AR Newbie Registered Member

Question Best 5.1 or 7.1 reciever for the money.

I am looking for a 5.1 or 7.1 channel home theater reciever. the video part does not matter to me, and I would like it to be in the $250-$500 range. The majority of my speakers are 100 watt max per speaker, so I really don't need more than like 500 watts. I would like a few suggestions, but keep it simple, I do not know all of the models. (know most brands though) any recommendations would be appreciated!

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by kane513
    I am looking for a 5.1 or 7.1 channel home theater reciever. the video part does not matter to me, and I would like it to be in the $250-$500 range. The majority of my speakers are 100 watt max per speaker, so I really don't need more than like 500 watts. I would like a few suggestions, but keep it simple, I do not know all of the models. (know most brands though) any recommendations would be appreciated!

THERE is a Denon at Circuit City that they are advertising, looks about right (7.1)

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Denon...oductDetail.do

LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

AR Newbie Registered Member

Question Update!

I have decided to spend a bit more, but want to keep it under $800. Any more suggestions?

harmon kardon makes a solid product. although i have read that some of there products were going through reliability issues. i havent had any issues with mine doubt that i will. i got my avr 146 on black friday last year for 199.00. its a solid performer. capable of full power with out quitting. where other recievers ive had did. cheap new sherwood that was.
    cant really vouch for the higher priced hk models but if this avr 146 is any indication then im sure they would be well built. by the way it is 30 watts in home theater mode 40 watts in stereo so it would fit your speakers. personnaly my mains can handle alot more than this reciever can dish out but ive yet to hear this reciever clipping.

The Pioneer Elite VSX-91TXH is selling for 711.00 at dependableaudiovideo.com. This is the best deal I know about. 110W x 7., HDMI 1.3a, DTS-HD Master Audio, Tru-HD. Room clibration is excellent. Remote could be more user friendly. Attractive unit.

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Quote Originally Posted by kane513
    What do you need/want the a/v receiver to do? You said video doesn't matter so I assume you don't need video upscaling? DTS-HD decoding? Pre-outs? I-pod dock? Satellite radio?
    A few brands I would recommend have receivers built on the same platform, but add a few tertiary features in the more expensive model that many people could do without. Quality wise they'd be equal.

The Yamaha RX-V663 and Denon AVR 1908 are fairly competent mid-level models that are worth a look around the $500 mark. I was checking these out the other day in a store, and I doubt you'll be able to hear a difference in sound quality one way or another but one might behave a bit differently in your system so who really knows for sure? Might take a look at the Onkyo TX-SR606 as well.

Onkyo's new 606 or 705 AVR's. They use high current amps. You can probably find good deals on the 605 since the new 606 is coming out.
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

onkyo seems to be the price to performance/features leader at the moment.

Thread Information