• 05-31-2010, 04:12 PM
    wildaxe123
    Arcam dv 137 or Cambridge Audio 650bd
    Hi folks

I'm considering getting a dvd player. Video quality of obviously important however audio is critical! The upscaling on the Arcam dv 137 is expected to produce a very good video but I assume will be significantly inferior to a decent blu ray. But how about the audio? The Arcam is known for producing exceptional quality audio and can be used as a good cd player too. Not sure about the audio quality on the Cambridge Audio 650bd.

I'd love to be able to compare them side by side but that's not an option.

Arcams are selling now for around $550 used while you can buy a Cambridge for $780.

I'll be using an Arcam 350 avr as the receiver.

Anyone have experience with these units who can offer some suggestions?
  • 05-31-2010, 06:08 PM
    Mr Peabody
    Being a Blu-ray player has nothing to do with how well it will play regular DVD. In fact, there was a phase where the DVD playback was not so good at all in BD players. I think most of the good ones have overcome that flaw at this point.

Personally, I would buy the BD-650 to have the Blu-ray playback and HD audio formats. Your CD playback will depend on where the decoding is done. For instance, if you use a digital connection there will be negligible difference between the Arcam and Cambridge because in both cases the decoding will be done inside the receiver with it's internal DAC. With using analog connection where each player would do it's own decoding my bet would be on the Arcam for best sound quality.

Other factors might be, do you have an HDTV? Do you plan to upgrade at some point if not and would you upgrade eventually to Blu-ray? If yes to any of those it wouldn't seem to make sense to buy just a DVD player.
  • 06-01-2010, 09:06 AM
    audio amateur
    Definitely get the Cambridge, if you don't already own a Blu-ray player.
  • 06-01-2010, 11:33 AM
    pixelthis
    If you buy anything but a BLU you will regret it.
    Take a look at the latest DVD releases, not all but quite a few are bare bones.
    DVD will be a legacy product for years, but BLU, (which is really an evolution of
    DVD) is already starting to supplant it.
    NOT to mention, you will start using BLU whenever possible.
    I really dont see why anyone would buy a DVD only player these days.
    Dont have HD?
    You will sooner or later, might as well be ready.
    BLU is it.:1:
  • 06-05-2010, 01:12 PM
    musicman1999
    Wildaxe

I currently have the Cambridge in my system and gave the Arcam an extended audition when it was released. If memory serves the Arcam was an average dvd player at best, considering that it was $2400 when it came out. As a cd player, using the analog outs as Mr P mentioned, it was pretty good, about the same as an Arcam cd-73 that i was using at the time, however i remember it being a really good SACD player. The Cambridge has the advantage of Bluray and i would say is a little better with dvd. Analog wise it is not as good a cd player as the Arcam but will run with it on the high-rez formats.

hope this helps
    bill
  • 06-05-2010, 01:55 PM
    Mr Peabody
    Bill, good to see you. You replaced the Pioneer, huh? How does the Cambridge compare on Blu-ray to the old Pioneer? Either Arcam really dropped the ball with the 137 or Cambridge did a bang up job with their BDP. At $2400.00 and from Arcam you'd expect all aspects to be stellar.
  • 06-05-2010, 07:32 PM
    musicman1999
    hey mr p.

how are things? indeed i did replace the pioneer and the cambridge is a nice little unit, video side it is a clear winner over the pioneer, on the audio side, neither is a world beater with cd's but i was looking for a new sacd player so i thought i would give the cambridge a try and it works very well. with the arcam, i had it home for about a week testing it for my local shop and not that it was a bad player, just not worth the asking price. it was well built and looked good but i thought it should be a better cd player than my cd-73 and it just was not.

thanks
    bill
  • 06-05-2010, 07:40 PM
    Mr Peabody
    Bill, do you still have the HT set up with the Anthem, and what did you do with your Sim disc player?
  • 06-06-2010, 03:08 AM
    musicman1999
    the anthem has been sent to a new home and i have added a pair of focal 1007be and am currently running in 2 channel mode only with everything being fed through the moon 1-3. the 1007be's are so crystal clear and image so well that i can watch a film with a really dense sound scape, such as avatar, and really not miss the rear speakers. i may go back to some form of surround in the future but right now i want to put all my audio resources into the best 2 channel i can. also i still have the calypso and it is still going strong making great music with the i-3 feeding the focals.

bill