Forum Regular

Digital Cable Users! I have a setup question!

I have a digital cable receiver/box from Time Warner and it is actually a DVR. I cannot find any audio settings if my life depended on it. My satellite receiver had like a PCM setting like the DVD player but where in hell do I find this on this on the cable receiver?
    Wooch, Sir TT, etal are a part of a Northern California Conspiracy!
    Smokey, admit you are using your receiver as a prepro!!

JSE
    Nick,

I don't think you can control the audio on your DVR Box. I can't on mine. I have the 8300 I think. I have mine hooked up with a Digital Coax cable. Looking through the manual online it does not show any audio options.

JSE

Forum Regular
    JSE, you say you have your hooked up with the Digital Coax Cable so are you getting sound on all channels? I ask this because when I had my DVR connected to my Pioneer only with the digital coax, i got sound from some channels but not all. Does this behavior affect your setup and situation? Thanks.

JSE
    I do run a digital coax and I get what ever sound is being broadcasted. Some channels have surround sound, some have standard stereo. Everynow and then some shows on Discovery seem like they are only coming out of one channel. Very weird. But, I do get sound from all channels. I have my receiver's input set to "Auto" so it recognizes what ever signal is coming in.

Sorry I can't be of more help. You might just have a bad DVR box. I'm on my third DVR. The hard drives on the first two went bad after several months and kept rebooting. Mainly whe recording!

JSE

Quote Originally Posted by nick4433
    I have a digital cable receiver/box from Time Warner and it is actually a DVR. I cannot find any audio settings if my life depended on it. My satellite receiver had like a PCM setting like the DVD player but where in hell do I find this on this on the cable receiver?

Hi Nick,

I'm not quite sure where your problem is. Do you have your reciever set to an "auto-detect" mode?

I've got my motorola dual tuner DVR hooked to my HT receiver via a toslink fiber cable. It will automatically switch to the best audio mode available for that channel. This is usually either DD5.1 or DD2/0. If I would want to listen to something in Dpl then I would have to get out of the auto-detect mode. Because it detects DD2/0 is better than Dolby pro logic.

But it does switch automatically and all stations always have sound. I also have regular ol' RCA wires going from the DVR cable box to my Tv. This way I can choose to use the sound from the television or turn on my HT system, turn down my Tv volume...and listen thru my stereo.

Hope you figure it out...but it should switch autmatically. I'd take another read thru you ht receiver instructions.

good luck,

dan

enjoy the music!

Forum Regular

NickatNight DIdn't the Cable People Install This?

On your remote control you have a button called setup It does exactly that Scroll down the setup bar and then go to option A for more settings. Your Time Warner Cable Installer should have set this up for you. I recommend you either call Time warner up to have someone come to your house or you call them and go over it with them on the phone.

Forum Regular
    gonefishin, I do have my receiver set on Auto and trust me, on some channels there is no sound coming at all.

EdwardGein, I did use the setup button and chose the "A" option but it does not have settings for any kind of audio out.

I called up Time Warner and they are sending me a new box. Will keep you guys posted. Thanks for the help.

Forum Regular
    I also have the Sci Atl 8300 with Time Warner (Rochester, NY) and I have to hook both the digital audio and stereo as some of the local stations do NOT broadcast in anything buy analog stereo.

So for me, some of the local stations will not provide TM with a digital audio feed, and hence TM simply passes through the analog stereo signal via the 8300.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by cjtalbot
    I also have the Sci Atl 8300 with Time Warner (Rochester, NY) and I have to hook both the digital audio and stereo as some of the local stations do NOT broadcast in anything buy analog stereo.

So for me, some of the local stations will not provide TM with a digital audio feed, and hence TM simply passes through the analog stereo signal via the 8300.
    Yeap, that's what I am experiencing with my box which is exactly identical to yours. Anyway, I have received word that they swapped my box. Can't wait to get home and try the new one out. The old one also needed rebooting from time to time.

JSE
    Yeap, that's what I am experiencing with my box which is exactly identical to yours. Anyway, I have received word that they swapped my box. Can't wait to get home and try the new one out. The old one also needed rebooting from time to time.
    Let's cross our fingers!

JSE

Forum Regular
    OK, it seems that I now have the Sci Atl 8300 and the previous one was a earlier generation model box. Anyway, I hooked up the box with only the digital coax cable and everything works and sounds pretty good. The only annoying thing is when I tune in some local channels like some community college channel the sound level is doubled.
    Is there a way I can omit these channels and have like a favorite list of my channels and only surf through those?

Thread Information