's Avatar
    My set has a great picture wizard, its not an ISF calibration but it does have their name.
    As computers take over more and more of a TV's functions calibration is becoming
    Of course plasmas still benefit from calibration, as they are basically a squished CRT,
    yesterdays tech.

LET ME ask you, don't you think that for what I PAID for the LG that I COULDN'T BUY A samsung? Or a Panny?
    than the set I bought.

If you understood anything about ISO and other quality control methods you would know that its increasingly irrelevant weather or not a manufacturer makes his own or outsources.
    I can name off the top of my head at least a dozen manufacturers that dont "manufacture"
    Vizo is a great brand, especially for those on a budget, and since they are no. one,

performance.

Well, you certainly know about "arrogant", and I THINK MOST would agree with me.
    One thing you need to know, I will enjoy my new set regardless of what the troll thinks.
    That's funny because I just read the December Consumer Reports and if you look at their 3D TV ratings the top 7 spots are all plasma sets. One is an LG, but it's still a plasma.
    2 Channel System
    Dynaudio Contour 1.8 Mk II
    Pass Labs X150.5 (Amp)
    Cary SLP-03 (Preamp)
    Music Hall MMF 5.1 (TT)
    Goldring 1012GX (Cart.)
    Pro-ject SE II (Phono Box)
    Rotel RCD-1072 (CD Player)
    Bryston BDA-1 ( DAC )
    Sennheiser HD-600 (Headphones)
    Musical Fidelity Xcan V3 (Headphone Amp) _

HT System
    Usher X-719 (Mains)
    Usher X-616 (Center)
    Usher S-520 (Surrounds)
    Rel T2 (Subwoofer)
    Anthem MCA20 (Amp)
    Yamaha RX-A830 (Receiver)
    Panasonic TH-46PZ85U (Plasma TV)
    Denon DBT-1713UD (BluRay/SACD)

yesterdays tech.
    Pixstupidhead, this is perhaps one of the most irresponsible post you have ever done on this website. You know good and damn well televisions do not come out of the box pre-calibrated, or anywhere close to it. ALL televisions need calibration, and it does not matter one damn bit that mini computers are doing all of the processing. Are you so stupid that you believe that television can automatically calibrate themselves? If you believe that, then you are far more stupid than even I thought.

Then why didn't you? You didn't because the LG was probably cheaper, and all you can afford.

than the set I bought.
    Right pix, and that extra eyeball you have in your head allows you to see better than most humans(sarcasm off)

If the picture was so "exelent", then why doesn't LG televisions do better when compared to the competition? I'll tell you why, LG is a second tier brand, just better than Vizio.

[quoteIf you understood anything about ISO and other quality control methods you would know that its increasingly irrelevant weather or not a manufacturer makes his own or outsources.[/quote]

BS. ISO is the very reason there is a tiered rating among manufacturers. ISO does not help one bit when you start off with a low quality panel, and then take leftover parts to make your television(as Vizio does). Manufacturers who design their own sets, and procure high quality parts designed to work with the panel from the onset make better set than those who choose low quality panel(or rejects) and procure what parts they can find on the market to make their sets. That is what seperates the Sony, Samusung, and Panasonics from the Sharp, LG's, and Vizio's.

First liar, Emotiva does make their own products. Jade Electronics makes Emotiva's products, and Dan Laufman owns both Jade electronics and Emotiva. Secondly Cambridge Audio does use Oppo platform, but at least they start from a very high quality platform and tweak it from there. That is not what Vizio, Colby, Insignia, or any of the other third tier television "sellers" do. They start with a cheap panel that would not pass mustard with the first tier manufacturers, and source parts from all over Asia to fit into those panel. None of this is designed to work together - hence why they do not perform that well. They trade performance for cost, and that is not what Emotiva or Cambridge audio do.

performance.
    Or really, talk to Panasonic and Samsung about that. Their plasma are much better than almost all of the LCD on the market, excluding Sony's and Samsungs own LCD.

Troll=A dumbass who makes idiotic posts in message boards newsgroups for the sole purpose of pissing people off, often lacking in intelligence.

