• 08-28-2004, 12:13 AM
    hershon
    BassShakers What are they & are they worth it?
    Someone on another thread mentioned this and got my curiosity up. Are these things worth getting, what are the best deals for your money and I assume you only use them for DVD's not TV or CD's or am I wrong about that?
  • 08-28-2004, 03:34 AM
    N. Abstentia
    Bass shakers (aka tactile transducers) are basically like a speaker without the cone. It vibrates like the voice coil of the speaker, and instead of moving the cone it moves whatever you attach it to.

Are they worth it? That's subjective. I bought mine from Parts Express for $9 each a while back but never used them for their intended purpose. The basic premise is to get a bunch of them and attach them to something like your couch and hook up an amp to them feeding the subwoofer signal and you'll get that tactile feel in your couch. Personally my Paradigm Servo 15 more than delivers that so I don't need any more :)
  • 08-28-2004, 08:19 AM
    cam
    You can always attach one to your cat.
  • 08-28-2004, 09:19 AM
    N. Abstentia
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cam
    You can always attach one to your cat.

Like I said above, "I never used mine for the intented purpose"

Let your imagination run wild :)
  • 09-03-2004, 12:33 PM
    milesed
    shakers
    I bought 2 50 watt ones on ebay, a subwoofer amp ( for power, volume control and a crossover) hooked up to a splitter on the reciever's sub out with great results. They are attached to a 2x4 attached to my couch. When movies have low frequency effects it shakes you as much as you want.