• 01-26-2008, 04:31 PM
    Mr Peabody
    Anyone else have a Dish receiver?
    I have a Dishnet 722 HD DVR and I'm using a Transparent optical connection for audio. I noticed that the cable will not lock in. I push the cable in as far as it will go but if the cable is bumped it can fall out. I can't figure why it won't lock. Is there a difference on ends of various brands or could I have sprung the input some how? Any thoughts?
  • 01-26-2008, 08:17 PM
    Rich-n-Texas
    I'm only familiar with Toslink optical cables Mr. P and I've never had a problem with them not locking in place. I've had a couple of instances where I forgot to remove the dust cover but other than that, no problems. Do these Transparent type cable jacks have doors on them? Maybe that little door's broke and causing an obstruction.
  • 01-26-2008, 08:35 PM
    Mr Peabody
    This is Toslink, Transparent is the brand. I get sound fine but the connection is not tight. If some one was to bump the cable it would fall right out. I'm thinking I might have damaged the door on the input.
  • 01-26-2008, 10:05 PM
    pixelthis
    I had a similar problem with mine, the tos connector isn't intended to wordk with the new female plugs with "doors" , and the door sometimes squeezes the plug out.
    I just started using the coax digital plug. Problem solved.
    Or you could put a piece of duct tape over it, that works but looks rather tacky:1:
  • 01-27-2008, 08:19 AM
    Mr Peabody
    If Dish receivers had a coax digital output I wouldn't have had to post this thread. To my knowledge Dish has never had coax digital outputs.
  • 01-27-2008, 08:41 AM
    Rich-n-Texas
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
    This is Toslink, Transparent is the brand. I get sound fine but the connection is not tight. If some one was to bump the cable it would fall right out. I'm thinking I might have damaged the door on the input.

Sorry. Never heard of that brand. If a different brand of cable doesn't work any better then I'd suspect it's the jack on the satellite box. I've had various DirecTV boxes and other appliances but again, never any problems with the connection. You may have to fight with your provider to get the box replaced.
  • 01-27-2008, 08:51 AM
    Mr Peabody
    It works so I don't know if I want to go through the hassle of replacing the box. I also am kicking around in the back of my mind to upgrade to a more modern processor with HDMI later this year. This receiver has HDMI, so if I did that the optical wouldn't be necessary.

So if anyone would want a killer deal on a high end processor and don't need HDMI let me know.
  • 01-27-2008, 10:56 AM
    Rich-n-Texas
    Here comes upgraditis! :ihih:
  • 01-28-2008, 12:27 AM
    pixelthis
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich-n-Texas
    Sorry. Never heard of that brand. If a different brand of cable doesn't work any better then I'd suspect it's the jack on the satellite box. I've had various DirecTV boxes and other appliances but again, never any problems with the connection. You may have to fight with your provider to get the box replaced.

FYI its not a "brand", its a type.
    Toslink is the type of connector used for optical cables in electronic devices.
    And I had a dish receiver with both, might want to check the back for an orange plug, Mr p
  • 01-28-2008, 12:29 AM
    pixelthis
    but dont worry about it RICH, FOR someone who wont read up about this stuff you're doing fine:crazy:
  • 01-28-2008, 05:27 AM
    Rich-n-Texas
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pixelthis
    Toslink is the type of connector used for optical cables in electronic devices.
    And I had a dish receiver with both, might want to check the back for an orange plug, Mr p

Uhhh... Mr P said it was a "brand". Reread. And quote him instead of trying to make me look bad.
  • 01-28-2008, 05:32 AM
    Rich-n-Texas
    Quote:

but dont worry about it RICH, FOR someone who wont read up about this stuff you're doing fine:crazy:

Quote:

(slamming hand in refrigerator door)
    PLEASE! I'm trying to play nice!

You're talking out your a$$ pix.
  • 01-28-2008, 06:52 AM
    johnny p
    I know my Dish Network receiver won't accept the phone line that needs to be connected..... I pop it in, there's no click, etc...... it just "falls out" what a piece. not sure why they made it like this..... The guy came and installed it, and when he left, I checked his work (of course!) and found the cable had fallen out!!! ha! They warn you not to remove it, or you could get additional charges (they're full of it, they want you to be able to get pay-per-view etc, as well as monitor what you have access to)
  • 01-28-2008, 05:24 PM
    Mr Peabody
    Hey, Rich, don't blame it on me. I didn't do it.
  • 01-28-2008, 07:22 PM
    Rich-n-Texas
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Peabody

I know. His mom did it and now it's too late for the rest of us. :sad:
  • 01-29-2008, 01:36 AM
    pixelthis
    Quote:

Uhhh... Mr P said it was a "brand". Reread. And quote him instead of trying to make me look bad.

