Forum Regular

Question Best AV Receiver for the Needs and Money

I am looking to spend the maximum of $1,500 for a receiver. This would encompass a great number of receivers, including the Yamaha RX-Z1, Yamaha RXV2400, several Denons, Pioneer Elite and Onkyo models. All seem to have pros and cons. Plan to connect to:

Hardwired PC Network for PC Audio and Video -- RJ-45
    HDTV Satellite
    HDTV Projector -- BENQ
    Progressive Scan DVD
    NHT Speakers All Around

Agonizing over decision. Prefer Yamaha, have RXV995, but want the additional Surround capabilities 7.1 and power. Onkyo has the Rj-45 jack. The room is bigger than my last.

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    With that kind of doh I'd look at NAD's T763 (I think) or something comparable too...and Harman Kardon.
    I find NAD H/K, and Yamaha have the best sounding gear at that price level...Yamaha probably with a bit more features thrown in, the other two probably with more real-world power.
    That's quite a good chunk of change for a receiver though. The new Yammies have 7.1 and tons of features...the 1400 and 2400 models even include built in parametric equalizing tools with their auto-setup and calibration feature, something that will become the standard in newer receivers.

What exactly are your need? You could get a heck of a receiver for half your budget and have money left over for a sweet power amp or new speakers or something.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc
    With that kind of doh I'd look at NAD's T763 (I think) or something comparable too...and Harman Kardon.
    I find NAD H/K, and Yamaha have the best sounding gear at that price level...Yamaha probably with a bit more features thrown in, the other two probably with more real-world power.
    That's quite a good chunk of change for a receiver though. The new Yammies have 7.1 and tons of features...the 1400 and 2400 models even include built in parametric equalizing tools with their auto-setup and calibration feature, something that will become the standard in newer receivers.

What exactly are your need? You could get a heck of a receiver for half your budget and have money left over for a sweet power amp or new speakers or something.
    Good points. In addition to clean sound and power, my key concern is connectivity PC network and Video. I probably need to take a closer look at the items you recommended. Thanks!

F1
    Quote Originally Posted by andre32256
    Good points. In addition to clean sound and power, my key concern is connectivity PC network and Video. I probably need to take a closer look at the items you recommended. Thanks!
    You may also consider Onkyo TX-NR801 that has network connection.
    http://www.onkyousa.com/model.cfm?m=...s=Receiver&p=i

Cool I concur with F1

Quote Originally Posted by F1
    You may also consider Onkyo TX-NR801 that has network connection.
    http://www.onkyousa.com/model.cfm?m=...s=Receiver&p=i
    I've owned many Onkyo receivers and the 801 seems to do all you want. In addition to being versatile and powerful, it's also relatively easy to set up if you're a noob at such things. Also you can get a new 801 for about HALF your proposed budget if that means anything to you.

Da Worfster

You may also want to look at the relatively new Marantz SR-7400. It sells for about $1000 or less, and it has a great feature set (7.1, Circle Surround, 105 watts X 7 channels, component video upconversion, etc.). The best thing about the receiver is its excellent remote control though... It has a good combination of learning capabilities, hard codes, and button layout. It is the first universal remote that I can use with all of my various components (LD player, DVD players, Web TV, VCR, HDTV, etc.) that is easy to setup, and use. It was a very good value for the $790 price I paid for it, IMO.

---Dave

Forum Regular
    Get the RXV-1400 and if it's not powerful enough for you get an outboard amp. I think you could do that for $1500.

Thread Information