Pix, that does not describe me, that describe you. I say enjoy your mediocre set. Let's face it, this is the best you can do. But don't think your mediocre set represent the state of the art in performance, because it quite frankly does not. Be real, at least to yourself anyway.
    Sir Terrence

Oppo BDP-103D
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    THX Style Baffle wall

Quote Originally Posted by Jack in Wilmington
    That's funny because I just read the December Consumer Reports and if you look at their 3D TV ratings the top 7 spots are all plasma sets. One is an LG, but it's still a plasma.
    In Pix world good performance does not count for anything. Its the price, Its the price, and that is it for him. Does not matter than the cheap television cannot stand up to the competition that well, its all about the price.
    Sir Terrence

Oppo BDP-103D
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    THX Style Baffle wall

Talking

In Pix world good performance does not count for anything. Its the price, Its the price, and that is it for him. Does not matter than the cheap television cannot stand up to the competition that well, its all about the price.
    keep repeating that slander over and over like some kind of mantra, thats all you're good for,
    is insults .
    OKAY GENIUS, my modest LG cost 800 tax and all, with an HDMI cable and a screen cleaning kit. Its an 1080p 60hz that does the 24p, and its 42" inches.
    So either refute that or shut up.
    I have never cared for Samsungs pic as much as Sony , and since I saw my first LG
    I HAVE BEEN IN LOVE WITH THE WAY THEY DO THEIR PICTURE.
    Having a choice, LG was my choice. I don't care if you like the picture or not,if you like something thats a good reason to stay away from it.
    As for picture, I GUESS WITH YOUR ANTIQUE tech, eitherconventional CRT or a squished
    CRT marketed as a "plasma", you would need regular calibration, as these set go out of
    spec as they age, every year they need adjustment.
    LCD is a lot more stable , and the ISF has put their name on a neat wizard that helps you adjust your picture. Its not an ISF calibration, but its close. And it gave the little nudge my set needed.
    Get with the future gramps.
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Nasir
    Hello and thank you for your clinical contribution Sir Terrance the Terrible.
    No hard feelings, after all, as one would rather be forewarned before opening the cheque book. Information is what all this forum is about.
    As everybody seems to be playing the numbers game, I quoted the publicized 0.5 ms response time...... and as for the perfect pixel and perfect motion software, NO, they are NOT PERFECT, it is the term Philips applies to the software used to distinguish between their flagship and other lower end TVs. So rest easy, NOBODY has the PERFECT everything yet!!!
    Also, please note, I have as yet to find a 3D review of any Philips TV, so was hoping for somebody to point me in the right direction. On the other hand, there seem to be enough reviews of other brands for a person to make an informed choice.
    OK, the reviews give us an insight to tests most of us don´t have the time nor resources.
    MOST manufacturers put little tweaks into their higher line sets. Mine has everything
    from LINUX to a "picture wizard" with the ISF name on it.
    Dont worry about those stuck in the analog past. A plasma is a bas**** second cousin
    to a CRT, with all of its attendant shortcomings. Even modest sets have a lot
    of software that helps keep a picture on the straight and narrow. Also an LCD doesn't degrade as it ages, not like plasma.
    Plasma, being phosper and electrode based, will change as these elements get older.
    One reason plasma , like CRT, is horse and buggy.
    And take all of the "tests" you read with a grain of salt, a lot has been invested into plasma,
    and the industry has a vested interest in keeping them moving.
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar
    OK, I think that will be enough of the personal attacks for this thread. If you guys want to call each other names please take it off this thread.
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio Classic 250. 500wpc into 4 ohms.
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,
    Marantz 6170 TT Shure M97e cart.
    Arcam Alpha 9 CD.- 24 bit dCS Ring DAC.
    Magnepan 3.6r speakers Oak/black,

keep repeating that slander over and over like some kind of mantra, thats all you're good for,
    is insults .
    OKAY GENIUS, my modest LG cost 800 tax and all, with an HDMI cable and a screen cleaning kit. Its an 1080p 60hz that does the 24p, and its 42" inches.
    So either refute that or shut up.
    I have never cared for Samsungs pic as much as Sony , and since I saw my first LG
    I HAVE BEEN IN LOVE WITH THE WAY THEY DO THEIR PICTURE.
    Having a choice, LG was my choice. I don't care if you like the picture or not,if you like something thats a good reason to stay away from it.
    As for picture, I GUESS WITH YOUR ANTIQUE tech, eitherconventional CRT or a squished
    CRT marketed as a "plasma", you would need regular calibration, as these set go out of
    spec as they age, every year they need adjustment.
    LCD is a lot more stable , and the ISF has put their name on a neat wizard that helps you adjust your picture. Its not an ISF calibration, but its close. And it gave the little nudge my set needed.
    Get with the future gramps.
    Live in your dream world cheapie. If you think LG is that great, then I am right, performance is not your bag, being cheap is.
    Sir Terrence