I don't have to make you look "bad", you're doing that just fine all by yourself.

I did reread and he had to explain to you that toslink is a type of cable, transparent
    is the "brand", probably cost five times what its worth.
    But don't worry, you'll learn, rich, that is if you ever start reading up on this stuff
  • 01-29-2008, 03:35 PM
    Rich-n-Texas
    Quote:

I don't have to make you look "bad", you're doing that just fine all by yourself.

I did reread and he had to explain to you that toslink is a type of cable, transparent
    is the "brand", probably cost five times what its worth.
    But don't worry, you'll learn, rich, that is if you ever start reading up on this stuff

So let's review...
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr P
    I have a Dishnet 722 HD DVR and I'm using a Transparent optical connection for audio. I noticed that the cable will not lock in.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich
    I'm only familiar with Toslink optical cables Mr. P and I've never had a problem with them not locking in place.

Quote:

This is Toslink, Transparent is the brand.

Quote:

I just started using the coax digital plug. Problem solved.

Quote:

If Dish receivers had a coax digital output I wouldn't have had to post this thread. To my knowledge Dish has never had coax digital outputs.

Quote:

.................................................. .................

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich
    Sorry. Never heard of that brand. If a different brand of cable doesn't work any better then I'd suspect it's the jack on the satellite box. I've had various DirecTV boxes and other appliances but again, never any problems with the connection.

Quote:

HUH??? But Mr P said it's a brand. T-R-A-N-S-P-A-R-E-N-T IS A BRAND. Did I miss something here?
    Quote:

Quote:

Do what? You asked if anybody had any thoughts as to why your Transparent cable wouldn't stay plugged in. I said I'm not familiar with Transparent optical cables... I've only used Toslink. You said Transparent is a brand. Okay, Transparent is a brand of optical cable with Toslink ends. Okay. I got it. I got it after you told me Transparent is a brand.

So where the F**K does he get this I don't know what a Toslink cable is? I've been using them since my Bookshelf Surround sound purchase 6 years ago. Now watch, he's next going to have a wisecrack about my Panasonic CD stereo system SA-AK600 as a means of deflecting attention away from the fact that once again, he f**ked up.

Like I said, I read you like a book.
    <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->
  • 01-29-2008, 05:20 PM
    Mr Peabody
    In addition, I'd like to see a link or pic of the Dish receiver with coax digital audio. It just don't exist.
  • 01-30-2008, 12:50 AM
    pixelthis
    Quote:

So let's review...

HUH??? But Mr P said it's a brand. T-R-A-N-S-P-A-R-E-N-T IS A BRAND. Did I miss something here?

Do what? You asked if anybody had any thoughts as to why your Transparent cable wouldn't stay plugged in. I said I'm not familiar with Transparent optical cables... I've only used Toslink. You said Transparent is a brand. Okay, Transparent is a brand of optical cable with Toslink ends. Okay. I got it. I got it after you told me Transparent is a brand.

So where the F**K does he get this I don't know what a Toslink cable is? I've been using them since my Bookshelf Surround sound purchase 6 years ago. Now watch, he's next going to have a wisecrack about my Panasonic CD stereo system SA-AK600 as a means of deflecting attention away from the fact that once again, he f**ked up.

Like I said, I read you like a book.

you read me like a "book" eh?
    IN OTHER words not at all.

You know richie, I had a yammy, my experience would be invaluable with your mail order bride coming in from Jersey.
    You need to play nice, not MY fault if I just can't ignore a really good opening line.
    Guess its just the Don RICKLES in me:1:
  • 01-30-2008, 12:54 AM
    pixelthis
    And go back and read your post, you said you were only familar with toslink,
    not transparent, with either means that you thought both were the same thing.
    You either thought toslink was a "brand" or that transparent was a type of cable.
    Just trying to help you out there:1: