AR Newbie Registered Member

Question VSX-82 - how to upconvert/scale to 1080i?

* hope I got the correct section for this *

How do I get this unit to upconvert or scale the signal to 1080i? I recently picked up a PS3 and my tv dont support 720p (yes thats the next upgrade), most of the games out now for the PS3 are made for 720p so I had hoped my receiver would upconvert the 720 signal to 1080. I thought wrong...

My initial guess is I need to use HDMI cables, seems most upconvert systems need that connection to perform upconversion. I called Pioneer but the guy was clueless and recommended that I give it a try with HDMI to the receiver with component out (my tv also doesnt have any HDMI ports, yes I know). Given the price of these HDMI cables id prefer not to "test" the theory out and hoped that someone here may have some insight on this receiver and how to get upscaling working.

Do I need what ever needs upscaling to be connected to the receiver with HDMI cables? And will the signal then be upconverted to my TV through the component cables? Or am I just stuck and need to pick up a new TV sooner then later? I dont know where the upconversion would take place, from the input signal out either component or HDMI or only upconverts on the HDMI out port.

I have the VSX-81 TX and it says the only way you can up convert is from analog inputs to HDMI output. which means you will need to use the HDMI output to you TV for the upscaling to work.
    HT
    Pioneer Elite SC lx502
    Pioneer Elite N50
    Pioneer Cassette CTM66R
    Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD

Vizio P series 2160p
    Panamax 5300 EX

AR Newbie Registered Member
    Quote Originally Posted by recoveryone
    I have the VSX-81 TX and it says the only way you can up convert is from analog inputs to HDMI output. which means you will need to use the HDMI output to you TV for the upscaling to work.
    Afraid of that... thanks the time for a new tv is coming close

Thread Information