Suspended

Your current A/V receiver and new HD audio formats

I wanted to share this link to Dolby Labs where they discuss how DD+ and DD Tru HD will work with our current and future gear. It seems that at least these two formats will be compatible with our current gear and sound better than the audio from standard DVD because the original source will be better. It will still be a PCM mix down of the original though. So my take is if you want best audio performance and to be compatible now and in the future use your multi-channel analog ins/outs. *PAY ATTENTION* > Even if your newer HT receiver says it will accept/decode the newer formats, it may not. According to Dolby this will depend on the disc whether it will allow the unprocessed signal bypass the disc players internal processing. Dolby says this will be a rare disc. So don't upgrade your receiver or wait for new receivers to get HD disc players, if you have analog inputs, you are set to go NOW.

http://www.dolby.com/consumer/technology/trueHD.html

If I find anything on DTS HD I will be back.....

Forum Regular
    I would think that uncompessed pcm through the 5.1 analog outputs would be as good as audio could get.No need for new recievers.

bill
    Speakers-Jm Labs
    Disc player-Sim Audio Moon Calypso
    Pre-amp-Sim Audio P-5.3 SE
    dac= sim audio moon 300d

Amp-Sim Audio Moon I-3
    Display-Toshiba CRT
    Wires and Cables-Kimber,Straight Wire, ixos, Gutwire and shunyata research
    Sacd-Cambridge Audio
    Bluray--Sony and Cambridge Audio
    Remote-- Harmony 1100

Power-- Monster

Suspended

Forum Regular
    To me, the more these two outfits blab about their new high defintion audio, the more confusing it gets to reproduce it although the DTS explanation was somewhat clearer than the Dolby explanation. From what I have been reading on other review sites, it appears at this moment that there are no Blue Ray players that can output a bitstream of HD-Audio over the HDMI cable. So, at this moment the Onkyo receivers that have built in HD-Audio decoding for DTS and DOLBY are sort of worthless until the disc players can output the appropriate bitstream.

Suspended
    I thought the Sony s300 could. But even if the player does output HD audio via digital out and the receiver says it will decode it, there is no guarantee they will work together. Actually, Dolby said something about the disc has to be encoded to allow the signal to bypass the player's internal decoder and those discs will be rare. This situation is just another consumer's nightmare. I saw Dolby's statement as basically a warning not to waste time and money on trying to use a digital out for HD audio formats. The best all round advice would be for anyone to use the multi-channel analog out of the player. But the good thing is even if one does not have a receiver with analog inputs they can still receive DD or DTS via digital as they did with a standard DVD player and still gain some sound quality improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by musicman1999
    I would think that uncompessed pcm through the 5.1 analog outputs would be as good as audio could get.No need for new recievers.

bill
    I agree with Bill, uncompressed PCM is the way to go. In most cases, using the MC analog outputs from current BR/HD players will get the job done and allow you to use your current AVR, as already stated, or you can go the HDMI 1.1 route if you don't have that option (PS3 has no MC anaolog outs) and save a little $$$.

I own about 35 BR discs and most have a uncompressed PCM track.
    Last edited by L.J.; 07-16-2007 at 11:06 AM.

Suspended
    What is the difference between uncompressed PCM and multi-channel analog, don't they use the same outputs? And whatever is output, is analog. I'm mainly referring to the type of connection to use. What decoded signal gets output via the analog outs depends on the disc and if the menu gives you a choice doesn't it? I use the term "multi-channel analog out" referring to the 6 pak output as to not be confused with the stereo analog.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
    What is the difference between uncompressed PCM and multi-channel analog, don't they use the same outputs? And whatever is output, is analog. I'm mainly referring to the type of connection to use. What decoded signal gets output via the analog outs depends on the disc and if the menu gives you a choice doesn't it? I use the term "multi-channel analog out" referring to the 6 pak output as to not be confused with the stereo analog.
    Sorry 'bout that, I edited my last post.

Forum Regular
    Any signal that can be decoded on board can be sent out the 5.1 outputs.All the forms of DD and DTS that the player can decode can be outputed that way.Uncompressed PCM has not had DD or DTS applied and therefore should be the same as the origional master but takes up large amounts of disc space,so Bluray's larger disc capacity should be an advantage.

bill
    Speakers-Jm Labs
    Disc player-Sim Audio Moon Calypso
    Pre-amp-Sim Audio P-5.3 SE
    dac= sim audio moon 300d

Amp-Sim Audio Moon I-3
    Display-Toshiba CRT
    Wires and Cables-Kimber,Straight Wire, ixos, Gutwire and shunyata research
    Sacd-Cambridge Audio
    Bluray--Sony and Cambridge Audio
    Remote-- Harmony 1100

Power-- Monster

Suspended
    No problem, I just wanted to be sure I didn't miss something.

I don't know why, but as of yet makers of the Blu-ray discs aren't using their full capacity.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
    No problem, I just wanted to be sure I didn't miss something.

I don't know why, but as of yet makers of the Blu-ray discs aren't using their full capacity.
    AINT it the truth.
    I read in a review of sonys new "el cheapo" player that the only sound available now
    is pcm, and that the player reviewed wont even handle any of the new formats, and the best sound you can get is uncompressed 5.1 channel PCM
    Go figure (or maybe I misunderstood)
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

Forum Regular
    Here is an interesting observation from the high definition digest website.

'Ghost Rider' comes to Blu-ray with dual uncompressed PCM 5.1 surround (48kHz/16-bit/4.6mbps) and Dolby TrueHD 5.1 surround (48kHz/20-bit) mixes. It's an embarrassment of riches, and quite frankly probably an unnecessary overload aside from the coolness factor in getting two high-resolution audio formats on the same disc. Both are lossless codes, and the only real difference is that PCM is a locked bitrate format while Dolby TrueHD is variable bitrate (peaking around 3.5mbps in this case). So pick your poison, and either way you're not likely be disappointed -- both deliver the goods with aplomb.

Aside from the PCM sounding a little louder than the TrueHD, after level matching I couldn't discern a difference between the two. 'Ghost Rider' has very aggressive sound design and is a treat either way. The rears are pretty much a bulldozer, with a wall of discrete effects almost constant in the action scenes. Imaging is airy, the 360-degree effect usually awesome and directional effects localized with great accuracy

Suspended
    I need to check again but when looking for a Blu-ray player, I thought the Sony s300 had a full compliment of HD audio decoders. Panasonic is well equipped. The current Samsung BD-P1200 is lacking but the new fall models may be better.

Thread Information