Forum Regular

Cream Reunion Show DVD, CD & DVD-A Explain Differences

I'm trying to maximize my bucks when I purchase/rent the Cream 2005 Reunion Concerts which will be released October 4 in DVD, CD format with totally different performances of the same DVD tracks- smart move & possibly DVD-A (I'm not sure on that one).

Obviously, the DVD sound will be 5.1 & better then the CD sound, albeit their different live recordings of the exact same tracks (See listing below).

What I'm confused about, I totally profess ignorance here as I still can't understand this, if I play the DVD & get 5.1 surround sound will it be, assuming they're the same performances, the same exact sound quality as DVD-A if that is released? Or will DVD-A be noticeably superior?

Track Listings: I'm So Glad, Spoonful, Outside Woman Blues, Pressed Rat & Warthog, Sleepy Time Time, N.S.U., Badge, Politician, Sweet Wine, Rollin' & Tumblin', Stormy Monday, Deserted Cities of the Heart, Born Under a Bad Sign, We're Going Wrong, Crossroads, Sitting on Top of the World, White Room, Toad, Sunshine of Your Love, Spoonful (Alternate Takes), Sleepy Time Time (Alternate Takes), Badge (Alternate Takes), Sweet Wine (Alternate Takes), Rollin' & Tumblin', We're Going Wrong, White Room, Sunshine of Your Love

Your observation "Obviously, the DVD sound will be 5.1 & better then the CD sound" would be subjective depending upon your listening preference, as well as the mastering style/quality of the 2 formats.

With that said, DVD-A is an ENTIRELY different "animal". 5.1 (DD) cannot be compared to DVD-A in terms of listening experience since DVD-A is recorded at a much higher bit-rate, less compression and EACH track of DVD-A (6-tracks) are recorded INDEPENDANT of each other, and EACH track is recorded at FULL RANGE (20hz to 20kh) sound.

Have you listened to DVD-A? If so, have you toggled between DVD-A & 2-ch Stereo, 5-7 ch Stereo, or even 5.1? I have and the sonic difference is unbelievable. It is like comparing the sound coming from your telephone to the sound coming from your home stereo, or comparing AM to CD quality.

With that said, I will DEFINAETLY be "in" for the DVD for the good sound, but mainly for teh combination of audio & video! But, I will probably end up with a copy of the DVD_A just to experience the sonic beauty..........

Robert
    Last edited by robert393; 09-29-2005 at 11:03 AM.

JSE
    Can't wait for this DVD to get here. Assuming that all aspects of creating a CD, 5.1 DVD and a DVD-A are done well and correctly, a DVD-A "should" have better sound than a CD and probably DVD. However, there are so many variables that can effect the final sound, it's impossible to predict which of these formats will sound the best. Some DVD-A sound like crap. Some are amazing. Same for CDs and 5.1 DVDs. We will jst have to wait and see. I will defintely buy the DVD but not sure about the CD and DVD-A. Cream should be great on DVD. They are/were one of those bands that are/were better SEEN and heard when they played.

JSE

Forum Regular
    [Oh well looks like I'm going to buy both the DVD & DVD-A then as you guys seem pretty sure that DVD-A will have better sound. I'm not sure at this point if the DVD-A's are being released simulataneously. They should be making millions on this as everyone I know is going to be buying something. There is a sample of the DVD, at this link and It sounds great

http://www.rhino.com/retrovid/VideoK...=Cream&Partner

You can't burn DVD-A's right? There's no software, correct? I know using DVD Shrink you can get 5 channels but your missing something right?

Yes, Shrink will only copy the low-res tracks, not the MLP tracks.

Forum Regular

Hey NAbsentia Haven't You Figured Out a Way to Burn DVD-A's

Quote Originally Posted by N. Abstentia
    Yes, Shrink will only copy the low-res tracks, not the MLP tracks.
    I say this in all seriousness and no sarcasm, haven't you figured out a way to burn DVD-A's? If you can't do this, no one can. I have faith in you man, do it.

Thanks for the vote of confidence man

But no, a computer does not even recognize the MLP track so it can't copy it. I'm not saying it can't be done, but I gave up on it a while back. There are so few DVD-A's that I want that I just figured I'd buy them! Personally I think SACD is where it's at.

Grandpa Registered Member
    I recently read an article announcing that Dolby, Bose and Intel teamed up to create sound cards that allow DVD authoring, including the ability to create/copy multi-channel digital audio. Logic would assume that since Dolby and DTS have created hi rez formats to support HD-DVD and Blu-Ray that these new sound cards will support the new DD and DTS Hi Rez formats. I personally believe that DVD-A and SACD will be rendered obsolete by the new Hi Rez formats from DTS and Dolby.
    Last edited by patch; 10-09-2005 at 06:56 PM. Reason: spelling

Thread Information