Oppo BDP-103D
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    THX Style Baffle wall

Cool

Live in your dream world cheapie. If you think LG is that great, then I am right, performance is not your bag, being cheap is.
    GETTING with it is my "bag", might want to try it sometime.
    PHOSPER based tech has a problem, in that (besides its other flaws) the tech has been
    taken about as far as you can go for reproducing color.
    Look at older shows from the sixties, a lot of blue, the system had a lot of trouble with red.
    Green was easy.
    EVEN TODAY a lot of sets "bloom" or have too much red, and only one kind and shade.
    WHAT I like about LG is the way they handle red, this means better browns, and better fleshtones. You don't like it., fine, but I think its nice. Also there are a lot of
    refinements that make this set easy and fun to use, nice graphics, built in manuel
    (about time), ISF picture wizard. And SD looks great also, although that could be the cable
    improving their service, the SD on this set is very good, which means great scaling.
    And as far as price goes, its increasingly irrelevant in a world where a 47" SONY
    is bundled with a Blue-ray for 999$.
    Last edited by Geoffcin; 12-28-2010 at 03:10 PM.
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

Forum Regular
    Televisioninfo.com web site which evaluate HDTVs regularly have chosen their HDTV pick of the year for 2010.

For 50 inch and higher they pick:

Sony Bravia XBR-52HX909 – $3,599.99
    The Sony Bravia XBR-52HX909 is just a really well-rounded HDTV. It got some impressive results on our performance tests, such as a high contrast ratio and accurate color performance. The TV can also do 3D, but it wasn't particularly great in that regard.

Runner up – Vizio XVT553SV – $1749.99
    The TV really didn't have any downsides, but the XBR-52HX909 had better online features and 3D capability. If you don't mind missing out on those features, though, the XVT553SV is a much more affordable purchase.

For 40 inch and above:

Samsung UN46C7100 – $1599.99
    Our pick for TV of the Year has to excel in a lot of different ways. It has to have a great picture, an interesting feature set, and not be grossly overpriced for what it offers.

Runner up – Panasonic TC-P42GT25 – $1429.99
    The Panasonic TC-P42GT25 was another great all-around 3D HDTV. While it's 3D performance was much better than what we saw on the UN46C7100, it's overall picture quality wasn't quite as good and Panasonic's online content is slightly lacking compared to Samsung's.

Runner up – Samsung LN40C630 – $697.99
    The Samsung LN40C630 has everything you'd want: great picture quality, an extensive line-up of online content, and a relatively low price given its size and feature set. The TV's only real downside: its dynamic backlight can't be completely shut off.

In 32 inch range:

Sony KDL-32EX700 – $699.88
    This TV gives you a very deep black level, a high overall contrast ratio, great color accuracy, and allows you to connect to the best selection of online content currently being offered.

Runner up- Vizio E320VL – $357.99
    The Vizio E320VL is the best value out of any HDTVs we've reviewed this year. Sure, it didn't have the best picture quality, and it wasn't even the least expensive. It did, however, offer the best picture quality for its price.

Runner up – LG 32LD350 – $407.99
    The 32LD350 has all the same benefits as the E320VL, only it costs just a bit more for a small jump in quality.

http://www.televisioninfo.com/conten...om-Selects.htm
    Lets compare the European Image and Sound Association (EISA) winners against the above:
    Best 3D LCD is the Sony Bravia KDL 52HX900 ( sold out at the stores, replaced by slightly cheaper LX900 models, with a choice of 1 of 3 BluRay packages as a promotional gift pack thrown in).
    Best 3D Plasma awarded to Panasonic TX-P50VT20.
    Best 3D solution: Samsung UE46C8000 plus HT C6930W Home Theater setup.
    Best Value LCD goes to LG 42LE5300 model.
    Best TV technology innovation from Sharp Quattron Red, Green, Blue and Yellow as the 4th colour for better golden colors.
    And the best LCD out here: crowns the controversial Philips 46PFL9705 model.
    The Philips is controversial in the sense that I have come across 2 reviews, one of which points the accusing finger as being the WORST 3D TV with a hefty price tag, while the other practically adorns it with the BEST 3D TV, just falling short of the Plasmas!!

As for the prices, the figures are comparable but in EUROS, that makes it 40 per cent more expensive here!!!
    To make matters worse, none of the sets on display are calibrated, with each maker also kicking all competing tvs a fair distance away!! Its like going to a number of small booths only displaying one single manufacturer. No side by side comparison possible.

