***** Lurker

Question Avia Home Theater test tones vs. Pre/Pro Internal Test Tones

I had loaned out my Avia Test Disc a couple of years ago and since I got it back I popped it into my PS3 and got out my SPL Meter and was immediately struck by the disparity regarding the levels for the LFE. To calibrate my system with Avia I would have needed to boost the LFE significantly, which I did not do since I had previously calibrated with the internal test tones on my Rotel Pre/Pro. If I had matched the LFE test tones to 70db using Avia's test tones it would have been thunderously overpowering with my two Epik Empire subs.

Anyone have any thoughts on why the diff between Avia's test tones and my Rotel? I am now thinking it might have something to do with the test tone itself and at what frequency the Pink Noise used is emitting.

Incidentally, the Avia Test Disc has a wealth of test tones and is fun to use. I especially like the frequecy sweep from 20khz to 20hz. This edition is "old school" and was released in about 1999 or so. That probably would be part of the answer.

Cool

I wouold use the test tone from my pre-pro/receiver, since that is the unit they were
    calibrated for. The Avia was nice(a local shop used to use it) but such things have a lifespan.
    It will probably work, but why use something eleven years old? Thats a lifetime in HT years.
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

***** Lurker

Wink Thanks Pixel Dude

Appreciate your thoughts and you are most likely correct.

Thread Information