Basic setup question

Printable View

• 11-22-2007, 07:07 AM
    JLarsen
    Basic setup question
    I just got a Sony 40XBR TV, and being somewhat new to videophiledom (after several years in audiophile land), I'm a little confused as to the optimal way to set things up.

Specifically, what is the best way to connect my standard DVD player to the TV? Currently, I have my DVD player set to 480 on the theory that the TV does a better job of upconverting than my $100 Sony DVD player. Then I'm running an HDMI cable from the player to the TV. But then I read that the TV won't upconvert anything it is seeing from an HDMI cable (which doesn't seem to make sense, but what do I know...), so that in this configuration I'm really just getting 480 (although the picture from a good DVD is stunning).

Thanks for any help you can offer.
  • 11-22-2007, 08:54 AM
    Mr Peabody
    HDMI is probably your best connection. What resolutions does your DVD offer? You should at a minimum have it set to "Progressive Scan" which will give you 480p (a solid frame) opposed to 480i (interlace, picture made from vertical and horizontal lines), said simply. If you are using a Home Theater receiver, connect the audio from the DVD to the receiver via either digital coaxial or optical cable.
  • 11-22-2007, 11:45 AM
    JLarsen
    Thanks. The DVD player is set to 480p. It will upconvert up to 1080i, but I am not using that because I figure the TV probably does a better job of upconverting.

I assume the TV's upconvert happenes automatically - but am I wrong about this? Are there any associated settings I need to fuss with?

Also, what is a good kit for calibrating the TV's settings to get the color/contrast/etc exactly right? I think I did a pretty good job by eye, but I'd welcome some help.

Thanks.

PS: My receiver is an old-school style audiophile model with RCA connections - I care a lot more about music reproduction than home theater sound so I do not plan on replacing it. Thanks for the tip, though.
  • 11-22-2007, 12:58 PM
    L.J.
    Give AVIA or DVE a try. A google should pull up plenty of info. You could also use the video calibration test that come with some THX dvd's. Not perfect but it will get you closer than doing nothing at all.

More info:
    http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-6463_7-5085739-3.html
  • 11-23-2007, 01:04 AM
    pixelthis
    Quote:

Originally Posted by JLarsen
    Thanks. The DVD player is set to 480p. It will upconvert up to 1080i, but I am not using that because I figure the TV probably does a better job of upconverting.

I assume the TV's upconvert happenes automatically - but am I wrong about this? Are there any associated settings I need to fuss with?

Also, what is a good kit for calibrating the TV's settings to get the color/contrast/etc exactly right? I think I did a pretty good job by eye, but I'd welcome some help.

Thanks.

PS: My receiver is an old-school style audiophile model with RCA connections - I care a lot more about music reproduction than home theater sound so I do not plan on replacing it. Thanks for the tip, though.

Dont worry about the upconverting because it doesnt matter.
    You can't get extra resolution without an expensive scaler, if then.
    This falls under the first law of the universe, there ain't no such thing as a free lunch.
    I thought my upconverter had a slightly smoother pic on 1080i, but it certainly wasnt sharper. My Sony DVD recorder still beats the pants off of it.
    All 480p does is get rid of some artifacts associated with interlaced video, and it allows
    the use of the HD color palete. BUT IT STILL IS A 480I PIC AS FAR AS REZ GOES.
    Upconverting is a marketing gimmick, all it does is confuse people and make it harder for both HD disc formats to differentiate their "real" HD from "upconverting" (fake) HD.
    And a lot of the deinterlacers on HD tv sets will just deinterlace 480i to 480p.
    And just analog signals, probably. Remember, even nice sets like yours are relatively
    inexpensive, and theres just not enough in the budget for a serious scaler/deinterlacer.
    Just pick the combination that looks most pleasing
  • 11-23-2007, 09:03 AM
    codecougar
    I would recommend setting your DVD player to the highest setting possible, say 1080i if it upconverts to this. Then set your tv to either "auto" or 1080i.

Then compare the PQ you are getting with the same DVD, same scene, to the way you have it set up now. Choose whichever setting looks better. My guess is that there will be no discernable difference, but worth giving it a shot.

Then go buy a Blu-ray player :)