Also, I read somewhere that both Sony and Philips were going to use the innovative Sharp Quattron technology panels in their offerings. Rumor or not.......

I am still smitten by the Philips Full Back Panel LED lighting LCD, but the award was for a bigger 46 inch panel, but can only hope that its 40inch panel has the same attributes!!
    The top of the range Sony, Samsung and LG are similarly priced, but with edge LED lighting and more reflective glass like panels, which tends to enhance the video image. I am not in a hurry, so my search for technical reviews is still on. I have learned a lot from interacting with our SIR, and it does not squash MY dreams of owning what I feel to be a an excellent TV. I regard his input as hard information on avoiding a lemon.
    I will be honest on the fact that I do not have a clue as to who makes the Philips panels, but there was a Sony full LED backlit panel sometime ago.
    A Merry Xmas and a Happy New Year to all.

Forum Regular
    The top of the range Sony, Samsung and LG are similarly priced, but with edge LED lighting and more reflective glass like panels, which tends to enhance the video image.

WHOOPS, I dropped a clanger here!!!

Before somebody notices this quote, I would like to correct this statement. ALL of the top of the range LED TVs have FULL LED backlighting!!!

Cool

Lets compare the European Image and Sound Association (EISA) winners against the above:
    Best 3D LCD is the Sony Bravia KDL 52HX900 ( sold out at the stores, replaced by slightly cheaper LX900 models, with a choice of 1 of 3 BluRay packages as a promotional gift pack thrown in).
    Best 3D Plasma awarded to Panasonic TX-P50VT20.
    Best 3D solution: Samsung UE46C8000 plus HT C6930W Home Theater setup.
    Best Value LCD goes to LG 42LE5300 model.
    Best TV technology innovation from Sharp Quattron Red, Green, Blue and Yellow as the 4th colour for better golden colors.
    And the best LCD out here: crowns the controversial Philips 46PFL9705 model.
    The Philips is controversial in the sense that I have come across 2 reviews, one of which points the accusing finger as being the WORST 3D TV with a hefty price tag, while the other practically adorns it with the BEST 3D TV, just falling short of the Plasmas!!

As for the prices, the figures are comparable but in EUROS, that makes it 40 per cent more expensive here!!!
    To make matters worse, none of the sets on display are calibrated, with each maker also kicking all competing tvs a fair distance away!! Its like going to a number of small booths only displaying one single manufacturer. No side by side comparison possible.

Also, I read somewhere that both Sony and Philips were going to use the innovative Sharp Quattron technology panels in their offerings. Rumor or not.......

I am still smitten by the Philips Full Back Panel LED lighting LCD, but the award was for a bigger 46 inch panel, but can only hope that its 40inch panel has the same attributes!!
    The top of the range Sony, Samsung and LG are similarly priced, but with edge LED lighting and more reflective glass like panels, which tends to enhance the video image. I am not in a hurry, so my search for technical reviews is still on. I have learned a lot from interacting with our SIR, and it does not squash MY dreams of owning what I feel to be a an excellent TV. I regard his input as hard information on avoiding a lemon.
    I will be honest on the fact that I do not have a clue as to who makes the Philips panels, but there was a Sony full LED backlit panel sometime ago.
    A Merry Xmas and a Happy New Year to all.
    My friend loves his Phillips 47" that is in his bedroom.
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

Cool

They need a separate category for plasma and LCD, two different types of tech.
    All I AM SAYING.
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

Well, I just recieved January issue of ConsumerReports and in this issue they tested over 14 32-inch LCDs. As you can see, Philips 32 inch LCD ranked in term of picture quality at bottom of the pack along with Westinghouse and Magnavox.

They also tested three 32-inch LG models (including LED model) and non of them received "Excellent" rating in term of picture quality. Lack of Deep Black is hurting LG models.

Here is the break down (* are 720p):

LCDs that got "Excellent" rating in term of picture quaity (HD and SD) are:

Samsung LN32C530 $540
    Vizio M32ONV $600
    *Sony KDL-32EX308 $460

LCDs that got "Very Good" rating (HD and SD) are:

LG 32LE5400 $900
    LG 32LD520 $630
    LG 32LE530 $750
    *Panasonic TC-L32X2 $425
    *Samsung UN32C4000 $600
    Sony KDL-32EX40B $700
    *Sanyo DP32670 $400
    Insignia NS-32E570A11 $500

LCDs that got "Good" rating in term of picture quality are:

Philips 32PFL4505D $550
    *Westinghouse LD-3255VX $320

LCDs that got ""Fair" rating is:

*Magnavox 32MD350B $400

Cool

Westinghouse and MAGNOVOX started out building low cost sets of average to good quality,
    got some decent reviews. Guess that was to build market share.
    THE COST CUTTERS came in and that was that.
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

Cool

Well, I just recieved January issue of ConsumerReports and in this issue they tested over 14 32-inch LCDs. As you can see, Philips 32 inch LCD ranked in term of picture quality at bottom of the pack along with Westinghouse and Magnavox.

