• 12-22-2005, 08:16 AM
    BC Dave
    Auto set-up function and subwoofer
    Hi,

    I was helping a buddy set up his new home theater system last night. He picked up a Denon AVR-1906 receiver, four Paradigm Titans, the matching center channel CC-170?(all version 4) and a Precision Acoustics 12 inch sub for about $1,500 CDN, which I thought was a great deal. Anyway, we went through the auto set-up drill and watched the receiver analyze and set all the levels for the five speakers and sub and everything sounded balanced and very impressive afterwards. My question is: Does auto-set up using a microphone supplied with the Denon receiver preclude the need for manually fiddling around with the sub to balance it with the other speakers? It sure seemed to.

    Thx. in advance.
  • 12-22-2005, 08:24 AM
    westcott
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by BC Dave
    Hi,
    Does auto-set up using a microphone supplied with the Denon receiver preclude the need for manually fiddling around with the sub to balance it with the other speakers? It sure seemed to.

    Thx. in advance.

    I would not be able to sleep at night unless I at least verified that the distances and dB adjustments matche what I got with my own SPL meter and tape measurer.

    A DVD like Digital Video essentials or AVIA will provide all the test tones and video patterns necessary to really tweak your system and get the most out of it.

    Happy Holidays!
  • 12-22-2005, 08:34 AM
    kexodusc
    Most auto-setups are deadly accurate at detecting speaker distances and delays with incredible precision.
    The exception is subwoofers. Room acoustics really scew the readings, those low frequencies are just too much for even multi-thousand dollar setups to get right. It's usually hit and miss, best to enter those in manually just to verify.
    Same goes for built in Parametric Equalization, very hit and miss on most receivers.
  • 12-22-2005, 08:34 AM
    GMichael
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by BC Dave
    Hi,

    I was helping a buddy set up his new home theater system last night. He picked up a Denon AVR-1906 receiver, four Paradigm Titans, the matching center channel CC-170?(all version 4) and a Precision Acoustics 12 inch sub for about $1,500 CDN, which I thought was a great deal. Anyway, we went through the auto set-up drill and watched the receiver analyze and set all the levels for the five speakers and sub and everything sounded balanced and very impressive afterwards. My question is: Does auto-set up using a microphone supplied with the Denon receiver preclude the need for manually fiddling around with the sub to balance it with the other speakers? It sure seemed to.

    Thx. in advance.

    Hi Dave,

    The auto set-ups do a great job in my oppinion. But like Westcott, I enjoyed checking and tweeking things to my liking.

    Enjoy the music and the holidays.
  • 12-22-2005, 09:40 AM
    shokhead
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by kexodusc
    Most auto-setups are deadly accurate at detecting speaker distances and delays with incredible precision.
    The exception is subwoofers. Room acoustics really scew the readings, those low frequencies are just too much for even multi-thousand dollar setups to get right. It's usually hit and miss, best to enter those in manually just to verify.
    Same goes for built in Parametric Equalization, very hit and miss on most receivers.

    Deadly accurate isnt the first word that comes to mind when i think of auto setup.
  • 12-22-2005, 10:35 AM
    kexodusc
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by shokhead
    Deadly accurate isnt the first word that comes to mind when i think of auto setup.

    Really, Shocky? I'm a bit surprised by this. I've used it on several models, and it always nails distance within 6 inches, and SPL within 1 dB or better. Those little microphones are higher quality than the cheap mic in the notoriously inaccurate RadioShack SPL meter.

    Parametric Eq is another story...those are hit and miss.
  • 12-22-2005, 10:39 AM
    shokhead
    There ya go,6 inches. A half foot off is not good,is it? First time i've heard that,notoriously inaccurare RS meter.
  • 12-22-2005, 12:07 PM
    kexodusc
    Well considering most receivers allow you adjustments of 1 foot, or 1 ms, and "some" offer you increments of 0.5 ft, I'd say 6 inches is pretty darn good.

    The RS meter is a great value, and mine's served me well, but the further you deviate from 1000 Hz, the less accurate it is. Especially in C weighting. There's some cheapo Extech meters out there that work a bit better, but they only offer A weighting so you need more test tones...or just find yourself a reliable Galaxy Audio meter...I inherrited one from my old band. http://www.fullcompass.com/Products/pages/SKU--59470/