Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by gman086
    Well I took the plunge, more or less because I was pushed off the plank! My Marantz DVD player wasn't HDMI compatible with my TV and Receiver (which really has me wondering about Marantz since I have their receiver too) so I got a Sony S500 Blu-ray player and everyone plays together nice now. And you are right, the picture and sound quality (for Blu-ray discs) are second to none, amazing really. But, and there's always a BUT..., the sound quality of CD playback is inferior (both digital and analog) due to some slight background noise that the Marantz players eliminate. My biggest beef is video quality for standard DVD's - it's pathetic when compared to the Marantz and certainly no better than an el cheapo $150 player you can get at Wall Mart! The upscaler function adds noise and I found the best picture by using the source direct setting on the Blu-ray player and letting the HDTV do the upscale. And load times are ridiculous IMHO. They have a LONG way to go IMHO.

Blu-ray availability is terrible at my local Hollywood video. They don't plan to carry many HD movies until something shakes out in the "war" and I don't see that happening for a while. SO, you're left to watch standard DVD's for many titles on an "inferior" player IMHO! I may keep the Marantz for audio and standard DVD playback, just connect it using component and optical instead of HDMI. Where in the world do you guys get your Blu-ray discs? Also the rentals are $5 and not $4 like the standard ones (yeah, I know it's worth it but just still another caveat).

I'm not returning the Blu-ray player (got a smokin deal because they owed me at the video shop) and I really enjoy watching BD's but I really would wait if you're looking for a "universal" player and expect audiophile quality from your CD's or have an extensive standard DVD collection. Back to the original post - I would recommend the Marantz DV6001 Universal player since you have an extensive collection of standard DVD's. It lists at $550 but can be had for less if you shop around. You won't be sorry. Just make sure you have at least 2 inputs on your HDTV for HDMI as I was unable to switch my DV7001 thru a repeater in the receiver but every setup with differ in how the HDCP signal gets transferred between components.

My 2 cents,

G MAN
    I use a separate CD player so I can't comment on the CD playing quality of my Sony Blu-ray player. However, I am happy with the video quality of my standard DVD's and think they look great upscaled to 1080P. I have not experienced the problems you outline.

As for Blu-ray availability, I am not sure where you live, but I live in MA and they are everywhere. Blockbuster video has a ton in stock and they get all the new releases as soon as they come out. They also carry a good selection at Walmart and BJ's for decent prices ($20-$25 per title). Then you have Amazon and Netflix. According to the Netflix site, "Netflix carries nearly 450 Blu-ray DVDs". Plans on Netflix start at $4.99 per month. Any way you slice it, you really can't complain about Blu-ray availability or prices.

I'll finish this post with a compliment I got last night from a friend who came over to watch a flick. I threw in "House of 1,000 Corpses" and, not realizing what Blu-ray is all about, she looked at me and asked, "is this movie in 3D?" She just couldn't get over the picture quality. It really is amazing.

Forum Regular
    Well I have a 720p/1080i HDTV so maybe that's part of the issue, not to mention it's very hard to beat Marantz for standard DVD playback. I did swap out power conditioners today and it made a pretty big improvement in video and audio quality. I'd have to say my Blu-ray player is "acceptable" for standard DVD's now. Would really like to try the Sony ES version but at over $1,200 I can wait for them to come down in price! Should be the best of both worlds I would imagine.

Have FUN!

G MAN

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar

just a thought

Quote Originally Posted by codecougar
    I use a separate CD player so I can't comment on the CD playing quality of my Sony Blu-ray player. .

I think the standards of thought even for this may change as AV receivers continue to develop and mature. While slightly off topic for a conversation only about players, I'm guessing that a PS3 through digital outs into a receiver with solid DACs will sound very nice. I'm looking at the Onkyo 905 with its Burr Brown PCM1796s on all channels to give a compelling audio presentation. That combined with the REON video chip should make a formidable combo.

I'm still saving up for Beta.

Quote Originally Posted by johnny p
    I'm still saving up for Beta.
    I actually own a Betamax player. It was my parents since the 70's. I am not sure if it does 1080p though. I'm guessing it does because it was so far ahead of it's time.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information