They also tested three 32-inch LG models (including LED model) and non of them received "Excellent" rating in term of picture quality. Lack of Deep Black is hurting LG models.

Here is the break down (* are 720p):

LCDs that got "Excellent" rating in term of picture quaity (HD and SD) are:

Samsung LN32C530 $540
    Vizio M32ONV $600
    *Sony KDL-32EX308 $460

LCDs that got "Very Good" rating (HD and SD) are:

LG 32LE5400 $900
    LG 32LD520 $630
    LG 32LE530 $750
    *Panasonic TC-L32X2 $425
    *Samsung UN32C4000 $600
    Sony KDL-32EX40B $700
    *Sanyo DP32670 $400
    Insignia NS-32E570A11 $500

LCDs that got "Good" rating in term of picture quality are:

Philips 32PFL4505D $550
    *Westinghouse LD-3255VX $320

LCDs that got ""Fair" rating is:

*Magnavox 32MD350B $400
    Funny how "Vizio" keeps getting decent reviews, in spite of several on this board claiming
    its the worst company EVER.
    Gotta luv it! heh heh heh.
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

Forum Regular
    Hello Smokey,
    Thanks for the input. I have NOT yet seen the series 4000 Philips lcds here on display.
    The lowest available set here is the Philips PFL5605 32 in lcd.
    I am interested in opinions regarding the top of the range 9000 series, specifically the PFL 9705 LED 3D ready variety. The lower the number the MORE competitive the models seem to be. Personally, the only 3 things going for the Philips are the matte screen and supposedly lower response time. The 3rd is what I have seen with my own 2 eyes ( YES, I ONLY have 2!! ) and that is the motion in the better Philips sets suffers less than it does with other makes. But that as anyone will tell you is subjective. On the minus side, I found the annoying flicker when I put on the 3D specs.
    The price is horribly expensive, a discouraging 2700 € plus another 250€ for the transmitter and 2 pairs of specs ( a jaw dropping 4000 USD if one throws in the 3D optional pack) for the 40in version. My wife would gladly trade me in for much less, and I hate to admit it, but I DO NOT come with a 2 year warranty of any sorts!!!
    So, I am gritting my teeth and taking everybody´s advice: WAIT for the price slashes and promos and my CRT to fail!!
    The much cheaper 3D Samsung LCD is a non starter for me because I verified ( and Sir TTT remarked in one of our exchanges ) the LCDs just do NOT have the brightness required due to the loss when the light goes through the 3D specs!!

Cool

Hello Smokey,
    Thanks for the input. I have NOT yet seen the series 4000 Philips lcds here on display.
    The lowest available set here is the Philips PFL5605 32 in lcd.
    I am interested in opinions regarding the top of the range 9000 series, specifically the PFL 9705 LED 3D ready variety. The lower the number the MORE competitive the models seem to be. Personally, the only 3 things going for the Philips are the matte screen and supposedly lower response time. The 3rd is what I have seen with my own 2 eyes ( YES, I ONLY have 2!! ) and that is the motion in the better Philips sets suffers less than it does with other makes. But that as anyone will tell you is subjective. On the minus side, I found the annoying flicker when I put on the 3D specs.
    The price is horribly expensive, a discouraging 2700 € plus another 250€ for the transmitter and 2 pairs of specs ( a jaw dropping 4000 USD if one throws in the 3D optional pack) for the 40in version. My wife would gladly trade me in for much less, and I hate to admit it, but I DO NOT come with a 2 year warranty of any sorts!!!
    So, I am gritting my teeth and taking everybody´s advice: WAIT for the price slashes and promos and my CRT to fail!!
    The much cheaper 3D Samsung LCD is a non starter for me because I verified ( and Sir TTT remarked in one of our exchanges ) the LCDs just do NOT have the brightness required due to the loss when the light goes through the 3D specs!!
    GOOD LUCK finding a 3D set that doesn't dim.
    My last experience with 3D was on an 80" DLP, and it dimmed when 3D was on,
    and DLP is known for being bright.
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information