Suspended

Anyone up to date on what xv color technology is?

I noticed the new Sony Blu-ray player will be able to play the xv color discs. Is this something that will be encoded in Blu-ray discs or will this be a whole other format? I know the technology is supposed to bring 80% more color, which seems like an amazingly high gain. I did some looking and turned up bits and pieces but never really got to the root of what the technology was and how it will be used.

This s300 really has my attention. It will only upconvert or show 1080p via HDMI. This may force me into HDMI for video. It says your TV has to be HDCP compliant which has me worried some. I guess I'll have to dig my manual out. I also think my HDTV is only 1080i, I'm wondering if my best picture quality would be 720p?

I think I hijacked my own thread before it got started Any help on any of this would be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
    I noticed the new Sony Blu-ray player will be able to play the xv color discs. Is this something that will be encoded in Blu-ray discs or will this be a whole other format? I know the technology is supposed to bring 80% more color, which seems like an amazingly high gain. I did some looking and turned up bits and pieces but never really got to the root of what the technology was and how it will be used.

This s300 really has my attention. It will only upconvert or show 1080p via HDMI. This may force me into HDMI for video. It says your TV has to be HDCP compliant which has me worried some. I guess I'll have to dig my manual out. I also think my HDTV is only 1080i, I'm wondering if my best picture quality would be 720p?

I think I hijacked my own thread before it got started Any help on any of this would be appreciated.
    dont know about the color deal, but it does sound exciting, and proves my point that
    both the blue ray and hd camps are holding back capebilities in order to sell more players
    in the future by introducing these "new" features
    As for hdcp hdmi is supposed to have it, defacto, if you use an adapter cable to watch
    hdmi through a DVI input you might have a problem
    And 720p is better than 1080i, but I wouldnt worry, 1080i still has an exelent picture,
    the differences mainly involve the problems you always have with interlaced pictures
    and putting the two fields of 540 together, but you wont notice this most of the time
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
    I read on this a little but didn't pay too much attention because I'm not flying out to drop $$$ on a new TV. Anyways if I remember correctly all products most support it in order to work, including your TV. Plus there's no software (Blu-ray or HD-DVD) that supports it right now.

Thread Information